is really that hard to retire or stay retired in this sport?

That would kill Shaddows dead. D-E-A-D dead.

No matter how GSP did it, Shaddows would find a way to hate it.

The lengthening gulf between GSP's Legacy and Anderson's is killing him.
lol.

Shaddows and i have actually had some pretty civil encounters lately. We must be mellowing with age. As long as we avoid the poking we seem to be ok. But once the poking starts, oh ya its on.

lol.

Shaddows and i have actually had some pretty civil encounters lately. We must be mellowing with age. As long as we avoid the poking we seem to be ok. But once the poking starts, oh ya its on.

He is literally the only poster worse than The Rassler.

One more payday is a hell of a drug.

I think taking the LW and being the only 3 division champ is the biggest thing he can do for his legacy.

Years from now when the MMA fans have never seen Fedor, GSp, Anderson, Jones, fight and they are just reading stats that would stand out far more than becoming the 4 time WW Champ in a division he is already GOAT in.

But I would say this. If GSP was able to win the LW belt and he still felt he had some fight in him then he should announce as his last fight, Woodley and the WW belt. To show he was able to move across three division and win belts and to derail Woodley's chance of chasing him down as WW GOAT would be worth it.

I honestly think that type of legacy 3 Division Champ (and P4P GOAT by virtue of being able to fight up and down) would cement him as GOAT of all of MMA likely forever. But Woodley would be a dangerous fight. Another Hendricks for GSP and we know how lucky he was to get away with that one.

I hear your point, and concede that future MMA fans might take the belts without the knowledge of how it was done.
But I do think that both belts (MW & LW) if anything, it should bring him shame for ducking real competition (i.e. when he literally run from Silva for years and then from Whittaker proving he was only interested in a weak champion). Now he would fight guys who just got the belt...

I dunno. it is the same as lauding Wilt Chamberlain NBA GOAT Center for those 50-100 point games without considering the landscape at that time...but once that you get the picture, it becomes quite clear why guys like Jabbar or Shaq could easily be explained as above him.

Even if you are well off,the roar of the crowd and the feeling of victory becomes an addiction. Its like being a God. Thats why guys like bj penn cant quit. They think theyve still got it and want the God feeling back.
Must be hard to lose when you know in prime you would win
Competietive freaks like Hughes coleman randy Fedor love it

I hear your point, and concede that future MMA fans might take the belts without the knowledge of how it was done.
But I do think that both belts (MW & LW) if anything, it should bring him shame for ducking real competition (i.e. when he literally run from Silva for years and then from Whittaker proving he was only interested in a weak champion). Now he would fight guys who just got the belt...

I dunno. it is the same as lauding Wilt Chamberlain NBA GOAT Center for those 50-100 point games without considering the landscape at that time...but once that you get the picture, it becomes quite clear why guys like Jabbar or Shaq could easily be explained as above him.

Uh-oh. Just when I complimented you to @Loiosh :eek:

tenor.gif

So lets be clear as no one has ducked more than Anderson. He ducked GSP and anyone outside MW for years. Whenever asked if he was asked about a fight with GSP he would say 'that is not a fight that interests me' or 'I am happy in my division'.

After he had cleaned out his division, and only after, he went to the UFC saying he was thinking about retirement and had about 8 more fights and ONLY wanted the biggest fights at MW and LHW. No mention of GSP (duck, duck).

Anderson happy cherry picking fights like Forrest (a lesser opponent than Bisping in every way) quickly changed his view once Shogun became LHW champ and was angling for a fight with Anderson every time a mic was put in front of him. But duck, duck Anderson tried to claim he would not fight who was a friend. Shogun quickly stated 'we were never friends'. Anderson then got mad and said he would no longer take any fights outside MW and if Shogun or GSP or anyone wanted to fight him they needed to make weight at MW (duck, duck). When Jones became LHW Anderson that became final (duck, duck, duck) and then decided ya maybe GSP would be the best fight and he admitted that was because he thought he would 'get hit less' (duck, duck the tougher fight).

So ya, until basically eyeing retirement with no big name fights since he was ducking LHW he looked to GSP FINALLY. But unfortunately for Anderson, GSP was getting ready for Shields and had Condit and Diaz in the wings and a surging Hendricks.

So just like Anderson had no interest in fighting outside his division when he was still working on his MW legacy and MW GOAT resume,s o to was GSP doing the same. Fair for both.

Neither fighter was ever going to put aside their divisional goals for the other and that is fair. that rustles Anderson fans who defended Anderson doing it but think GSP should have put his aside but that is because they are hypocrites.

If you didn't save enough money it's hard to stay retired. that's why guys like Tito, chuck, Rampage, Wand are still fighting; they don't know anything else besides fighting and they probably didn't save so when retirement comes, they have at least some security.

Man, I'd LOVE it!
So many names, so much potential...

imagine, they get the Spider, Big Nog, BJ, Chuck, Forrest... heck, even GSP should be there.
Possibilities are endless...
They should just make them go to Bellator.

Uh-oh. Just when I complimented you to @Loiosh :eek:

tenor.gif

So lets be clear as no one has ducked more than Anderson. He ducked GSP and anyone outside MW for years. Whenever asked if he was asked about a fight with GSP he would say 'that is not a fight that interests me' or 'I am happy in my division'.

After he had cleaned out his division, and only after, he went to the UFC saying he was thinking about retirement and had about 8 more fights and ONLY wanted the biggest fights at MW and LHW. No mention of GSP (duck, duck).

Anderson happy cherry picking fights like Forrest (a lesser opponent than Bisping in every way) quickly changed his view once Shogun became LHW champ and was angling for a fight with Anderson every time a mic was put in front of him. But duck, duck Anderson tried to claim he would not fight who was a friend. Shogun quickly stated 'we were never friends'. Anderson then got mad and said he would no longer take any fights outside MW and if Shogun or GSP or anyone wanted to fight him they needed to make weight at MW (duck, duck). When Jones became LHW Anderson that became final (duck, duck, duck) and then decided ya maybe GSP would be the best fight and he admitted that was because he thought he would 'get hit less' (duck, duck the tougher fight).

So ya, until basically eyeing retirement with no big name fights since he was ducking LHW he looked to GSP FINALLY. But unfortunately for Anderson, GSP was getting ready for Shields and had Condit and Diaz in the wings and a surging Hendricks.

So just like Anderson had no interest in fighting outside his division when he was still working on his MW legacy and MW GOAT resume,s o to was GSP doing the same. Fair for both.

Neither fighter was ever going to put aside their divisional goals for the other and that is fair. that rustles Anderson fans who defended Anderson doing it but think GSP should have put his aside but that is because they are hypocrites.

Sorry, but when I read that Silva was running from GSP I had to stop reading (I was laughing too hard at your biased/blind twisted version of what you call truth (which was really wishful thinking).

GSP is the one who always refused to fight SIlva. He even said he would have to take 2 years off to "grow"... then he retired. Then he saw Bisping, and all of a sudden, he was big enough. But despite signing a contract stating he would unify the belt against another WW turned MW, he run as hard as he could.
And now, instead of getting back his WW belt, he is running after Khabib or COnor.

Sorry, there's a pattern here: and it is to run from hard matches. And GSP run. That is as clear as day.

Sorry, but when I read that Silva was running from GSP I had to stop reading (I was laughing too hard at your biased/blind twisted version of what you call truth (which was really wishful thinking).

GSP is the one who always refused to fight SIlva. He even said he would have to take 2 years off to "grow"... then he retired. Then he saw Bisping, and all of a sudden, he was big enough. But despite signing a contract stating he would unify the belt against another WW turned MW, he run as hard as he could.
And now, instead of getting back his WW belt, he is running after Khabib or COnor.

Sorry, there's a pattern here: and it is to run from hard matches. And GSP run. That is as clear as day.
Want to Sig and Ave bet that prior to GSP/Shields fight I can quote Anderson saying time and again he has not interest in a GSP fight when asked and I can quote GSP saying he is interested in the fight?

You won't be able to counter a single time, other than in the run up to the Shield's fight with Anderson saying he wants that fight.

Lets do it. Lets bet. Or prove you know who was running and say no.

Everyone has a price.

I imagine for a fighter replicating the buzz they get from fighting must feel impossible at times

To retire at 35 you either need:

A shit tonne of cash built up
Or
A new career

Most fighters have neither
Bullshit. What’s the average income in the US? 50k per year? Actually its about 43k but let’s say it’s 50k. The average guy retires when he’s 65. So to retire at 35 he’s missing 1.5m USD in income. But that isn’t actually true becase if you already have that 1.5m extra at 35 you’ll be getting 4 to 6 percent from investing that per year, which in the 30 year period will go to about 6.5 million. So to retire like the ”average guy” you don’t need anywhere near 1.5m at 35.

In short, if a guy like Overeem has managed to not burn 1.5m of his money as of today, which he shouldn’t have considering the money he makes (I think he has about five times that saved up, the minimum), he can easily retire. He’ll earn pocket money from gym businesses to pay his taxes and keep living off his investment.

This isn’t even taking into account the fact he can retire to South America or Thailand and live like a king.

The real reason these guys aren’t retiring is simple. They love to fight. That’s it.

Want to Sig and Ave bet that prior to GSP/Shields fight I can quote Anderson saying time and again he has not interest in a GSP fight when asked and I can quote GSP saying he is interested in the fight?

You won't be able to counter a single time, other than in the run up to the Shield's fight with Anderson saying he wants that fight.

Lets do it. Lets bet. Or prove you know who was running and say no.

I would, but I am not interested in getting your AV or sig.
Shields fight was on April 30, 2011

Here it is, one full year prior:
April 2010
"I'd like to test myself and I always love to take on new challenges," Silva said of his thoughts about a drop to 170 pounds from the middleweight limit of 185. "It's not that I want to go fight Georges St. Pierre for his title. There's no doubt in my mind that he's the reigning champion, the absolute champion, in that weight category. But I just want to test myself and see how I'd do at that weight." - Yahoo

at the same time:
April 2010
If he dropped to 170 pounds, probably. There is another thing to consider: If I move up, maybe I won't be able to come back down to defend my (welterweight) title. So it's a big decision to take. It would be the biggest fight in UFC history, probably. It would be interesting. - MMA Junkie

So please spare me with some alternate truth.
besides, the deeds count.
GSP did move up to fight Bisping, then run away from Whittaker, DESPITE signing a contract stating he would unify the belt.
And now he leapfrog his old division and pushed for a fight against recent crowned Khabib or forfeited champ Conor.

Sorry, this does not add to his legacy, it demeans it.

Hah. I knew you would NEVER stand behind your words and would tuck tail.

I would, but I am not interested in getting your AV or sig.
Shields fight was on April 30, 2011

Here it is, one full year prior:
April 2010
"I'd like to test myself and I always love to take on new challenges," Silva said of his thoughts about a drop to 170 pounds from the middleweight limit of 185. "It's not that I want to go fight Georges St. Pierre for his title. There's no doubt in my mind that he's the reigning champion, the absolute champion, in that weight category. But I just want to test myself and see how I'd do at that weight." - Yahoo
I love how your attempted counter to my point that Anderson never showed any interest in a GSP fight before the run up to the Shields fight is you quoting something in the run up to the Shields fight. which was already being talked about and focused on by GSP. So please try and prove what i asked (and know that you will fail as I know) that Anderson has EVER, even one single time expressed any interest in a single quote to fight GSP pre the run up or talk of SHields being GSP's next opponent and one of the most of his important of his career.

Georges St-Pierre: “I Want to Fight the Best and Jake Shields is the Best”
Written by Tom Ngo
April 27th, 2010

If you REALLY listen to what UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre is saying, it appears he may be bracing for Strikeforce free agent Jake Shields to make his Octagon debut within the coming months.
Anderson had fought Forrest in his last fight and had a fight with Damian Maia ahead at the time of your quote, which he hated. He was basically done with regular defenses at MW at that point and only focused on big legacy fights. GSP had Shields in his sights, COndit and Diaz right after and a surging Hendricks. Completely different situations and one where when Anderson was in the meat of his title defenses he had NO interest in a GSP fight.

Shaddows said:
at the same time:
April 2010
If he dropped to 170 pounds, probably. There is another thing to consider: If I move up, maybe I won't be able to come back down to defend my (welterweight) title. So it's a big decision to take. It would be the biggest fight in UFC history, probably. It would be interesting. - MMA Junkie
So lol. your reply to me posting that gsp, UNLIKE Anderson, was at least showing interest in the fight is to quote GSP showing interest in the fight.

Here's another and I have about a dozen as GSP almost always gave some form of "ya the fight interests me...' asnwer (which I criticize btw).

cite

BASG: I’ve heard that you may be moving up in weight class at some point in the future. Is that true, and would you be looking towards a bout with (Anderson) Silva, or something of that nature?

GSP: That’s something very interesting. Everybody talk to me about that. People think that they take Thales Leites for beaten, which is the biggest mistake Silva could do (Ed. note: Actually, Leites pretty much beat himself against Silva, falling on his back anytime The Spider approached, followed by Silva kicking at him and walking away until the referee forced Leites back on his feet. Simply an awful fight to watch). I hope he’s not doing it, because it happened to me once with Matt Serra. And I learned from my mistake. And I hope for him it doesn’t happen twice, but right now I don’t look past Thiago Alves. That’s my next fight, Thiago Alves. But maybe if the outcome of the fights are good, maybe I will do it.

Shaddows said:
So please spare me with some alternate truth.
besides, the deeds count.
GSP did move up to fight Bisping, then run away from Whittaker, DESPITE signing a contract stating he would unify the belt.
And now he leapfrog his old division and pushed for a fight against recent crowned Khabib or forfeited champ Conor.

Sorry, this does not add to his legacy, it demeans it.
Yes GSP did move up. On that one recount you are correct and truthful but your spin of it is a lie.

GSP moved up only after he retired for 4 YEARS and he did exactly what he said would almost 10 years earlier which is ONLY MOVE UP once he was done with the WW division and building his legacy there and he could focus on putting on the proper weight. He always expressed that he would not compromise his WW run by trying to move up and down as he feared potential health consequences of doing so. EXACTLY what happened with his move up to fight Bisping.

If GSP had tried to put on the weight to fight Anderson before the SHields fight and then lost to Anderson as he was not able to put on and hold the weight and be healthy and fight at his best V Anderson, and then he had to move back down to WW and fight SHields, COndit, Diaz and Hendricks, all 4 of those WW fights would have been in jeopardy with GSP not at his best.

So again you are criticizing GSP for doing EXACTLY what Anderson did which is focus on his divisional run until he had cemented his legacy and cleaned out his division (anderson just did that years early due to MW being thin) when GSP was exactly right. Moving up was a risk for him health wise.

And only Anderson ball huggers suggest GSP's taking of the MW belt demeans anything. It immediately launched him to the top of the GOAT in many post fight Polls and Pundit talks where he had been 'one of' in many prior talks. The same Anderson fans who will trot out laughable Forrest Griffin as some great Anderson win because Anderson stepped up and fought a former LHW champ. lol. GSP's winning of the MW belt was a bigger accomplishment in every single way, EVERY WAY, than Anderson's win over just KTFO and on depression drugs, Forrest.

Bullshit. What’s the average income in the US? 50k per year? Actually its about 43k but let’s say it’s 50k. The average guy retires when he’s 65. So to retire at 35 he’s missing 1.5m USD in income. But that isn’t actually true becase if you already have that 1.5m extra at 35 you’ll be getting 4 to 6 percent from investing that per year, which in the 30 year period will go to about 6.5 million. So to retire like the ”average guy” you don’t need anywhere near 1.5m at 35.

In short, if a guy like Overeem has managed to not burn 1.5m of his money as of today, which he shouldn’t have considering the money he makes (I think he has about five times that saved up, the minimum), he can easily retire. He’ll earn pocket money from gym businesses to pay his taxes and keep living off his investment.

This isn’t even taking into account the fact he can retire to South America or Thailand and live like a king.

The real reason these guys aren’t retiring is simple. They love to fight. That’s it.
No you are wrong there.

Go watch the ESPN 30 for 30 about athletes and the inability to save money for their retirement and future. Most increase their life style so they spend everything they earn during those prime earnings year without thinking this will not last forever and I should save. Not all, but MOST.

Most retired or aged fighters coming back are dong so because they need money.

Hah. I knew you would NEVER stand behind your words and would tuck tail.

I love how your attempted counter to my point that Anderson never showed any interest in a GSP fight before the run up to the Shields fight is you quoting something in the run up to the Shields fight. which was already being talked about and focused on by GSP. So please try and prove what i asked (and know that you will fail as I know) that Anderson has EVER, even one single time expressed any interest in a single quote to fight GSP pre the run up or talk of SHields being GSP's next opponent and one of the most of his important of his career.

Anderson had fought Forrest in his last fight and had a fight with Damian Maia ahead at the time of your quote, which he hated. He was basically done with regular defenses at MW at that point and only focused on big legacy fights. GSP had Shields in his sights, COndit and Diaz right after and a surging Hendricks. Completely different situations and one where when Anderson was in the meat of his title defenses he had NO interest in a GSP fight.

So lol. your reply to me posting that gsp, UNLIKE Anderson, was at least showing interest in the fight is to quote GSP showing interest in the fight.

Here's another and I have about a dozen as GSP almost always gave some form of "ya the fight interests me...' asnwer (which I criticize btw).

Yes GSP did move up. On that one recount you are correct and truthful but your spin of it is a lie.

GSP moved up only after he retired for 4 YEARS and he did exactly what he said would almost 10 years earlier which is ONLY MOVE UP once he was done with the WW division and building his legacy there and he could focus on putting on the proper weight. He always expressed that he would not compromise his WW run by trying to move up and down as he feared potential health consequences of doing so. EXACTLY what happened with his move up to fight Bisping.

If GSP had tried to put on the weight to fight Anderson before the SHields fight and then lost to Anderson as he was not able to put on and hold the weight and be healthy and fight at his best V Anderson, and then he had to move back down to WW and fight SHields, COndit, Diaz and Hendricks, all 4 of those WW fights would have been in jeopardy with GSP not at his best.

So again you are criticizing GSP for doing EXACTLY what Anderson did which is focus on his divisional run until he had cemented his legacy and cleaned out his division (anderson just did that years early due to MW being thin) when GSP was exactly right. Moving up was a risk for him health wise.

And only Anderson ball huggers suggest GSP's taking of the MW belt demeans anything. It immediately launched him to the top of the GOAT in many post fight Polls and Pundit talks where he had been 'one of' in many prior talks. The same Anderson fans who will trot out laughable Forrest Griffin as some great Anderson win because Anderson stepped up and fought a former LHW champ. lol. GSP's winning of the MW belt was a bigger accomplishment in every single way, EVERY WAY, than Anderson's win over just KTFO and on depression drugs, Forrest.
It amazes me how GSP nuthuggers change reality then go kicking and screaming their lies when caught against facts.

Fact: GSP SPOKE about Shields... a guy who was not even in the UFC at that time. a FULL YEAR before that fight became reality.
in the meantime, he fought one-eyed Koscheck.

Fact: You demanded a quote from Silva. I provided you.
You somehow try to claim victory in... proving you wrong???

Fact: GSP wasn't done with his division. He is simply ducking Woodley. Same as he ducked Silva, same as he ducked Whittaker.
Those are facts.
Same as it was a fact Dana himself noted he KNEW GSP would duck, that's why he put in his contract that he would have to face Whittaker. And Dana might lie about a lot of things, but this (his unification fight) was known BEFORE he fought Bisping, and there was no reason to say that, unless it was true.

So you make your own excuses and justifications.
For all I care, you have been proven wrong and exposed as a blind nuthugger, but more importantly, a blatant liar since facts proved you wrong.

It amazes me how GSP nuthuggers change reality then go kicking and screaming their lies when caught against facts.

Fact: GSP SPOKE about Shields... a guy who was not even in the UFC at that time. a FULL YEAR before that fight became reality.
in the meantime, he fought one-eyed Koscheck.

Fact: You demanded a quote from Silva. I provided you.
You somehow try to claim victory in... proving you wrong???

Fact: GSP wasn't done with his division. He is simply ducking Woodley. Same as he ducked Silva, same as he ducked Whittaker.
Those are facts.
Same as it was a fact Dana himself noted he KNEW GSP would duck, that's why he put in his contract that he would have to face Whittaker. And Dana might lie about a lot of things, but this (his unification fight) was known BEFORE he fought Bisping, and there was no reason to say that, unless it was true.

So you make your own excuses and justifications.
For all I care, you have been proven wrong and exposed as a blind nuthugger, but more importantly, a blatant liar since facts proved you wrong.
yes nothing you put as FACT changes anything I said. The point being GSP was no where NEAR done with his WW run or legacy yet with Kos up next, Shields being in everyone's sights as an exciting upcoming free agent and Condit, Diaz and Hendircks in the pipeline. At that point many were still saying Matt Hughes was WW GOAT as he still held the record for most Title defenses.

So yes but sorry. While Anderson was signaling he was basically done with MW regular defenses and looking for big fights and to retire in about 8 fights, GSP was still in the meat of his defense run against some of his biggest legacy opponents.

And yes the Silva quote does prove exactly my point. It was in GSP's run up to the Shields fight and NOT before when Anderson got interested. prove me wrong and find one single quote in the many years prior to that, when Anderson was asked over and over about a fight with GSP where he indicated in any way that he wanted it. I have many quotes ready for our bet where I will show him saying "it is not a fight that interests me', 'no, I am happy in my category'. and such. So lets bet.

Lol and as usual the only one lying is you but i look forward to you standing behind your position and making the bet which we know you won't since you always duck just like your hero Anderson did.

Back