Is Sam Harris a "neuroscientist"? Or a scientist at all? At least not a good one.

lecter

not even webscale
@Silver
Reaction score
This will without a doubt trigger a lot of people pretty badly but it's an interesting read.

With Sam Harris consistently being promoted as “a neuroscientist,” and using this label to bash religion and other leading scientists, perhaps we should take a closer look at Sam Harris’s PhD work. After all, since Harris abandoned science after securing his PhD, it is the PhD work alone, all by itself, that Harris uses to self-label as “a neuroscientist.”

It’s not clear how long it took Harris to get his PhD. According to Wiki, he received his BA in Philosophy in 2000 and his PhD in Neuroscience in 2009. He, along with several others, published their work in PLoS ONE: The Neural Correlates of Religious and Nonreligious Belief

Statistician William Briggs analyzed the contents of this paper in an in-depth, 7-part series that begins here.

"During the course of my investigation of scientism and bad science, I have read a great many bad, poorly reasoned papers. This one might not be the worst, but it deserves a prize for mangling the largest number of things simultaneously. What is fascinating, and what I do not here explore, is why this paper was not only published but why it is believed by others. It is sure evidence, I think, that scientists are no different than anybody else in wanting their cherished beliefs upheld such that they are willing to grasp at any confirmatory evidence, no matter how slight, blemished, or suspect that evidence might be.

I do not claim, and I do not believe, that Harris and his team cheated, lied, or willfully misled. I have given sufficient argument to show the authors wore such opaque blinders that they could not see what they were doing and so choose to write down that which they imagined they saw, which was a preconceived, incoherent concoction about how “Christians” would differ from “rational” thinkers."

The post covers much more and concludes:

1. Since getting his PhD, he has conducted no scientific research.
2. Since getting his PhD, he has taught no university/college courses in neuroscience.
3. Since getting his PhD, he has devoted his efforts to his anti-religious think tank and publishing books, such as the one on using drugs and meditation to discover truths about our reality.
4. He received his PhD through partial funding from his own atheist organization.
5. He didn’t do any of the experiments for his own thesis work.
6. His PhD thesis was about how science can determine what is right and wrong and he turned it into a book for sale.
7. Since publishing his thesis/book, Harris has yet to use science to resolve a single moral dispute.

I'd say rather than 'a neuroscientist', let alone 'the neuroscientist', he's somebody who got a PhD in neuroscience with an extraordinary bad dissertation, sponsored by an organization he started himself and which doesn't really exist anymore (in its original sense) and hasn't done any scientific work at all other than his not so valuable dissertation. I mean that doesn't make him a fraud, he has his PhD after all but it's a bit cringy.

The blog post isn't new and the author clearly has an agenda but his claims are bulletproof facts.
https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/neuroscientist-sam-harris/

Sam Harris was never my friend.

No but seriously, guy has never impressed me at all.

Oh, look, our resident white supremacist doesn't like Sam Harris.

Pew pew.

I don't know enough about neuroscience to judge, but I highly suspect he did his doctoral work for the agenda of being able to attach a title to his name/appeal to authority on ideas he was already pushing. It's not unheard of.

A neuroscientist is someone who has specialized knowledge in the field of neuroscience. Sam Harris finished his PhD in neuroscience from UCLA. All the other points are irrelevant.

A neuroscientist is someone who has specialized knowledge in the field of neuroscience.
Bullshit. Knowledge doesn't make a scientist. Scientific contributions and research do.

I don't know enough about neuroscience to judge, but I highly suspect he did his doctoral work for the agenda of being able to attach a title to his name/appeal to authority on ideas he was already pushing. It's not unheard of.
Probably so. And he's a smart, hardworking guy who undoubtedly earned whatever credits were required and got all the checkboxes checked off.

Dr. AnnMaria De Mars

used psychology to mold Ronda at a young age

result level?

purple

Awesome argumentation.
I guess he is a real neuroscientist now.
Don't be mad that I know how to steal a winning strategy.

Why would anyone on earth listen to a guy who tried to capitalize on the fall of Milo with a next-day thread positioning Spencer as the "White Nationalist Commander in Chief"? I don't have to argue with you.

You're the real deal.

Why would anyone on earth listen to a guy who tried to capitalize on the fall of Milo with a next-day thread positioning Spencer as the "White Nationalist Commander in Chief"? I don't have to argue with you.

You're the real deal.

I don't care about Milo, I disagree with Spencer, you don't have to listen to me since I didn't write the post and to dismiss an argument based on characteristics you assign to a person is called ad-hominem.

I don't think someone loses their PhD or title just because they choose not to pursue an academic career doing research and teaching.

Don't be mad that I know how to steal a winning strategy.

You're the real deal.
Even if he is the real deal, what does this have to do with Sam Harris?

Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't care about Milo, I disagree with Spencer, you don't have to listen to me since I didn't write the post and to dismiss an argument based on characteristics you assign to a person is called ad-hominem.
Damn, a four syllable word from a white supremacist. Is your nose bleeding?

No, you don't disagree with Spencer, but I like that you have to pretend that you don't. Harris is one of the smartest men alive. He's also one of the only liberals with a sensible position on Islam and the identity politics crap. He rapes Cenk so badly that Cenk has to have a cry sesh two weeks later where he talks out the other side of his mouth and loses one of his own employees over it.

That's why you're keen to assassinate him. We don't want competition on this front. We don't want people cozying up to the religiously un-oppressive political left/center.

Damn, a four syllable word from a white supremacist. Is your nose bleeding?

No, you don't disagree with Spencer, but I like that you have to pretend that you don't.
You aren't even trolling are you? You legitimately believe I'm a white supremacist? lmao
Harris is one of the smartest men alive.
No. No, he is not.
That's why you're keen to assassinate him. We don't want competition on this front. We don't want people cozying up to the religiously un-oppressive political left.
I did not write this fucking article aren't you able to wrap your head around this? It's from 2015 for God's sake.
And who is "you"? Only on sherdog mods can be trolls at the same time.

This will without a doubt trigger a lot of people pretty badly but it's an interesting read.

With Sam Harris consistently being promoted as “a neuroscientist,” and using this label to bash religion and other leading scientists, perhaps we should take a closer look at Sam Harris’s PhD work. After all, since Harris abandoned science after securing his PhD, it is the PhD work alone, all by itself, that Harris uses to self-label as “a neuroscientist.”

It’s not clear how long it took Harris to get his PhD. According to Wiki, he received his BA in Philosophy in 2000 and his PhD in Neuroscience in 2009. He, along with several others, published their work in PLoS ONE: The Neural Correlates of Religious and Nonreligious Belief

Statistician William Briggs analyzed the contents of this paper in an in-depth, 7-part series that begins here.

"During the course of my investigation of scientism and bad science, I have read a great many bad, poorly reasoned papers. This one might not be the worst, but it deserves a prize for mangling the largest number of things simultaneously. What is fascinating, and what I do not here explore, is why this paper was not only published but why it is believed by others. It is sure evidence, I think, that scientists are no different than anybody else in wanting their cherished beliefs upheld such that they are willing to grasp at any confirmatory evidence, no matter how slight, blemished, or suspect that evidence might be.

I do not claim, and I do not believe, that Harris and his team cheated, lied, or willfully misled. I have given sufficient argument to show the authors wore such opaque blinders that they could not see what they were doing and so choose to write down that which they imagined they saw, which was a preconceived, incoherent concoction about how “Christians” would differ from “rational” thinkers."

The post covers much more and concludes:

1. Since getting his PhD, he has conducted no scientific research.
2. Since getting his PhD, he has taught no university/college courses in neuroscience.
3. Since getting his PhD, he has devoted his efforts to his anti-religious think tank and publishing books, such as the one on using drugs and meditation to discover truths about our reality.
4. He received his PhD through partial funding from his own atheist organization.
5. He didn’t do any of the experiments for his own thesis work.
6. His PhD thesis was about how science can determine what is right and wrong and he turned it into a book for sale.
7. Since publishing his thesis/book, Harris has yet to use science to resolve a single moral dispute.

I'd say rather than 'a neuroscientist', let alone 'the neuroscientist', he's somebody who got a PhD in neuroscience with an extraordinary bad dissertation, sponsored by an organization he started himself and which doesn't really exist anymore (in its original sense) and hasn't done any scientific work at all other than his not so valuable dissertation. I mean that doesn't make him a fraud, he has his PhD after all but it's a bit cringy.

The blog post isn't new and the author clearly has an agenda but his claims are bulletproof facts.
https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/neuroscientist-sam-harris/

My first exposure to Harris was an appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience where he attempted a neuroscience explanation for his belief I determinism. It wasn't JUST unconvincing, it was actually embarrassing that a guy with any kind of credibility on the line would make such a cringeworthy argument. TBH I think the guy is probably on the autistic spectrum.

My first exposure to Harris what an appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience where he attempted by a neuroscience explanation for his belief I determinism. It wasn't JUST unconvincing, it was actually embarrassing that a guy with any kind of credibility on the line would make such a cringeworthy argument. TBH I think the guy is probably on the autistic spectrum.
Don't listen to Joe Rogan very often but I might check it out.

Back