Is Stipe Miocic overrated?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the world was to end today, Junior dos Santos, Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum would go down as three of the best fighters to have ever fought in MMA, not just their weight class.

I say all that, to say this.

Has Stipe beaten a great fighter, who isn't either shot, on the decline or clearly outside of their prime?

There is this misconception that if you are winning fights you're still in your prime - this is incorrect. Roy Jones Jr. didn't magically become out of his prime when he was KO'd by Tarver, he had been out of his prime years for quite some time. Bernard Hopkins whooped Kelly Pavlik's ass and he was WAY PAST his prime years. Anderson Silva was almost 40 and was still winning fights. Shogun Rua can still beat top 10 talent but is way past his best days.

Let's have a look at Stipe's best wins:

Mark Hunt was almost 41 years old. He had already fought in 63 fights (Kickboxing and MMA combined). He fought Stipe after being absolutely beaten to death to Junior dos Santos, having a 25 minute all-time brutal war with Antonio Silva, and being TKO'd by Werdum. His most recent win coming into that fight was Roy Nelson.

Andrei Arlovski was almost 37 years old. He had already fought in 41 fights, alongside being knocked out 7 times prior to that fight. Andrei was on a run of dull decisions, put alongside the odd good performance against shot fighters like Antonio Silva, and a Travis Browne who trained under Edmond. Arlovski was arguably shot years before this fight, never mind this late on in his career. He has lost his last 4 fights after Stipe, so it shows that it wasn't exactly and exception.

Fabricio Werdum was almost 39 when Stipe knocked him out. Not the same longevity as Hunt and Arlovski, but 29 fights and a 14 year career in MMA is still a long stint. Werdum was not shot, but I personally believe that his inactivity before the fight (took a year off after Cain) took a toll on his physique and overall fitness. He was never shredded, but the love-handles were on full show against Stipe. USADA perhaps? Definitely not the best version of Werdum, at least not athletically. Still Stipe's best win in my opinion.

Overeem was 37 at the time, and had been knocked out 8 times prior. We all know how talented Overeem is, but his chin is severely compromised. The guy has 59 MMA bouts, alongside a small kickboxing record also. The guy has been competing for 17 years in combat sports (at the time of the fight) and through all of that, he almost won the contest.

Junior dos Santos. Yes, only 33 years old, the youngest elite competitor that Stipe has beaten, but there is more to the story. Many agree that JDS has not physically looked the same, nor performed the same, since the inception of USADA. This is hearsay, but I don't believe he's the same guy anymore. Then you throw in the two monumental beatings he took from Cain Velasquez, a stunning KO at the hands of Overeem, and a prior war with Stipe himself.

Begs the question though doesn't it, which Heavyweight in their prime has Stipe really taken out?

Don't get me wrong, the resume is incredible on paper, but when you take the deeper dive, it's not so clear.

Thoughts?

If you become a champion of a division in the UFC you are in no way overrated.

/thread

Cain destroys him imo. He got fortunate in the second fight with jds. Dos santos just backed up with no offence or defence then got ktfo. Still he is legit and apart from healthy seal level cain only maybe ngannou beats him.

He's a savage so I wouldn't say overated, but I have no doubt in my mind when he squares off with Francis he will be finished. Could he beat prime Overeem, JDS or Werdum? Probably not but that isn't saying much considering they are some of the greatest HW's ever.

wasted effort for pressing all those buttons on your keyboard for this thread about underrated Stipe : )

He wasn't overrated before he was champion.

Why do people say he's overrated. He is not Bisping.

Besides the one he has already beten. Who is realy realy good? Cain and Ngannou sure. But heavyweight is a smal division. And you dont get an title fight after a few fights.

No he's underrated. People have picked against him in his last three fights and he won all three convincingly.

I think he gets the respect and credit he deserves. He's not the GOAT nor do people claim him to be.

But he's no bum either, and nobody claims he is.

He also seems like a great guy!

TS I get your points, but Stipe isn't winning close decisions here. Stipe has been stopping his opponents, the last 4 in the first round. He has been impressive.

I think Stipe is rated fine as his skills have improved every fight.

It's the HW division that is thin right now filled with old beaten up fighters and very few prospects to strengthen the division.

Cain destroys him imo. He got fortunate in the second fight with jds. Dos santos just backed up with no offence or defence then got ktfo. Still he is legit and apart from healthy seal level cain only maybe ngannou beats him.
I wanna see stipe vs Cain.....Do you think it will ever happen?

If you truly knew what you where watching, this wouldn't be a question. Stipe has improved so much over the years, it's stupid. He use to be a timid 1-2 fighter, with the occasional leg kick. Now he puts his combo's together well, cuts off the cage, and has shown the ability to adapt during fights. Some high level fighters can't even do this. JDS for example.

If you become a champion of a division in the UFC you are in no way overrated.

/thread
That's a naive way of looking at the word "overrated".

You could be Kobe Bryant who is easily a top 10 player of all-time in the NBA, arguably top 5. If people are always saying you are better than Michael Jordan but cannot back it up with tangible analysis, he would be deemed to be overrated. The same thing for someone like Cam Newton, there is easily an argument that he is overrated as an NFL QB. His hype outweighs his productivity.

You can be amazing in your field, and still be overrated.

Everybody I don't like or don't care for are overrated and overhyped while everyone I like is underrated or under appreciated

Stipe is good but he doesn't have charisma and it-factor so he can't be among the greats.
Ngannou on the other hand would become the GOAT immediately if he became the champ.

If the world was to end today, Junior dos Santos, Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum would go down as three of the best fighters to have ever fought in MMA, not just their weight class.

I say all that, to say this.

Has Stipe beaten a great fighter, who isn't either shot, on the decline or clearly outside of their prime?

There is this misconception that if you are winning fights you're still in your prime - this is incorrect. Roy Jones Jr. didn't magically become out of his prime when he was KO'd by Tarver, he had been out of his prime years for quite some time. Bernard Hopkins whooped Kelly Pavlik's ass and he was WAY PAST his prime years. Anderson Silva was almost 40 and was still winning fights. Shogun Rua can still beat top 10 talent but is way past his best days.

Let's have a look at Stipe's best wins:

Mark Hunt was almost 41 years old. He had already fought in 63 fights (Kickboxing and MMA combined). He fought Stipe after being absolutely beaten to death to Junior dos Santos, having a 25 minute all-time brutal war with Antonio Silva, and being TKO'd by Werdum. His most recent win coming into that fight was Roy Nelson.

Andrei Arlovski was almost 37 years old. He had already fought in 41 fights, alongside being knocked out 7 times prior to that fight. Andrei was on a run of dull decisions, put alongside the odd good performance against shot fighters like Antonio Silva, and a Travis Browne who trained under Edmond. Arlovski was arguably shot years before this fight, never mind this late on in his career. He has lost his last 4 fights after Stipe, so it shows that it wasn't exactly and exception.

Fabricio Werdum was almost 39 when Stipe knocked him out. Not the same longevity as Hunt and Arlovski, but 29 fights and a 14 year career in MMA is still a long stint. Werdum was not shot, but I personally believe that his inactivity before the fight (took a year off after Cain) took a toll on his physique and overall fitness. He was never shredded, but the love-handles were on full show against Stipe. USADA perhaps? Definitely not the best version of Werdum, at least not athletically. Still Stipe's best win in my opinion.

Overeem was 37 at the time, and had been knocked out 8 times prior. We all know how talented Overeem is, but his chin is severely compromised. The guy has 59 MMA bouts, alongside a small kickboxing record also. The guy has been competing for 17 years in combat sports (at the time of the fight) and through all of that, he almost won the contest.

Junior dos Santos. Yes, only 33 years old, the youngest elite competitor that Stipe has beaten, but there is more to the story. Many agree that JDS has not physically looked the same, nor performed the same, since the inception of USADA. This is hearsay, but I don't believe he's the same guy anymore. Then you throw in the two monumental beatings he took from Cain Velasquez, a stunning KO at the hands of Overeem, and a prior war with Stipe himself.

Begs the question though doesn't it, which Heavyweight in their prime has Stipe really taken out?

Don't get me wrong, the resume is incredible on paper, but when you take the deeper dive, it's not so clear.

Thoughts?

This reads like an anthology of the "Big book of excuses". Hunt, Arlovski, Werdum, Overeem and JDS series.

I get all that and you are right with the analysis of those fighters.

BUT

What else was it for him ? that was the best the world of HW MMA had to offer, that was UFC the clear head and shoulders league for many many years now. What more can he have done ? he took out those presented in his path.

Sucks for him and for the fans, we all wanted a more deep and competitive division with more great fighters and younger, talented, in their prime.. you think Stipe wouldn't wanted great big draws fights that can sell 1 mill instead of 300k.

He's a savage so I wouldn't say overated, but I have no doubt in my mind when he squares off with Francis he will be finished. Could he beat prime Overeem, JDS or Werdum? Probably not but that isn't saying much considering they are some of the greatest HW's ever.
I think he'd beat Prime Overeem like Bigfoot did. The funny thing is that Stipe isn't in his prime physically, He's 35 years old lol. Stipe in his prime might get snuffed in the 1st round vs Prime Overeem, who knows, but "Refined Stipe" is better than any available version of 'Reem.

'Reem fan signing out.

Back