Is Rockhold the Most Exciting Fighter in the UFC Right Now?

mkt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
7 UFC fights. None went to a decision. 3 subs, 2 KO, got KO'd twice. Are there any other UFC fighters with a streak like this?

If Woodley fought like this, we'd never hear a bad word about him on Sherdog...regardless of how much he whined.

That said, I think Luke may win by decision this weekend. Branch is a very tough guy to finish. It's only happened twice--a Gerald Harris megaslam and Palhares leg destruction. Both of those are very hard to replicate. Luke did win 5 round decisions against Jacare and Kennedy in SF. He fought smart and didn't take too many risks. I think that Luke may show up against Branch and some other UFC guys in the future. But for now, the Just Bleed gods are rejoicing!

Just realized that rockhold never went to decision in the ufc
But I don't thin he's the most exciting fighter in the ufc.i think barboza is.

el-cucuy.jpg

Rockhold will sub him easy. He isn't that good.

I agree Rockhold is better, but Branch has some very good BJJ. If Luke can get a sub, that will be very impressive. Palhares subbed Branch and a bunch of other guys (Shields, Fitch, etc.) who almost never get subbed.

Rockhold is a straight killer but is as arrogant as can be and will never be a long term champion because of it.

I agree Rockhold is better, but Branch has some very good BJJ. If Luke can get a sub, that will be very impressive. Palhares subbed Branch and a bunch of other guys (Shields, Fitch, etc.) who almost never get subbed.
Yeah my buddy rolled with him a few years ago. He isn't on Rockholds level on the ground though and he's boring as fuck no matter how much he says stuff like jive turkey and shit.

I don't find his fights particularly exciting

Finishes don't = an exciting fighter either, the lead up to a finish can be boring AF while a fight that goes the distance can be an absolute back and forth war and be an all-time great/exciting fight.

tumblr_m443glxU7h1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

I gotta throw the Korean Zombie's name into this.

I don't find his fights particularly exciting

Finishes don't = an exciting fighter either, the lead up to a finish can be boring AF while a fight that goes the distance can be an absolute back and forth war and be an all-time great/exciting fight.

I can think of a few examples--Nate vs. Josh Thomson and Rashad vs. Chuck. Everyone remembers the highlight KOs, but before that, most people here complained and said all Josh/Rashad were doing was "running."

However, I think Rockhold's wins over Bisping, Machida (even though I'm a Lyoto fan), Philipou, Botsch etc. were pretty exciting. He didn't waste much time and went for the kill. And he's not a one-trick pony who only finishes fights one way (Nelson's overhand right, Palhares' leg locks, etc.)

But he's not a non-stop pressure fighter or brawler...which is what some people define as exciting.

image.jpeg As soon as he opens his mouth he sucks any excitement right up. Luke Rockhold...

I can think of a few examples--Nate vs. Josh Thomson and Rashad vs. Chuck. Everyone remembers the highlight KOs, but before that, most people here complained and said all Josh/Rashad were doing was "running."

However, I think Rockhold's wins over Bisping, Machida (even though I'm a Lyoto fan), Philipou, Botsch etc. were pretty exciting. He didn't waste much time and went for the kill. And he's not a one-trick pony who only finishes fights one way (Nelson's overhand right, Palhares' leg locks, etc.)

But he's not a non-stop pressure fighter or brawler...which is what some people define as exciting.
Yeah Luke has had some great fights and performances, i was just pointing out that listing a bunch of finishes doesn't make a fighter automatically exciting, I'm not saying that this directly applies to Luke and that he's boring

Luke definitely isn't boring he just doesn't stand out as one of the MOST exciting fighters to me.

I think that's what it is, too arrogant sometimes.

Yeah, Luke is his own worst enemy. If he can overcome his ego, he could be really, really good.

One thing he needs to do is realize his boxing and striking defense are weak and work on them. He's got the height, reach and athleticism to box well at MW. If he adds that to his arsenal, it's scary to think how good he could be.

7 UFC fights. None went to a decision. 3 subs, 2 KO, got KO'd twice. Are there any other UFC fighters with a streak like this?

If Woodley fought like this, we'd never hear a bad word about him on Sherdog...regardless of how much he whined.

That said, I think Luke may win by decision this weekend. Branch is a very tough guy to finish. It's only happened twice--a Gerald Harris megaslam and Palhares leg destruction. Both of those are very hard to replicate. Luke did win 5 round decisions against Jacare and Kennedy in SF. He fought smart and didn't take too many risks. I think that Luke may show up against Branch and some other UFC guys in the future. But for now, the Just Bleed gods are rejoicing!

Not right now, he hasn't fought in forever.

Back