Is the current LW Top 10 the greatest Top in the history of the UFC?

LHW just before it fell apart was pretty legit

Jones
Gus
Shad
DC
Glover
Rumble
Hendo
Davis
Bader
Shogun

This thread started off with a good premise but it ended up just making me re-realize how much LHW and HW have utterly degraded over the past 10 years.

But we are more "evolved" now right marketing drones?
The LHW and HW don't just look elite, they're stacked with legends.

August 2005

205 lb division world rankings

1. Wanderlei Silva
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Randy Couture
4. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
5. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
6. Ricardo Arona
7. Alistair Overeem
8. Tito Ortiz
9. Renato "Babalu" Sobral
10. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

Honorable mentions: Vitor Belfort, Murilo "Ninja" Rua, Igor Vovchanchyn, Dan Henderson, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Lyoto Machida
To think if there was only one premier org at that time the majority of those dudes would have been fighting each other

bxIZ4iv.gif

I’d always take one of those LHW rankings.

Probably around June 2011 when your top five was:

Jones
Shogun
Rashad
Machida
Rampage

And the remainder of the top 10 consisted of
Forrest
Phil Davis
Ryan Bader (before he drops out of the top 10 after getting finished by Tito)
Dan Henderson
Gaygard Mousassi

LW currently is awesome... But that entire lhw top 10 is fucking legendary
Except Thiago Silva
Thiago Silva may not be a world-beater NOW but at the time that list was made he was 13-1, with the only loss being to champ Machida and with 12 of his 13 wins being either brutal KOs or Subs. Dude made ppl shit themselves with sheer looks until Lyoto knocked him out.

EDIT: Just read your response to someone else - a beast but not a legend. I agree.

Last edited:
Thiago Silva may not be a world-beater NOW but at the time that list was made he was 13-1, with the only loss being to champ Machida and with 12 of his 13 wins being either brutal KOs or Subs. Dude made ppl shit themselves with sheer looks until Lyoto knocked him out.

EDIT: Just read your response to someone else - a beast but not a legend. I agree.

Reading this reminded me of how great Machida was. He was the only person who emerged that looked like he was on Anderson Silva’s level. I believed in the Machida Era as much as Rogan did- he was slicing open people like Silva, Evans and Sokoudjou when those guys looked like absolute world beaters.

Back