Is modern kickboxing exterminated by MT?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Every kickboxing training clip on youtube is incorrectly labelled and is clearly Muay Thai - elbow, knees, etc

Are true kickboxing schools, that is just punching and kicking, out of existence?

Last edited:
Only punch and kick? That is American karate boxing, and yes it got relegated to obscurity long ago.

Nothing modern about Kickboxing that is just punches and kicks. That was left in the 1980's...

Only punch and kick? That is American karate boxing, and yes it got relegated to obscurity long ago.

No that is kickboxing. Why do you think this forum is called Muay Thai AND and Kickboxing?

Was it really? Are there no above the waist KB championships anymore?
There are. Look up WAKO. Its obscure in most parts of the world though.
No that is kickboxing. Why do you think this forum is called Muay Thai AND and Kickboxing?
Pretty sure the mods had K-1 rules in mind when they said kickboxing, like pretty much everyone.

Well I'm the one that had them change the title to that, as it was previously the "K-1 Discussion Forum" and didn't include Muay Thai which is every bit a part of this forum.

When we talk about Kickboxing here, we primarily talk about Kickboxing that originated in Japan/Holland and K-1 style.

How is the popularity of Muay Thai in the US today compared to 15 years ago? When Joe Rogan started to Kickbox in the 90s, he claimed that there was no Muay Thai place nearby.

How is the popularity of Muay Thai in the US today compared to 15 years ago? When Joe Rogan started to Kickbox in the 90s, he claimed that there was no Muay Thai place nearby.
It all depends on where you live. Country wide it's not big at all but certain places like Bay Area and LA area does have somewhat of a scene.

There was Muay Thai in the Bay Area in the mid to late 90's thanks to Fairtex. It's all regional though.

According to google trends its been basically stable, but has been very slowly decreasing in popularity, at least since 2004 when they started collecting data. However it has grown in Brazil and some European and Middle Eastern countries.

If I had it my way, every "kickfighting"(hate that word) event would be Muay Thai rules. Scoring we can improve, but allow all strikes.

I was living in Canada in the late 90s. Twin Dragons were a kungfu and kickboxing academy with competitions happening and they used to be the biggest game in town. There were other Karate ad Kung fu schools who would also do "kick-boxing" i.e above the waist contact. There was Muay Thai but very limited. Siam no 1 was still around but no one looked at it with the same respect that it has today.

If I had it my way, every "kickfighting"(hate that word) event would be Muay Thai rules. Scoring we can improve, but allow all strikes.
Thankfully we're not having it your way for every event :|

Back