Is Stephen Curry the 2nd Greatest PG of All Time?

He's gotten out of the 1st round every time he's been in the yoffs. Staph is a better shooter, WallGOAT is a way better pure PG.
I respectfully think you're crazy if you think Wall is a better player than Curry.

who is better...?
CP3 & Wall, for example. Tony Parker was a better point guard 2 years ago. Curry's an elite scorer, he's not good in half court sets on both sides. Klay guards the point, while they set screens for Steph to shoot.

CP3 & Wall, for example. Tony Parker was a better point guard 2 years ago. Curry's an elite scorer, he's not good in half court sets on both sides. Klay guards the point, while they set screens for Steph to shoot.
You're gonna have to give me more than that to persuade me. Why are Chris Paul and John Wall better than Curry? Because they average more assists? Or because they play more defense?

who is better...?

We've already been over this, but as far as point guards who play the point guard role:

John Wall
Chris Paul
Mike Conley
Rustle Westbrick (While not even close to a traditional point guard, he's still a much better distributor than Curry, by a very wide margin)
James Harden (Traditionally plays the 2 guard, but when injected into the Rockets as a point guard, averaged double digit assists in his first season in the role)

Curry may be a better all-around player than some of these guys, but as a point guard? Not at all. He's not a good distributor. He's not a great play-maker. He's better off the ball than he is with it in his hands. He's not even the Warriors' primary ball-handler. That team is basically running two shooting guards with the ball in either Green's or Durant's hands.

He's an incredible shooter. Maybe the best of all time. But just because he's listed as a point guard doesn't mean he fulfills that particular role. He's nowhere near Magic's level in that case. There are better point guards in the league right now, and history is riddled with better examples.

He'd be top ten as a shooting guard though.

I respectfully think you're crazy if you think Wall is a better player than Curry.
Well then you should reread what I wrote. Because I didn't say he was a better player. I said he was a better pure point guard, which he is. He's a better pure point guard than Westbrook too, but Westbrook is a better overall player. But in terms of running an offense Wall > Staph and Wall > Westbrook. Both are better shooters/scorers than him (staph is such a better shooter it's laughable to compare them).

Well then you should reread what I wrote. Because I didn't say he was a better player. I said he was a better pure point guard, which he is. He's a better pure point guard than Westbrook too, but Westbrook is a better overall player. But in terms of running an offense Wall > Staph and Wall > Westbrook. Both are better shooters/scorers than him (staph is so much a better shooter it's laughable to compare them).

John Wall averages 19 points and 9 assists for his career, with 10+ assists a game in the last three seasons, and that's been with a mediocre team around him. Could you imagine someone with his vision, IQ, and accuracy on a team full of guys who can knock down shots consistently?

Those are Chris Paul numbers without the benefit of Chris Paul's team.

You're gonna have to give me more than that to persuade me. Why are Chris Paul and John Wall better than Curry? Because they average more assists? Or because they play more defense?
Well they do average more assists and play better defense. Staph has handles like nobody's business, but he does not actually run the offense very often (or very well in all honesty). Paul and Wall are actually charged with setting up and running the offense. When you include shooting, obviously Staph jumps way up the ranks, but if you're doing this as who is the best PG, not who is the best player, Steph doesn't really have an argument. Wall and Paul break down defenses far more effectively and play better defense on the point. Steph is still a better offensive weapon though because his shot making is ridiculous. But those aren't the same things. Same issue with Kyrie as a PG.

Last edited:
John Wall averages 19 points and 9 assists for his career, with 10+ assists a game in the last three seasons, and that's been with a mediocre team around him. Could you imagine someone with his vision, IQ, and accuracy on a team full of guys who can knock down shots consistently?

Those are Chris Paul numbers without the benefit of Chris Paul's team.
Seriously. He turned Otto Porter, Garrett Temple, Kelly Oubre, Markief Morris, Gortat and others into legitimate scoring options purely by getting them a ton of open shots.

Seriously. He turned Otto Porter, Garrett Temple, Kelly Oubre, Markief Morris, Gortat and others into legitimate scoring options purely by getting them a ton of open shots.

And while revamping his own scoring game. 23 and 10 this season. That's a great game for most players in the league. He averaged it.

People underestimate just how good he really is.

We've already been over this, but as far as point guards who play the point guard role:

John Wall
Chris Paul
Mike Conley
Rustle Westbrick (While not even close to a traditional point guard, he's still a much better distributor than Curry, by a very wide margin)
James Harden (Traditionally plays the 2 guard, but when injected into the Rockets as a point guard, averaged double digit assists in his first season in the role)

Curry may be a better all-around player than some of these guys, but as a point guard? Not at all. He's not a good distributor. He's not a great play-maker. He's better off the ball than he is with it in his hands. He's not even the Warriors' primary ball-handler. That team is basically running two shooting guards with the ball in either Green's or Durant's hands.

He's an incredible shooter. Maybe the best of all time. But just because he's listed as a point guard doesn't mean he fulfills that particular role. He's nowhere near Magic's level in that case. There are better point guards in the league right now, and history is riddled with better examples.

He'd be top ten as a shooting guard though.
Ah I really disagree. I can really type out a reason for so, and a good one at that, but I suspect neither of us are going to change stances on the subject. I'd be glad to if you actually would like to discuss it though

Well they do average more assists and play better defense. Staph has handles like nobody's business, but he does not actually run the offense very often (or very well in all honesty). Paul and Wall are actually charged with setting up and running the offense. When you include shooting, obviously Staph jumps way up the ranks, but if you're doing this as who is the best PG, not who is the best player, Steph doesn't really have an argument. Wall and Paul break down defenses far more effectively and play better defense on the point. Steph is still a better offensive weapon though because his shot making is ridiculous. But those aren't the same things. Same issue with Kyrie as a PG.
That's a product of the team, though. Which other team in the league has as many play makers as the Warriors? None. Even w their Pg not leading the team in assists, they lead the league in the category and were on a historic pace (not sure if they actually achieved it but you get the point). More so, it's not as though Curry's assist to turnover ratio is much worse than more conventional point guards. Wall, Paul, Westbrook HAVE to dominate the ball in order for their offense to have success while that's not the case for Curry. The point I'm trying to make it- looking at his assists per game or per 36 are highly misleading because of the type of offense that they run. You can't really tell me that, while watching a game, Curry isn't a good distributor

My problem w Chris Paul and John Wall (Westbrook too), is their obnoxious ball dominance. Wall got better this season but all three have spurts of "dribble the ball until there is 6 seconds left on the clock then either shoot or pass". It's so inefficient and so easy to game plan against in the playoffs (reason why Paul chokes in the playoffs, maybe?)

That's a product of the team, though. Which other team in the league has as many play makers as the Warriors? None. Even w their Pg not leading the team in assists, they lead the league in the category and were on a historic pace (not sure if they actually achieved it but you get the point). More so, it's not as though Curry's assist to turnover ratio is much worse than more conventional point guards. Wall, Paul, Westbrook HAVE to dominate the ball in order for their offense to have success while that's not the case for Curry. The point I'm trying to make it- looking at his assists per game or per 36 are highly misleading because of the type of offense that they run. You can't really tell me that, while watching a game, Curry isn't a good distributor

My problem w Chris Paul and John Wall (Westbrook too), is their obnoxious ball dominance. Wall got better this season but all three have spurts of "dribble the ball until there is 6 seconds left on the clock then either shoot or pass". It's so inefficient and so easy to game plan against in the playoffs (reason why Paul chokes in the playoffs, maybe?)

Wall doesn't "dominate" the ball. Especially not to the degree that Westbrook and Paul do.

Wall was ball dominant earlier in his career because he has always been, by far, the best player on his team. In the last three seasons, his team has gotten at least a bit better, and he runs real offensive sets that see him play off the ball around 30-40% of the time with Beal or Porter handling on the perimeter.

And you know it's a new era when it's considered bad that the point guard has a high usage rate. Unless you have an elite passing big, like Lebron James, the point guard SHOULD start the offensive sets with the ball in his hands. Westbrook and Wall can both afford high usage rates, because their drives collapse the defense and open inside out plays. For Wall, this has been a highly successful scheme.

And speaking of "misleading stats", Curry's Assist/Turnover ratio doesn't seem "that bad", but you're forgetting that he has an inordinate usage rate for a real point guard. Wall has a better ratio with more assists and handles the ball significantly more than Curry, who has become the tertiary ball-handler while Durant and Green are on the floor.

No one is arguing against Curry being a great player. He's just not a great point guard.

I like Magic and Kyrie Better. (Magic even better than Jordan). But, since we're sticking to PGs, Curry is probably the best scoring PG of all time. However, I like to compare him to a field-goal kicker more than a QB like Magic was. He's able to hit for 3 when the team around him is doing well, but he's more of a dependent player.

I'm just sayin'...show me a point guard other than Magic Johnson with a better resume than Steph Curry

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Faa4516b69b2b482e7dfc6fc7f2b087a6%2F204876189%2F632534594.jpg

5 year prime AVGs
25.2 pts / 7.3 asts / 4.5 rbs / 1.9stls

2x NBA Champion
2x NBA MVP
4x All NBA
4x All Star
NBA Scoring Champion
NBA Steals Leader
NBA 3pt FGs Leader(5x)

*"Greatest Shooter Ever"
*Led his team to the greatest regular season record(73-9)
*Co-Led his team to the greatest playoff record(16-1)

2nd greatest on the warios

1) UTEP 2STEP
2) FiTP

Was Magic Johnson a PG? Isn't he 6'9 how can he be PG?

LOL 6'9" point, and the best of all time. Magic went to the Finals 9 times in 11 years (1979-90), winning 5 of them. Its too bad HIV cut his career short.

he's a score first Steve Nash w/ a green light
I think that's a fair description. It's by necessity. He's not the facilitator Nash was, even when he wants to be (lacks that type of court vision and makes some horrendous passes when he's trying to be Magic), but he's a better shooter (not that Nash wasn't a really good shooter). Both of them are cans defensively.

John Wall is the best point guard in the league right now, and I don't think it's particularly close.
Juan Walmart just got brutally outplayed by Isaiah Thomas

You know that's not true. Stop it.
How is it not true?

Thomas: 27 and 7 on 60% TS, 117 ORtg, 23 turnovers
Walmart: 25 and 10 on 49% TS, 107 ORtg, 28 turnovers

Do you realize how bad you have to be shaating to have a sub-500 TS%?

Back