Is soccer the greatest sport?

Is soccer the greatest sport?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
In terms of worldwide popularity for sure, and it's not even close.

I'm a big sports fan but being from Canada, soccer just wasn't that big a deal when I grew up. A lot more kids play now though. We follow hockey obviously but a lot of other sports as well.

I was probably around 15 when I started wrapping my mind around just how popular soccer is outside of Canada and America. There's no other sport that's even remotely close. It still kind of blows my mind that it's basically a religion in almost every other country in the world. I've grown to appreciate it.

Ive found myself watching rugby on the rare occasion its on TV. Brutal bastards. Its fun.

Ive found myself watching rugby on the rare occasion its on TV. Brutal bastards. Its fun.
It's on constantly here in uk, there's always an international tourney or league game or something. Plus it generally schools second sport after footy

shame you don't really get international tournament stuff with american sports

Last edited:

Rugby union and rugby league are bith awesome for sure man.

There is an american Major League Rugby (confusingly for americans, a union competition) that recently started. Early days, not many teams yet and not the best standard but its q foundation at least. I believe they stream their games on YT.

To be honest, MMA is the greatest combination of extreme skill, physical toughness and endurance, and athleticism...and fighting is a lot more real as an ability than tossing a ball around.
That could apply to Rugby Union and Rugby League if refereeing to the ultimate team sport ?

I’ve decided to watch World Cup soccer this year. To my surprise, I’ve been entertained. That said, I’ve been a little confused in regards to how a team earns points within their group bracket. For eg. I saw a game where a team scored one point and the other team scored 0 and the commentator said, “Well, this one point game will allow them to squeeze out 3 points.”

My guess so far has been:

A win = 2 points plus any goal made?

Draw = 1 point plus any goal made.

Loss = 0 points, and goals made don’t count toward bracket points.

Anyway, anyone with more know please help.

All that said, I have never seen a whinier, bitchier group of adult men than a professional soccer team. I know they’re trying to win foul calls, but have some fucking dignity!!

I’ve decided to watch World Cup soccer this year. To my surprise, I’ve been entertained. That said, I’ve been a little confused in regards to how a team earns points within their group bracket. For eg. I saw a game where a team scored one point and the other team scored 0 and the commentator said, “Well, this one point game will allow them to squeeze out 3 points.”

My guess so far has been:

A win = 2 points plus any goal made?

Draw = 1 point plus any goal made.

Loss = 0 points, and goals made don’t count toward bracket points.

Anyway, anyone with more know please help.

All that said, I have never seen a whinier, bitchier group of adult men than a professional soccer team. I know they’re trying to win foul calls, but have some fucking dignity!!
It's simple:

Win = 3 points to winner
Tie = 1 point each
Loss = 0

Quantity of goals scored is used just if two teams have the same points in the end of the round. There are more like goals suffered, number of fouls, etc.

No, but it's fun to play. It's the most popular in the world for no other reason than it costs nothing to play therefore even the biggest shitholes can put together a team.

It's simple:

Win = 3 points to winner
Tie = 1 point each
Loss = 0

Quantity of goals scored is used just if two teams have the same points in the end of the round. There are more like goals suffered, number of fouls, etc.

Thanks.

a9pqorZ_700b.jpg

I'm guessing part of the reason soccer isn't popular in the U.S. and Canada is the blatant flopping. Fruit cakes acting like they've been shot is a joke. How the fuck is that still okay?

Alex Ovechkin took a hockey puck in the mouth during the playoffs this year. He checked to make sure the teeth he had left were there and that was the end of it.

Neymar should have recieved a red card yesterday. Flailing his arms and dropping as if he were hit by a sniper when a defender's arm grazed his chest is absolutely fucking pathetic.

I'm guessing part of the reason soccer isn't popular in the U.S. and Canada is the blatant flopping. Fruit cakes acting like they've been shot is a joke. How the fuck is that still okay?

Alex Ovechkin took a hockey puck in the mouth during the playoffs this year. He checked to make sure the teeth he had left were there and that was the end of it.

Neymar should have recieved a red card yesterday. Flailing his arms and dropping as if he were hit by a sniper when a defender's arm grazed his chest is absolutely fucking pathetic.

I suppose the problem with soccer is that flopping, and getting free kicks/penalties, is really the only way to prevent yourself from being roughed up physically on the soccer field. You can't retaliate without getting immediately red carded, and you don't really have any proper equipment to resist the hits, unlike hockey players. So players catch on pretty quick to the culture of diving and start whining to the refs about every minor potential foul. It's still better than getting your legs chopped off and having your career ended early.

There's no real reward to just "manning up" and plucking forward. And there's no punishment for flopping.

Hockey's not that popular in the US.
Basketball has a horrible flopping problem. Worse than Soccer

I suppose the problem with soccer is that flopping, and getting free kicks/penalties, is really the only way to prevent yourself from being roughed up physically on the soccer field. You can't retaliate without getting immediately red carded, and you don't really have any proper equipment to resist the hits, unlike hockey players. So players catch on pretty quick to the culture of diving and start whining to the refs about every minor potential

There's no real reward to just "manning up" and plucking forward. And there's no punishment for flopping.
Hockey's not that popular in the US.
Basketball has a horrible flopping problem. Worse than Soccer

Players flop in any sport where there’s contact.

Soccer players roll around screaming in agony. Often times when they’re not even touched. Big difference.

Back