Is Roy Jones Jr going to die in the ring?

But should there be an age limit in boxing? Because no one is going to convince these old time greats to stop, it's their passion and love, they have been doing this sense being a little kid. So if they won't stop maybe we need to stop them, using age limits and stronger medical rules, using head and brain trauma, using the knockouts they suffer early in their careers and setting up retirement programs and Medical insurance programs, for their futures, also setting up mandatory schooling, learning trade and getting degrees, but until then they won't stop, even if they get seriously hurt and brain damage.

Iff their managers care for them so much, why not set up mandatory Schooling and a retirement plan and medical insurance, in their contracts, hell the big Networks like HBO and Showtime can do the same with their fight contracts, setting up programs for insurance and retirement, so they don't have to pay for their big medical bills after their fights, just deduct it from their payroll from them like we do. At least it's something, even if their contracts only last a couple of years, they won't be spending most of their money on medical bills and would be going to College and finishing High School and getting degrees, but this is to easy I guess and don't hold your breath, because it probably will never happen anyway.

There shouldn't be an age limit. Every fighter "ages" at a different rate according to their fighting style, lifestyle, and desire. George Foreman did something special in his forties. Bhop did great things in his forties. Only his very last fight was ill-advised. Wlad was what? 41 or 42 recently and he had a helluva fight and then retired. I think that putting too many rules in place strangles the individuality out of a sport that is special because of that individuality.

At the end of the day, it is their life. Some might think that my minimum of two drinks a day is bad for me. They can go straight to hell. I've got it together. I make reasonably good choices. I'll live my life, thank you very much.

I do agree that it should be more medically guided. Regular scans and coordination among medical agencies across borders so that fighters don't cross a county line and get a new lease on a tired body are definitely things I agree with. Jake LaMotta probably would have passed tests no problem, but look at his style. You'd think he'd be a sure thing for early onset brain damage. If I recall correctly, he was coherent for a long time until his recent passing (RIP champ). Ali? Fought less than LaMotta and the damage was visible and occurred very early in his life.

So, medical involvement? Yes. Limits on age and number of bouts and such? Not unless medically grounded evidence is there.

If you read between the lines, I think he's saying it's his last fight in his hometown.

Or in other words, wolf tickets.

<{pranko}>

Could be. For his sake I hope he has family and friends telling him enough is enough. We'll see if he continues fighting.

There shouldn't be an age limit. Every fighter "ages" at a different rate according to their fighting style, lifestyle, and desire. George Foreman did something special in his forties. Bhop did great things in his forties. Only his very last fight was ill-advised. Wlad was what? 41 or 42 recently and he had a helluva fight and then retired. I think that putting too many rules in place strangles the individuality out of a sport that is special because of that individuality.

At the end of the day, it is their life. Some might think that my minimum of two drinks a day is bad for me. They can go straight to hell. I've got it together. I make reasonably good choices. I'll live my life, thank you very much.

I do agree that it should be more medically guided. Regular scans and coordination among medical agencies across borders so that fighters don't cross a county line and get a new lease on a tired body are definitely things I agree with. Jake LaMotta probably would have passed tests no problem, but look at his style. You'd think he'd be a sure thing for early onset brain damage. If I recall correctly, he was coherent for a long time until his recent passing (RIP champ). Ali? Fought less than LaMotta and the damage was visible and occurred very early in his life.

So, medical involvement? Yes. Limits on age and number of bouts and such? Not unless medically grounded evidence is there.
lots of people think that, you know, the old "he has a constitutional right to get brain damage" but I think that if it's true that most other sports can bar guys from competing when they lose a step, I wouldn't mind seeing it in boxing. It's good that people loved Ali enough to ban him, he was offended by it, i can't even think of a fighter who was that successful get banned like that but I think it was good. it would have been even better if Ali had retired in 75.

Boxing great Roy Jones Jr.’s final fight will air on UFC Fight Pass
By MMA Fighting Newswire Jan 26, 2018, 5:12pm EST

Roy Jones Jr. is calling it a career — and his final fight will be aired on UFC Fight Pass.

The boxing legend will meet Scott Sigmon in his retirement fight Feb. 8 in Pensacola, Fla., and the card will be aired on the UFC’s digital streaming service, the promotion announced Friday. The bout will be contested at cruiserweight and Jones is expected in the ring at about 10 p.m. ET. The entire card from the Bay Center begins at 7:30 p.m. ET.

“Ya’ll musta forgot I always said that my final fight would be in my hometown of Pensacola,” Jones Jr. said in a release. “I meant it then, and I mean it now. This is where it all began for me, this will be my 75th professional fight, and it will be my last one. I have been friends with [UFC [president] Dana White for years and am so excited for UFC Fight Pass to be streaming this event.”

Jones’ company Square Ring Promotions will be promoting the bout and the vacant WBU cruiserweight title will be on the line. This will be the first time UFC Fight Pass has ever aired live boxing.

Jones, a Hall of Famer, is 65-9 in his career with six world title reigns in four different divisions. Jones, 49, is on a three-fight winning streak, his most recent victory coming over Bobby Gunn for the WBF cruiserweight title last February. He won via TKO in the eighth round.

“Roy Jones has had a long and distinguished career,” White said. “We have wanted to work together for a long time and I’m glad that I could bring his final fight to all the fans who have UFC Fight Pass.”
Boxing great Roy Jones Jr.’s final fight will air on UFC Fight Pass

Roy is all ego. He will have to be saved from himself by the commissions and even then he'll end up fighting in Rwanda or something, just to be in front of that crowd again.

Roy is all ego. He will have to be saved from himself by the commissions and even then he'll end up fighting in Rwanda or something, just to be in front of that crowd again.

The UFC airing Roy's final (boxing) match on Fight Pass was likely calculated by Dana. It'll help them promote the RJJ-Silva fight (boxing) in advance if it ever happens in the future.

lots of people think that, you know, the old "he has a constitutional right to get brain damage" but I think that if it's true that most other sports can bar guys from competing when they lose a step, I wouldn't mind seeing it in boxing. It's good that people loved Ali enough to ban him, he was offended by it, i can't even think of a fighter who was that successful get banned like that but I think it was good. it would have been even better if Ali had retired in 75.

That was the year I always had in my head, too. Right after Thrilla. If I could be selfish, right after the Wepner fight since it inspired the first Rocky movie, but that's not necessarily a good way to look at it.

roy was born a performer, not a commentator or a trainer
if he had a choice he'd probably rather die in the ring than alone somewhere
that mentality remind me of rourke's film, the wrestler

Back