Is my coach being unreasonable?

jweiler98

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to Sherdog so I hope this is the right section. I'm a new boxer (been training 6 months) who is training for my first amateur fight on June 29. I agitated my shoulder about a week ago while doing bag work and re-agitated pretty bad a few days ago while sparring. My own research makes me think it is an injury to the rotator cuff. Anyway, I let my coach know (very respectfully) that I believed I injured my rotator cuff and that I'd be sitting out for a few days until the pain went away. His response? "Sounds to me like you tore a vaginal muscle". So I repeated myself, telling him that I don't feel ready to spar or put in heavy work just yet and once again he says "take out your tampon blah blah". I understand that he wants me to get as much work in as I can but the lack of respect pissed me tf off. I am a full time college student and worker so boxing is primarily a way for me to stay active and occupied, I don't want to potentially mess my body up forever over an amateur match. Is this normal behavior or is my coach just being a blowhard?

If you're really hurt then trying to train through it is dumb, he should know that. Sounds like he might think you're not actually hurt

That's what I was getting at with the lack of respect piece, I train hard for him every session but whenever there's any mention of an injury it's like he assumes I'm a pussy trying to get out of something. Idk it just pisses me off, thanks for the response.

Next time he mouths off, fill the room with uppercuts.

Fuck his girl friend and take a dump in his shower.

Mean this with all due respect and in no way am I saying you arent injured.

Coaches deal with a lot of people saying they cant when they really can. Hes probably just trying to get you over that mental hump if you werent actually injured.

On the other hand, some coaches are just asshole tough guys.

Youll just have to decide which it is. Perhaps get the shoulder checked out by a doc and go from there.

...My own research makes me think it is an injury to the rotator cuff....

Old Honest Abe said "He who represents himself has a fool for a client," and I'd add "He who diagnoses himself has a fool for a patient."

Go see a doctor. If the doctor says you are injured, you take your doctor's note to your coach and let him know you'll be following the recommendations. If the doctor says you're fine, you are fine and your coach has a point, albeit crudely put.

If that story was accurate, your coach is being an asshole.

Your coach is an idiot, I wouldn't train in a gym like that. Get that shoulder checked, bro.

Sounds like a relic from the early Mma days when people trained hard instead of smart.

Back