is really that hard to retire or stay retired in this sport?

Well... again, most of the fighters would claim that they are just tired of the constant punishment.
But once they stop and rest, the invariable excuse of "I took some time off and healed up" itch comes back.

Like you said: No one wants to leave on a loss, but no one leaves on a win period.

But IMO beyond that, they would be fighting other guys like them, not monsters at their peak. So it is a fair game IMO.
ya I always thought the UFC should have created a 'Legends' series.

Let the older, but high value name guys, who are realistically no longer in the title shot hunt, have a place where they can fight one another, make great paycheques because they are a draw, but not have to get KTFO by every new up and comers wanting a big name on their resume.

Imagine one fight per PPV between two legends. That would definitely add to the casuals draw and therefore they could afford to pay them well for it.

Let the older, but high value name guys, who are realistically no longer in the title shot hunt, have a place where they can fight one another, make great paycheques because they are a draw, but not have to get KTFO by every new up and comers wanting a big name on their resume.

Imagine one fight per PPV between two legends. That would definitely add to the casuals draw and therefore they could afford to pay them well for it.
Man, I'd LOVE it!
So many names, so much potential...

imagine, they get the Spider, Big Nog, BJ, Chuck, Forrest... heck, even GSP should be there.
Possibilities are endless...

Why Guys like overeem who has been koed 15 times or something like that or chuck lidell etc, doesnt retire? is really that hard, money will not buy own health.
Cte take a couple of years to develop but once started you cant do nothing to stop it

Necktats was spending money on private planes. He will have to fight until he can't make sentences anymore.

Fighters go broke and need the money - see Carlos Condit and dozens of other "name" guys.

Man, I'd LOVE it!
So many names, so much potential...

imagine, they get the Spider, Big Nog, BJ, Chuck, Forrest... heck, even GSP should be there.
Possibilities are endless...
Is GSP that rusty/old now?

Well, I don't think so. but according to his own fans, he is "free from the boundaries of rankings or WC's and should be able to challenge anyone he deems worthy"... so I think he fits the bill for legends class.

besides, it is far better (for him and for the sport) to fight other legends than to take belts and run from top contenders.

Well, I don't think so. but according to his own fans, he is "free from the boundaries of rankings or WC's and should be able to challenge anyone he deems worthy"... so I think he fits the bill for legends class.

besides, it is far better (for him and for the sport) to fight other legends than to take belts and run from top contenders.
Sounds fair enough.

Anyway, a legend's div. really needs to happen. I hate it when older fighters take a beating. We can't overlook that age takes its toll on fighters.

Now that I think about it, about GSP, he's not the only one messing around with belts. Gotta be fair.

GSP straddles the line as some fighters might as they transition from regular fighter to Legends fighters.

Since GSP has no real interest in diving into any division and being a contender and just wants Legacy fights most of those fights could be Legends fights. A GSP, Anderson fight for example. But a fight between GSP and either Khabib or COnor would obviously not be a Legends match and would fall into the regular pile.

Lets be honest 99% of fighters are not the brightest people in the world and fight because they have no other decent career options. This also means they are most likely not the most finically savvy and will quickly run out of money with no actual skills or career to fall back upon.

Even if you are well off,the roar of the crowd and the feeling of victory becomes an addiction. Its like being a God. Thats why guys like bj penn cant quit. They think theyve still got it and want the God feeling back.

Why Guys like overeem who has been koed 15 times or something like that or chuck lidell etc, doesnt retire? is really that hard, money will not buy own health.
Cte take a couple of years to develop but once started you cant do nothing to stop it
Chuck has that look in his eyes again.F4A5E0BC-CC1D-49EE-8C35-F83FBA97DD18.jpeg

That or his coke bill is overdue.

Its a young mans sport. If you dont have a reason to be there,to make compelling fights,step aside. Bellator has what you need if its only name value.

Lets be honest 99% of fighters are not the brightest people in the world and fight because they have no other decent career options. This also means they are most likely not the most finically savvy and will quickly run out of money with no actual skills or career to fall back upon.
Sort of this

Mid 30s maybe late 30s is when fighters start going down hill. That’s when most civilian workers are just entering their work-prime (finished with college, gained work experience, experienced but still youthful).

Can you imagine realizing your fighting career is soon over and you’re only 30s? And worst—why if you have neck tats or head tats. Just saying, I have tattoos but they’re not on my face or throat.

I think the other part of it is manliness; ur supposed to suddenly quit and sit home and what....do yard work?!??

Sort of this

Mid 30s maybe late 30s is when fighters start going down hill. That’s when most civilian workers are just entering their work-prime (finished with college, gained work experience, experienced but still youthful).

Can you imagine realizing your fighting career is soon over and you’re only 30s? And worst—why if you have neck tats or head tats. Just saying, I have tattoos but they’re not on my face or throat.

I think the other part of it is manliness; ur supposed to suddenly quit and sit home and what....do yard work?!??
Yea in my office I am by far the youngest guy at 38. The next youngest is 53ish. Most people in my field have 20+ years experience. I would be ancient in fighter years but I am still a (well paid) baby in mine.

A big part of fighting is a very strong desire to compete, and yes it is very, very hard to give up

Brain damage doesn’t set in fully for many years. It’s probably difficult to step away from quick big checks when the brain trauma isn’t showing up in your day to day life yet.

And like other posters said, these guys are natural born competitors

They would rather let upcoming guys KO Legends viciously to build up new stars. It's sad but it's the way it goes. Chael has always said it was why Dana hated GSP

Is it hard to stay retired? Given most of the fighters retire broke and many likely have CTE (or early onset CTE), you can see why they come back.

Combine that payouts for fights has gradually increased over the years, even guys that were relatively well set financially like GSP still get tempted to jump back in for a cash grab.

Its a young mans sport. If you dont have a reason to be there,to make compelling fights,step aside. Bellator has what you need if its only name value.
I agree in many ways but many of the older guys seem to need to, or want to keep competing. Some guys like GSP and Anderson at the end of their Prime runs state they just want legacy fights.

So why not accomodate that for guys who maybe do not want to, or need to, work their way up through the Top 5 anymore?

I agree in many ways but many of the older guys seem to need to, or want to keep competing. Some guys like GSP and Anderson at the end of their Prime runs state they just want legacy fights.

So why not accomodate that for guys who maybe do not want to, or need to, work their way up through the Top 5 anymore?
Because no wants to see anderson fight anymore. He is no longer exciting to watch. He cant win,he doesnt produce,so thats when its time to quit.

Gsp still delivers,can still win, so he can keep getting fights.

Back