Is Syrian war over?

It's not over but with Obama and Hillary out of the way ISIS are collapsing and the region now has a chance.

Not for another year or two, but Assad is almost guaranteed to win at this point.

Simple answer: Not exactly

But from a military and realpolitik sense? Almost.

Complicated question: Has the Sunni/Shiite schism been healed?

It's over in the sense of full scale conventional war but I'd be shocked if terrorism didn't continue.

Perhaps...it depends on what's going on in Lebanon and what Saudi Arabia/Israel/America have in store for that country. If there is a civil war brewing once again there, it might spill over unto Syria and drag them back in a conflict.

i don't think is over, because the us still has like 10 or more military camps there.
the us will support the break up of syria of course.

It's far from over. ISIS is defeat whom never was part of the original resistance to Assad.

The Rebels are still alive and strong. IN Idlib,Aleppe country side and Latakia and also in Soutern front with Daraa and surrending areas. Eastern Ghouta, Badia, Homs-Rastan and other areas follow..

The Rebels are strong enough to go on for years to come

No. The US/Saudi alliance will try one more final push to fund islamists before its all said and done.

We should probably do nothing but let them all kill each other until they’re done with it

No, it is at its worst point in history.

I wouldn't say that given past bloodshed and assassinations.

However, the schism is certainly burning a bit hot right now...

Not as hot as it was though, because a lot of the youthful, vigorous young Arab and Persian fellows from poorer families have ended up buried in the desert.

The manpower drain on Hezbollah, Hamas, ISIS, AQ affiliates, and all the rest has really done the West a short term favor.

Runaway truck sightings aside.

Simple answer: Not exactly

But from a military and realpolitik sense? Almost.

Complicated question: Has the Sunni/Shiite schism been healed?
In Syria I don't think the issue is really theological, its more in-group/out-group stuff. The Alawites don't have some religious issue with the Sunnis, they're just painfully aware of their status as a minority and are fighting tooth and nail to keep their privileged position under the Assad government. The Sunni majority isn't happy being ruled over by an authoritarian minority group but there are major Sunni business families that support the Assads because they formed a quid pro quo arrangement.

Back