is really that hard to retire or stay retired in this sport?

When fighting is all you know then it's kind of hard to give it up, especially if you haven't made enough money, which few do. Also getting old is not easy, you still feel like you can do what you used to. It's obvious to others that you can't, but not necessarily to you.

The longer you fight the greater the toll on your body the more money you need to pay your doctors. And cost of living.

Being an independent contractor is a risk. You hope to make it big so you can be set for life in a handful of years (pro athletes), but most end up worse off financially than the guy who worked his way up at McDonald's for 30+ years.

The high from winning a fight in front 20,000 ppl rivals the feeling that any drug or other natural chemical high that can be experienced ever. Ive played music in front of 500 or so ppl and it felt fucking awesome every time. Im sure with fighting its even more amazing

Because no wants to see anderson fight anymore. He is no longer exciting to watch. He cant win,he doesn't produce,so thats when its time to quit.

Gsp still delivers,can still win, so he can keep getting fights.
Meh. I don't really accept that you speak for everyone. I think there are a lot of legends people would still pay to see fight mainly based off name value. that is the reason a lot of the young guns want the old fading stars, for their name value on their resume.

For instance if Condit and Anderson said 'lets do it' just because they thought it would be a fun fight and they could get a good paycheque I would watch. One fight like per PPV, would sell imo.

That's life and how they're set up.

How much money do they have set aside and did they invest their money so it makes some sort of income (passive or otherwise)? Did they scale back their lifestyle given what is (assumed) to be a lower level of income?

Some just need the money. There's a few where they at the least, look like they've done well for themselves, but what do we know, we're not their accountant/bank manager.

Then you have the likes to Urijah Faber that seems like he's spent the last 10 years putting together projects and stuff he can do to pass the time and make some dosh post fight career

Sounds fair enough.

Anyway, a legend's div. really needs to happen. I hate it when older fighters take a beating. We can't overlook that age takes its toll on fighters.
AGree, but in fairness, it is hard to set a line.
I mean, look at Lil'Nog just won at 42.
Randy was also "up there" in age and very competitive.

Besides, most those legends would stop for a couple of years before being... "persuaded" to come back, which make it even harder.

But UFC should just go with it. Sign a few fighters and add the rest as they fall in line!!

Say you are a banker at Goldman Sachs. You start making 500K at age 28 just like UFC fighters. A banker will keep earning this and more until they are in their 60s.

A fighter is lucky to see 40. Then the cash flow stops. No more active income, endorsements become fewer and they have all the free time in the world.

Right at the age fighters retire more real life bills come into action as well. The kids are hitting high school, college etc, you are expected to donate money to your community and medical costs increase because of a lifetime of abuse. Ball players who have made 100 mill + have gone broke in a few years and most UFC fighters make a small fraction of that.

GSP straddles the line as some fighters might as they transition from regular fighter to Legends fighters.

Since GSP has no real interest in diving into any division and being a contender and just wants Legacy fights most of those fights could be Legends fights. A GSP, Anderson fight for example. But a fight between GSP and either Khabib or COnor would obviously not be a Legends match and would fall into the regular pile.
AGree. BUt would it really add to his "legacy", to beat smaller guys who just got their belt?
That's while WOodley is sitting at the top of his old division with quite a few title defenses already.....

For fighters, winning a fight (especially impressively) is the best feeling in the world.

A hard drug to quit.

AGree, but in fairness, it is hard to set a line.
I mean, look at Lil'Nog just won at 42.
Randy was also "up there" in age and very competitive.

Besides, most those legends would stop for a couple of years before being... "persuaded" to come back, which make it even harder.

But UFC should just go with it. Sign a few fighters and add the rest as they fall in line!!

I totally agree, it's hard to set a line.
It's a really complicated subject. Hey, at least I'm glad that it's not up to me to make any decisions on it!:D

I don't think Chuck or Tito are broke. They miss the spot light. They miss competing. The money is only the added bonus and they had to throw enough at them to come out of retirement. They're at an age where they're still able. That's the tough part. No one is offering 68 year old Larry Holmes a bunch of money to box again. Or a 52 year old Tyson etc. They can't do it anymore.

I totally agree, it's hard to set a line.
It's a really complicated subject. Hey, at least I'm glad that it's not up to me to make any decisions on it!:D
Hahaha! You and me both!

but I do know one thing: I would absolutely LOVE to see them all back in the octagon!!! I'd absolutely pay for one more chance to see a legend fight!

Meh. I don't really accept that you speak for everyone. I think there are a lot of legends people would still pay to see fight mainly based off name value. that is the reason a lot of the young guns want the old fading stars, for their name value on their resume.

For instance if Condit and Anderson said 'lets do it' just because they thought it would be a fun fight and they could get a good paycheque I would watch. One fight like per PPV, would sell imo.
I feel more often than not its embarassing fights like bj penn or those atrocious bellator events. Some older fighters earn their spot to get on good main events. Others just dont produce,and people think they wanna see them until the fight starts. Everyone go homes sad. Since gonzaga koed mirko hes been stinking up the octagon even in his wins. He produced one pants shitting moment when he koed gonz in the rematch a million yrs later. He got by on name only. Im glad he got his money but i prefer/hope those guys step aside when they aint got it anymore.

AGree. BUt would it really add to his "legacy", to beat smaller guys who just got their belt?
That's while WOodley is sitting at the top of his old division with quite a few title defenses already.....

I think taking the LW and being the only 3 division champ is the biggest thing he can do for his legacy.

Years from now when the MMA fans have never seen Fedor, GSp, Anderson, Jones, fight and they are just reading stats that would stand out far more than becoming the 4 time WW Champ in a division he is already GOAT in.

But I would say this. If GSP was able to win the LW belt and he still felt he had some fight in him then he should announce as his last fight, Woodley and the WW belt. To show he was able to move across three division and win belts and to derail Woodley's chance of chasing him down as WW GOAT would be worth it.

I honestly think that type of legacy 3 Division Champ (and P4P GOAT by virtue of being able to fight up and down) would cement him as GOAT of all of MMA likely forever. But Woodley would be a dangerous fight. Another Hendricks for GSP and we know how lucky he was to get away with that one.

I feel more often than not its embarassing fights like bj penn or those atrocious bellator events. Some older fighters earn their spot to get on good main events. Others just dont produce,and people think they wanna see them until the fight starts. Everyone go homes sad. Since gonzaga koed mirko hes been stinking up the octagon even in his wins. He produced one pants shitting moment when he koed gonz in the rematch a million yrs later. He got by on name only. Im glad he got his money but i prefer/hope those guys step aside when they aint got it anymore.
I hate seeing 'spent' guys keep fighting as well. I am terrified for Chuck in the upcoming battle with Tito. I don't want to see him GnP, eating shots to the head at 49.

But I would watch Lil Nog and Shogun go at it one more time.

I hate seeing 'spent' guys keep fighting as well. I am terrified for Chuck in the upcoming battle with Tito. I don't want to see him GnP, eating shots to the head at 49.

But I would watch Lil Nog and Shogun go at it one more time.
Shogun and lil nog keep hangin in there somehow,still showin some life.chuck fighting is a travesty.

I think taking the LW and being the only 3 division champ is the biggest thing he can do for his legacy.

Years from now when the MMA fans have never seen Fedor, GSp, Anderson, Jones, fight and they are just reading stats that would stand out far more than becoming the 4 time WW Champ in a division he is already GOAT in.

But I would say this. If GSP was able to win the LW belt and he still felt he had some fight in him then he should announce as his last fight, Woodley and the WW belt. To show he was able to move across three division and win belts and to derail Woodley's chance of chasing him down as WW GOAT would be worth it.

I honestly think that type of legacy 3 Division Champ (and P4P GOAT by virtue of being able to fight up and down) would cement him as GOAT of all of MMA likely forever. But Woodley would be a dangerous fight. Another Hendricks for GSP and we know how lucky he was to get away with that one.

That would kill Shaddows dead. D-E-A-D dead.

No matter how GSP did it, Shaddows would find a way to hate it.

The lengthening gulf between GSP's Legacy and Anderson's is killing him.

To retire at 35 you either need:

A shit tonne of cash built up
Or
A new career

Most fighters have neither

Back