Is the Grappling Technique forum becoming less enjoyable because of the hardcore advertising?

Stephan Kesting

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The last time I used a computer to access the forum I was accosted on every page and every thread by an autoplay video about a shaving razor...

And today, on the Sherdog app on my phone, I got caught in overlay hell. It appears I had been randomly selected as a winner of some sort, and by the time I got out of that rabbithole I was thoroughly annoyed and pissed off.

I realize that it costs money to run a site like this. And I'm not against anyone making a buck either.

But I feel that the user experience is getting degraded to such an extent that people are going to stay away. I know I visit, comment, and post less often on Sherdog than I used to, and this sort of interruption marketing is probably responsible for most of that.

It wasn't always like this folks!

Anyone else feel this way? Anyone else posting/visiting less often than they used to because of this?

Stephan Kesting
Grapplearts.com

I'm a big fan of Adblock (I recommend it highly), so i have not experienced these issues. But I definitely agree that intrusive advertising tuns people off.

I'm a big fan of Adblock (I recommend it highly), so i have not experienced these issues. But I definitely agree that intrusive advertising tuns people off.

uBlock and a good HOSTS file will improve browsing experience immensely.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I also realize sites cost money, but I refuse to allow sites to use the bandwidth I pay for to create a terrible user experience. I have no problem with unobtrusive non-animated, non-overlay banners. Anything that moves, makes noise, or displaces content gets routed straight to 0.0.0.0.

i see no ads.

the grappling forum is less enjoyable because the regulars stopped posting here.

Ahh come on, Kesting gets a pass because they stuff he advertises is high quality grappling material.

yeah it's pretty over the top. on a computer it's ok , but pretty much unusable on a tablet or mobile device. cause the page just scrolls around automatically as the ads change size. or you try to click on something and the same time an ad pops up and then you accidentally click on the add , and next thing you know you are in the appstore...

Yes. This is one of main reasons why I don't visit here as often.

Maybe the people asking where the ads are are on the mobile version of the site.

On my phone I use the Sherdog app, and that's almost unusable now due to the crazy scrolling ad thingamabob

Yes, the ads suck and distract from the overall experience. I dont come here as often as before due to the adds.

All the cool kids are at reddit.

I think a lot of good users got banned here and just never came back. But yeah, reddit has more action than this place does. The cole slaw days are long gone.
And Lloyd being struck down also probably aided to this place dying.

Lol
I honestly thought this post was going to be about all your post that you are advertising your jiu jitsu videos to buy.

My answer would be no because I enjoy those too.

I get no ads.. must be you. I'm sure you can come up with a technique on avoiding getting the ads and post it with a preview to buy the full video from your website

The site redesign really cranked up the ads. Before I had no issues. Now it's bad enough that I don't even want to log in.

I'm sure there is a way I could configure things to kill the ads. But I'm getting older now and just don't feel like spending the time to do so.

A lot of it is probably just the getting older part though. Even if the ads stopped I'd probably still not be around as much as I used to be.

I'm a black belt now so it's to the point that people just come up to me every day and ask me the typical thread stuff in person. I'm on the mat about six hours a week or so. Probably about half that time is talking about the same stuff that I used to talk about on here, so I don't bother when I get home anymore. I'd be bored to tears.

These forums have a generational aspect to them. The UG is the oldest, and it has been dead for a long, long time. It's starting to die off here some, but I still check here a lot for updates. Reddit seems to have the most action now because it's a younger generation.

Whatever forum has the most blue/purple belts will have the most action. That's the online posting belt range for sure. That's the point where you have just enough knowledge to know everything there is. Sherdog has a lot of black belts now so it makes sense it is more subdued.

Ten years ago the UG was awesome. But all those guys were blue/purple belts back then mostly. It sort of makes sense when you look at the generational cycle of things.

I don't feel that I have much to offer anymore. I lost my old account when the format changed. I randomly look for fun troll threads.
This site had its time and place in my life. I've moved on, but will feel nostalgic at times.

Just get ad block guys.. I haven't seen a single ad since I'm here.. even if I'm part of the older generation that don't come here that often!

Ahh come on, Kesting gets a pass because they stuff he advertises is high quality grappling material.
According to the E-mail I just received, he has a 19-DVD set on how to block ads. But there are only ten copies left, so order now!!!

Back