Is my RAM incompatible, or is my motherboard just broken?

BJP81

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What's up guys. Would love to get some input on what my next move should be after encountering this issue starting my build for the first time. Sorry if this is an overly long OP.

I'm putting together my first rig, and I'm having some issues with the RAM. I bought a Kingston HyperX originally, that ended up not being compatible with my motherboard despite PCPartPicker saying otherwise. Spoke to a tech support with Asus, he gave me their list of compatible RAM for my motherboard, which I used to buy a different Kingston HyperX that was definitely on that list.

Sure enough, that one would not work either. Upon calling support again and running a couple other unsuccessful measures, I was advised to try buying yet another RAM stick from their qualified vendors list (different brand). He seemed fairly confident that the problem is with the RAM that I purchased, and not with the motherboard. I got in contact with another representative, and was told by this one that I should send in the motherboard for evaluation, and that I shouldn't bother trying a third different stick since the problem most likely is with the board. I just wanted input from some people who are much more knowledgeable than I am with computers - does this seem like a problem with the RAM, or the motherboard? I obviously do not want to keep burning money on RAM if it is my motherboard that is fucked up.

Thank you in advance Sherbros

Is your bios recognizing the ram? Have you updated your bios? Have you tried just using one stick at a time?
There's is a program out there called memtest86 to test ram. Is this an AMD build?

Is your bios recognizing the ram? Have you updated your bios? Have you tried just using one stick at a time?
There's is a program out there called memtest86 to test ram. Is this an AMD build?

I don't believe so, nothing shows up on the monitor when I power on, so I can't really get anywhere. I am only using one stick. Intel build - i5 6600k cpu

I don't believe so, nothing shows up on the monitor when I power on, so I can't really get anywhere. I am only using one stick. Intel build - i5 6600k cpu

Are you using a video card?

If you are using DDR4 ram and have tried multiple Dimms, it's you motherboard. Even RAM that is not on the approved list for a certain board will work, the only reasons some RAM is not on those lists is because they have not been specifically tested. In the end RAM is pretty much generic and will work with any board and chipset that supports that type of RAM.

So first and foremost why are you so sure it's your ram that is the problem with it posting? Have you ever been able to get it to post?

The most common problem with newer builds I've seen personally is people having issues with their CPU's. If you tighten your CPU cooler even a quarter turn too far it can result in your pc not posting. It's definitely something to consider before throwing the baby out with the bath water. Another possibility is if you ever so gently bumped the pins you may need to rebend them to the right angle. It can literally be the lightest touch and you messed up the connection with your cpu (or back to that tightening it too much problem). You can very, very gently fix this with something with an ultra fine pointed tip.

So a couple things about RAM. Newer RAM isn't like older ram. You have to push it down fairly hard to get it to seat properly. The second problem with newer ram is that all ram over a certain clock speed is considered "overclocked" by your mobo due to how they are designed currently and this can cause some major problems when trying to set it up. I had a weird problem where I had voltage issues when I put in my 1080 TI upgrade from my 970 I previously had and it took me hours of testing to fix it. The number one thing is figure out how to flash the bios to a newer version first and foremost. It doesn't have to be the most recent version but it needs to be fairly recent. After you flash your bios just put in 1 stick of ram and try to start it up. If you can accomplish this you have a voltage issue. The solution to this can be as simple as turning on the XMP profile in your bios that your ram tells it to autoload to having to manually change voltages until you find the sweet spot of balance.

Third if you don't have experience building a PC I highly encouraged getting a mobo with Q-codes. At the very least it can point you in the right direction. The random issue I had with voltages I had when I upgraded to a 1080 TI would have not been solvable even though I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing without Qcodes.

Best of luck!

Are you using a video card?

I have a Gigabyte gtx 1070

If you are using DDR4 ram and have tried multiple Dimms, it's you motherboard. Even RAM that is not on the approved list for a certain board will work, the only reasons some RAM is not on those lists is because they have not been specifically tested. In the end RAM is pretty much generic and will work with any board and chipset that supports that type of RAM.

Yeah I'm using DDR4. I figured this was probably the case. Thanks man.

So first and foremost why are you so sure it's your ram that is the problem with it posting? Have you ever been able to get it to post?

The most common problem with newer builds I've seen personally is people having issues with their CPU's. If you tighten your CPU cooler even a quarter turn too far it can result in your pc not posting. It's definitely something to consider before throwing the baby out with the bath water. Another possibility is if you ever so gently bumped the pins you may need to rebend them to the right angle. It can literally be the lightest touch and you messed up the connection with your cpu (or back to that tightening it too much problem). You can very, very gently fix this with something with an ultra fine pointed tip.

I'm not entirely sure it is the ram, I'm just going off of what one of the tech support guys told me on the phone, lol. There's a red LED on my motherboard that pops on when I power it, and that specific light is indicative of a ram issue, or so I was told. Didn't add up to me since I had tried two different ones, which is why I contacted another rep and also made this thread. I'll be sure to give the cpu a look though, thank you for the response.

If its your motherboard then that is super unlucky. In 30 years of owning computers, and I've owned a shit ton of them, I've never had a motherboard die, not one.

If its your motherboard then that is super unlucky. In 30 years of owning computers, and I've owned a shit ton of them, I've never had a motherboard die, not one.

Honestly it's probably not a faulty part these days. It's a lot harder to get a computer up and running. Ironically overclocked ram is one of the major reasons for that though which is even more amusing when you consider how little benefit it provides.

Back