Is Mousasi one of the best of all time?

Mousasi has a ridiculous resume.

Top 3 MW of all time, after AS and Hendo.

Moose is awesome. He had a strong chance to win UFC gold under USADA, he missed his chance to seal his legacy by leaving the UFC.

well lets see...

aside from fedor the other fighters who seem to come up in GOAT discussions (gsp, silva, jones, aldo, mouse, etc.) have all been long reigning ufc champs. in fedors instance he reigned over in PRIDE which was the superior organization at the time, especially their HW division.
in comparison all the titles moose has had have been in weak divisions like the dream belt and this belt. he didnt defend the strikeforce belt at all and got wrestled to death by mo.

it matters, imo

the ufc belts have little to do with skill and a lot to do with popularity. it's why he was never likely to get a title shot, to begin with.

Moose is awesome. He had a strong chance to win UFC gold under USADA, he missed his chance to seal his legacy by leaving the UFC.

lolz. yeah, he totalllllly should have stayed for the 20k/20k and misspelled reeboks.

like the ufc was ever going to put him in a title fight.

Last edited:
the ufc belts have little to do with skill and a lot to do with popularity. it's why he was never likely to get a title shot, to begin with.

lolz. yeah, he totalllllly should have stayed for the 20k/20k and misspelled reeboks.

like the ufc was ever going to put him in a title fight.
Its not that far fetched to imagine the UFC giving him a shot at the title, Whitaker is a weak draw and he was given a title shot.

I understand that Moose left the UFC for more pay but this topic is about his legacy and winning the UFC strap would have cemented him as one of the best MWs all time, no doubt.

Its not that far fetched to imagine the UFC giving him a shot at the title, Whitaker is a weak draw and he was given a title shot.

I understand that Moose left the UFC for more pay but this topic is about his legacy and winning the UFC strap would have cemented him as one of the best MWs all time, no doubt.

imo, leaving the ultimate sweatshop does more for his legacy than sticking around for chump change to get shafted, in the hopes of getting his well-deserved title shot... the title shot that was never gonna happen.

the ufc seems to still hate stipe, ffs.

Gegard is a natural. I read an interview were he said he started to do real training for fights as of 2013.

"Now, I have coaches and sparring partners. I am doing now everything right. Maybe this sounds weird, but, I don't believe I ever trained for a fight. Now, every day I am getting tired. I don't want to go to training. Back then, I used to run a little bit in the morning and do a little bit of sparring and when I would get tired, I would relax. Now, I have people that are pushing me every day and now I do feel like I am preparing for a fight. I f I go into this fight like how I am training now, I don't see how I can lose. I'm finally feeling that I finally training for a fight. I didn't know MMA fighting, was so difficult, training for a fight."

If the guy had a solid camp since his 20's he would probably be goat.

imo, leaving the ultimate sweatshop does more for his legacy than sticking around for chump change to get shafted, in the hopes of getting his well-deserved title shot... the title shot that was never gonna happen.

the ufc seems to still hate stipe, ffs.
Moose is already one of the best MWs of all time IMO but theres no denying that winning the UFC belt wouldve silenced his critics and cemented his legacy. Victories in the UFC carry more value in the eyes of media pundits and the rankings show that. Imagine how sweet his resume wouldve looked being the Strikeforce, DREAM, UFC, and Bellator champ.

Yes he is Carvalho is no joke and he just beat him easily but Moose knew to take it down because Carvalhos striking is top notch

I used to think he would be a lot better then he turned out

who are his signature wins ? Hunt ? Jacare ?

His resume is long but nbt especially strong

He has more loses than quality wins - IMO a dud

Loses to King Mo, Jacare, Machda ..Wins against Hunt, Jacare..

He practically lost to welterweights 3 times (Gono, Uriah Hall, Shlemenko if it were NOT for that BS decision)

Yeah..those guys should have ALL been fighting at welterweight

He has defeated top opponents in just about every major promotion in the world across different weight classes. He has also had proven success at some level in kickboxing, boxing and has a black belt in judo. Not many have achieved what he has achieved, it's hard to argue that he isn't one of the best.

I used to think he would be a lot better then he turned out

who are his signature wins ? Hunt ? Jacare ?

His resume is long but nbt especially strong

He has more loses than quality wins - IMO a dud

Loses to King Mo, Jacare, Machda ..Wins against Hunt, Jacare..

He practically lost to welterweights 3 times (Gono, Uriah Hall, Shlemenko if it were NOT for that BS decision)

Yeah..those guys should have ALL been fighting at welterweight
He doesnt have the BIG(Id favor him to beat Whitaker and a toss up vs Romero) signature wins but he has a lot of SOLID(Jacare, Weidman, Belfort, Schlemenko, Lombard, and a plenty more) wins, his run in the UFC under USADA was very impressive.

Gegard is very overlooked, he has an incredible resume.

He's definitely one of the most well rounded and has no obvious weaknesses. Great striking and grappling.

Gegard's the kinda guy who in theory should be unbeaten but for some reason chokes at the big opportunities.

He doesnt have the BIG(Id favor him to beat Whitaker and a toss up vs Romero) signature wins but he has a lot of SOLID(Jacare, Weidman, Belfort, Schlemenko, Lombard, and a plenty more) wins, his run in the UFC under USADA was very impressive.

I think Jacare is a signature win for him, when Gegard took him out in DREAM Jacare was seen as unstopable

The problem is that a bunch of solid wins don't make a legend IMO

Yes among the greatest. Well rounded. Dangerous. A thinking fighter. Fearless.

Weidman
Belfort
Henderson

His wins at 205 against
OSP and Latifi are very good in hindsight.

Problem is that Wiedman, Belfort and Henderson were all done when he fought them...Weidman, his best win while in the UFC, was coming off two brutal knockout loses..

I like Mousasi, I always used to think that if he were allowed to go and compete in the UFC he would shut all those haters up...but he ended up being a dud..I stopped being a fan after the Machida fight which was the darkest day for everyone who thought Mousasi was championship quality..Machida was simply better than Mousasi in the striking exchanges

Actually, Mousasi has probably regressed while in the UFC..Mousasi's wrestling improved but his stand up suffered as a result and he has became salty and very cynical about getting paid

Not a hater at all but this guy's resume still lacking and he lost that don't give a shit attitude that made people like him in the first place

Also why are people praising his win over Carvahlo ? A fighter of his caliber should be in the OWGP or fighting Davis..not fighting these B level fighters...

Problem is that Wiedman, Belfort and Henderson were all done when he fought them...Weidman, his best win while in the UFC, was coming off two brutal knockout loses..

I like Mousasi, I always used to think that if he were allowed to go and compete in the UFC he would shut all those haters up...but he ended up being a dud..I stopped being a fan after the Machida fight which was the darkest day for everyone who thought Mousasi was championship quality..Machida was simply better than Mousasi in the striking exchanges

Actually, Mousasi has probably regressed while in the UFC..Mousasi's wrestling improved but his stand up suffered as a result and he has became salty and very cynical about getting paid

Not a hater at all but this guy's resume still lacking and he lost that don't give a shit attitude that made people like him in the first place

Also why are people praising his win over Carvahlo ? A fighter of his caliber should be in the OWGP or fighting Davis..not fighting these B level fighters...
God, I don't where to start on your lack of intelligence on the matter of Gegard Mousasi....its comical.First off if you reference fights that happened years ago and under certain circumstances then you can say the same for just about every single fighter.
Here s the fact of the matter- RIGHT NOW, IN VEGAS ....he d might be a slight underdog to maybe 1 or 2 middleweight s in world....maybe.
.....and for the record,lol- has one of the best resumes in sport.Do you get the fact that he's in his prime now- fighting since 18 with a record of 44-6....a major success in every organization he's fought in (including ufc)
Go check your brain cells, son

Back