Is Royce Gracie overrated or underrated?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some people think he sucks and others think he's a legend. I don't really care but I'd be interested to see what Sherdog thinks. All I know is that he didn't 'create' mma, like some people claim.

Did a lot in a relatively short career by bringing BJJ to peoples attention when it was virtually unknown.

Some people just get tired of the "this is my house!" shtick.

I sure do.

Wasteland.

I'd say overrated if you are going by fighting ability.

Royce is the main reason there is mixed martial arts. If there was a MMA Mount Rushmore, Royce's face would be first. You started watching MMA in 2016 so I don't expect you to know any better but Royce was the big bang that accelerated MMA to current levels

Totally underrated and underappreciated. The people who watched from UFC 1 know that he changed the game and influenced generations. He should be getting royalty checks from every BJJ school in the country.

Royce is the main reason there is mixed martial arts. If there was a MMA Mount Rushmore, Royce's face would be first. You started watching MMA in 2016 so I don't expect you to know any better but Royce was the big bang that accelerated MMA to current levels
<36>he's a pioneer in a way, but no

Some people think he sucks and others think he's a legend. I don't really care but I'd be interested to see what Sherdog thinks. All I know is that he didn't 'create' mma, like some people claim.

They are both right.

He's respected and still talked about, the haters ensure his name will live forever.

Royce is a fighter from a different time. Yes, by today's standards his MMA game is from the jurassic period. He has good fundamental Jiu-Jitsu but his striking game consists of a front kick and punches on the ground to open up submissions and that's about it.

Back in the stone ages he actually was a good fighter. He deserves the respect he gets. His career basically existed to show people what BJJ was and how effective it could be. He handled several guys way bigger than him and could take a punch if he needed to. He weathered the storm against Kimo and ate a solid shot from Shamrock, he also went to war with Sakuraba in 2000. The guy was tough.

He never evolved his game, never showed much interest in anything other than Gracie JJ, we saw how that worked for him against Hughes. He will always be a pioneer for MMA, can't take that away from him.

His pride and ego is underrated and his father invented leverage - but honestly I don't know...

I've been watching mma for two years now.

Also, Royce did accelerate the growth of mma by a lot, but I think it was eventually going to catch on later. Shooto and Pancrase and Kudo existed before UFC. Sure, the sport may have never grown to the popularity it is today, but it still would of existed.

Ken Shamrock is P4P the KING

but in all honesty, he sucks by today's standards because of evolution and age

an athlete has to play through all the rules at the time, what is available to them from their coach (play select) and whatever technology is available ....it doesnt mean they suck it just means they are a product of their time.

Being a legend is not a measure of skill. One can suck and be a legend. I think in terms of skill Royce is far overrated. But in terms of impact on MMA, he's clearly one of the greats.

Some people think he sucks and others think he's a legend.

The people who think he sucks are almost certainly measuring him retrospectively against contemporary fighters. In his day, he enjoyed success with few recent parallels. I can look at a top of the line computer from the turn of the century or the CGI in the original Star Wars and turn up my nose at how primitive they seem, but to do so betrays a fundamental misunderstanding.

but in all honesty, he sucks by today's standards because of evolution

True, but he sucked by 1995's standards because of evolution too.

The people who think he sucks are almost certainly measuring him retrospectively against contemporary fighters.

What he did was impressive, but he won his fights not only because of his skill at jiu jitsu, but because of his opponent's almost complete lack of knowledge of submission grappling. Art Jimmerson tapped because he was taken down, not because Royce choked him or threatened a limb. His success forced fighters to learn jiu jitsu, and that's why he's a legend. But within a very short time after his debut at UFC 1, his opponents were able to defend against his attacks and batter the poor guy.

Last edited:
Back