Is stepping with a punch more powerful than a stationary firmly rooted punch?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Second question how do you step forward with a punch and add extra power to the punch with the step?

Slightly lift your front feet dash with back foot place front foot back on floor and when it hits the floor your punch should be extended. Lifting of foot is only slightly, shoulder should extend and be placed near chin, chin tucked.

I should add that most fighters dont use these things to create extra power, but use it for position and range control / closing in or in reverse to move out of harms way.

There's also switch hitting, in which fighters switch stance mid combination, its to mask power shots of the southpaw side like a loaded left southpaw liverpunch or a hard knee aimed at the liver.

While the shots can be hard the added movement on all these moves isnt maximum power but controlling distance or hiding intentions.

Last edited:
kinda, at the end of the day, you need to get your entire weight into your strike, if you can't regardless of movement, it won't do much

Personally I find moving or dashing into the strike to be heaps stronger, but I do ground myself pushing everything into it, so it works out

why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

If you're familiar with the typical weight transfer of straights and hooks, just amplify that with the step. Step and use the forward momentum to amplify the grounded weight transfer.

Get the other guy to step in too, use his motion.

Last edited:
yes taking little steps with the jab and cross add power to it.

Get the other guy to step in too, use his motion.
1xbkgt.gif

Like this. Both fighters stepping in.

Think of a car. You swinging a bat in a stationary car hurts more or on a moving car coming towards you? Now put your target on another vehicle and have that vehicle coming at you too. Even more damage. Momentum..

1xbkgt.gif

Think of a car. You swinging a bat in a stationary car hurts more or on a moving car coming towards you? Now put your target on another vehicle and have that vehicle coming at you too. Even more damage. Momentum..

Yeah, and it doesn't take much. An inch of forward motion goes a long way with a little timing and audacity thrown in.

Last edited:
I remember hearing about Jack Dempsey utilizing this method of punching (the falling step) and I think he explains in his book.

9781501111488.jpg

p.s. I like to make kung fu noise while folding my clothes.

Yes. In boxing classes I see more advanced guys being advised to trow right hook with a step to the left or left hook with a step to the right if they really want to slot a powerful shot.

I remember hearing about Jack Dempsey utilizing this method of punching (the falling step) and I think he explains in his book.

9781501111488.jpg

p.s. I like to make kung fu noise while folding my clothes.

Yea thats a bit more advanced and a more powerful way to do it. Thankyou. But Im just talking a regular step and regular boxing technique not advanced jack dempsey stuff

1xbkgt.gif

That is true but also being firmly rooted and using reactionary force is more powerful than an object that isnt secured to the ground so much?

How can you do both?

You either take a step with 1 foot which is a meaningless step that doesn't add much weight or you move the rear foot too as you punch which adds the momentum but then you are not connected to the ground , if you throw after the step with 2 feet you are now connected to the ground but you lost most of your forward momentum??????????????

Its like one or the other not both?

I remember watching a Fedor seminar and he said "take a tiny step with every punch: jab-step, cross-step"

As a Karate guy I found that odd (so unlike what we were taught) but I tried it out in sparring later and it does add power, especially to the jab.

Great example. Especially the jab feint & then jab to the body that allows Hendo to generate much more power out of hip rotation for his right.

IIRC it was hendo's use of a pendulum kick to hit the inside of bisping's leg that led to this strike. He made it look like he was just throwing another inside leg kick ( something he was landing the whole fight ), but instead used it to close distance and came with an overhand right at the same time.

IIRC it was hendo's use of a pendulum kick to hit the inside of bisping's leg that led to this strike. He made it look like he was just throwing another inside leg kick ( something he was landing the whole fight ), but instead used it to close distance and came with an overhand right at the same time.

Ah thanks. I looked at it strictly from a boxing perspective and there its a classic combo double jab with second jab to the center of the body to get rotation and load up the right.

Ah thanks. I looked at it strictly from a boxing perspective and there its a classic combo double jab with second jab to the center of the body to get rotation and load up the right.

That's a money one too, no doubt. Works great on tall guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back