Is the berimbolo still king?

are the miyao brothers still active?

They are they often crush people with ruthless pressure passing nowadays but they still berimbolo when on the bottom.
Paulo didn't compete this worlds because of his steroid suspension (he is jacked nowadays too).

What rule change hurt it?
I think it was 2014 but IBJJF strted DQing people for pulling at the ankle/shin while pushing with their leg saying it torqued the knee. A bunch of people got DQed at Euros that year over this rule change. Then Refs started actively penalizing people when they double guard pulled. Both of these things effected the Bolo game because then one of the competitors would HAVE to play top to avoid the double DQ. After that the Miyaos started playing top alot more as well.

Isn't the berimbolo game only more dangerous for people so extremely stiff that any sort of jiu jitsu is a lethal danger to them?
Quite a few of the big bolo players at the lower belts have neck and back injuries. The bolo in itself in drilling might not be that unhealthy when done correctly but with a moving opponent shifting his weight while you are inverted is really unhealthy for the spine.

Quite a few of the big bolo players at the lower belts have neck and back injuries. The bolo in itself in drilling might not be that unhealthy when done correctly but with a moving opponent shifting his weight while you are inverted is really unhealthy for the spine.

I have never felt in any neck or spine discomfort when playing the berimbolo. OTOH I don't feel any discomfort on the neck when people from the closed guard can opener (the elbows in the neck are the annoying part from it).

Inverting to brute force some stupid leg lock or 50/50 is the thing that feels not good for the spine.

Isn't the berimbolo game only more dangerous for people so extremely stiff that any sort of jiu jitsu is a lethal danger to them?

I don't think it's unfair to say that pretty much any form of inversion that puts the spine under load while dislocated can carry cumulative injury potential.

It's your loss berimbolos are fun to drill and do.
Im sure it is. And if someone ever wants to show me the correct way to drill the technique then im all for it. However i use my bjj for MMA, when the punches/kicks start flying simplicity is key to victory.

I don't think it's unfair to say that pretty much any form of inversion that puts the spine under load while dislocated can carry cumulative injury potential.

With berimbolos I don't feel there is any significant weight being put on me. The inverted person in the berimbolo is kinda on top.
From experience with doing berimbolo specific training even with girls I feel it's one of the positions where weight matters the least.

Guys now that you talked about it, I have a doubt.

I was sure that they just banned this particular grip with the double armed underhook (like for example the one Gui did here )

but I thought the single arm underhook would still be fine.. at this point I'm confused tho. Is just simply underhooking the leg from DLR banned now?

You can underhook with one hand or even underhook with the lapel.

^ I had no idea about that rule.. ibjjf is nuts with these rules

^ I had no idea about that rule.. ibjjf is nuts with these rules

People where putting some nasty pressure with the gable grip double underhook from the de la riva. As far as I know it's a gray area where you might or might not be DQ'ed for that. In the gi underhooking with the lapel is a ton better anyway, it's legal and you have insanely strong attacks from there.

Back