Is MMA a Barbaric Sport?

Mixed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tim Hague's death was a huge bummer. But was it surprising at all? Of course we all mourned and were effected by Hague's death, but isn't this the whole point of watching MMA? To watch one man inflict brain damage on another. Sure, there are submissions which are not as traumatizing to the brain, but there are broken bones and chokes that cut off circulation to the brain. With post fight bonuses, crowds booing at inactivity, and highlight reels on news channels, there is a huge emphasis on damage and finishes.

One could say freak accidents like this occur in every sport. I've seen tragic things happen in all sports. Broken necks/spines in hockey, freak heart attacks in soccer, concussion after concussion in american football. But combat sports are distinct in that there is no ball to create the game around. In combat sports the whole point is to inflict as much damage as possible to another human being.

In this aspect, you have to respect what Floyd is teaching. He emphasizes taking the least damage as possible throughout one's career and having intact all of your mental health. GSP seemed to share that philosophy in MMA and would attack opponents at their weakest point to ensure a "safe" victory. One can call it point fighting, but in the end, it was smart fighting. But even GSP, towards the end of his career took a lot of damage.

USADA has only confused things more, because now you have a whole league of fighters fighting clean, but then you have guys in the regional circuits still juicing and destroying people. Whereas before, the playing field was more level with everybody juicing, now the field is more complicated with the possibility of more instances of someone on PEDS facing someone who is clean. Overall, the playing field is more level with most fighting clean, but then there will be those cases when someone is getting away with PED usage, fighting an entire league that is clean. It's just a weird situation.

This sport is brutal, and I wonder why I want to watch it anymore. Before, there were guys with amazing technique who were at the top. Like Anderson, who made you marvel at what he could do in the cage. Guys like Fedor, who in the young years of MMA was a superstar with a bigger than life aura. Guys like BJ Penn, who didn't care what weight the fight was at, he just wanted to scrap. When MMA was young, all these things were fresh and new to us and captivated us. Today, guys like Conor and Yair with his flashy kicks harken back to the type of things Anderson would bring to viewers. Conor also has the fight anywhere, anytime mentality. But nowadays, there are cards every week, and the luster isn't as bright as it used to be.

You have Mighty Mouse who is being smart about his career, but people want to see him face a bigger challenge in TJ. It's just a weird dynamic where the fighter is looking out for what's best for him, and the fans want to see the fighter put himself in the most dangerous situation. A weird dynamic that I'm not sure can coexist. This is not what fans want to see, fans just want to see blood. In that respect, maybe Mighty Mouse is in the wrong profession despite his success. That's why you see him joking about going back to stocking shelves in Costco, but is he really joking? Maybe he sees that he's not cut out for the barbaric culture of this sport.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say. But Tim Hague's death was a huge bummer and a reason to make you look at this sport in a different perspective.

Last edited:
It's not barbaric. It's violent.
The commissions failed him, not the actual sport.

RIP.

I would say 'murrican football and boxing are worse.

Tim Hague died in boxing not MMA...

<LikeReally5>

But yes. MMA and boxing are both barbaric. And I love them.

No its not really
Letting a guy no had been koed 7 times a year fight again was criminal

Tim Hague's death was a huge bummer. But was it surprising at all? Of course we all mourned and were effected by Hague's death, but isn't this the whole point of watching MMA? To watch one man inflict brain damage on another. Sure, there are submissions which are not as traumatizing to the brain, but there are broken bones and chokes that cut off circulation to the brain. With post fight bonuses, crowds booing at inactivity, and highlight reels on news channels, there is a huge emphasis on damage and finishes.

One could say freak accidents like this occur in every sport. I've seen tragic things happen in all sports. Broken necks/spines in hockey, freak heart attacks in soccer, concussion after concussion in american football. But combat sports are distinct in that there is no ball to create the game around. In combat sports the whole point is to inflict as much damage as possible to another human being.

In this aspect, you have to respect what Floyd is teaching. He emphasizes taking the least damage as possible throughout one's career and having intact all of your mental health. GSP seemed to share that philosophy in MMA and would attack opponents at their weakest point to ensure a "safe" victory. One can call it point fighting, but in the end, it was smart fighting. But even GSP, towards the end of his career took a lot of damage.

USADA has only confused things more, because now you have a whole league of fighters fighting clean, but then you have guys in the regional circuits still juicing and destroying people. Whereas before, the playing field was more level with everybody juicing, now the field is more complicated with the possibility of more instances of someone on PEDS facing someone who is clean. Overall, the playing field is more level with most fighting clean, but then there will be those cases when someone is getting away with PED usage, fighting an entire league that is clean. It's just a weird situation.

This sport is brutal, and I wonder why I want to watch it anymore. Before, there were guys with amazing technique who were at the top. Like Anderson, who made you marvel at what he could do in the cage. Guys like Fedor, who in the young years of MMA was a superstar with a bigger than life aura. Guys like BJ Penn, who didn't care what weight the fight was at, he just wanted to scrap. When MMA was young, all these things were fresh and new to us and captivated us. Today, guys like Conor and Yair with his flashy kicks harken back to the type of things Anderson would bring to viewers. Conor also has the fight anywhere, anytime mentality. But nowadays, there are cards every week, and the luster isn't as bright as it used to be.

You have Mighty Mouse who is being smart about his career, but people want to see him face a bigger challenge in TJ. It's just a weird dynamic where the fighter is looking out for what's best for him, and the fans want to see the fighter put himself in the most dangerous situation. A weird dynamic that I'm not sure can coexist. This is not what fans want to see, fans just want to see blood. In that respect, maybe Mighty Mouse is in the wrong profession despite his success. That's why you see him joking about going back to stocking shelves in Costco, but is he really joking? Maybe he sees that he's not cut out for this barbaric sport.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say. But Tim Hague's death was a huge bummer and a reason to make you wonder what you are really trying to get out of this sport.
Note that he was killed in a boxing match. MMA gets called overy brutal all the time, but boxing actually causes more head trauma because of standing eight counts and ten counts on knockouts. These allow an injured fighter to recover and take more damage. In MMA fighters are more often quickly finished ans take less head trauma.

I would say 'murrican football and boxing are worse.
can't lump a sport like football in with a combat sport - the object of one is to score points, the object of the other is to hurt your opponent.

yes mma is brutal but no more so than boxing. what you say about one has to go for the other. there will always be the debate over whether it's acceptable or not as a sport, no getting around it.

It's not barbaric. It's violent.
The commissions failed him, not the actual sport.

RIP.
this

mma is still a sport. and there are safeguards. if followed.

But nowadays, there are cards every week, and the luster isn't as bright as it used to be.

I think the fact that there are cards every other week is amazing. I am equally as interested in the prospects as I am in the big stars or flashy strikers.
I really don't agree with your post at all. I don't think the sport is "barbaric".

Hague died boxing. MMA rules may have saved his life.

god bless barbaric sports, if it wasn't pussy vatican we could have olympic pankration for our amusement
fuck you pope and damn you catholics

can't lump a sport like football in with a combat sport - the object of one is to score points, the object of the other is to hurt your opponent.

yes mma is brutal but no more so than boxing. what you say about one has to go for the other. there will always be the debate over whether it's acceptable or not as a sport, no getting around it.

True, but fball is rough as hell. You have guys committing suicide/having all kinds of memory/emotional issues.

Note that he was killed in a boxing match. MMA gets called overy brutal all the time, but boxing actually causes more head trauma because of standing eight counts and ten counts on knockouts. These allow an injured fighter to recover and take more damage. In MMA fighters are more often quickly finished ans take less head trauma.

As weird as I used to think that sounded, in light of events like Hague's death, the more I believe it's true.

This is where I have a problem, did you actually mourn his death? Are your thoughts and prayers really with Matt Hugh's?
This fucking shit with the god damn public acting like they know these people is fucking sickening.
Does people actually get down on their knees and pray for Matt or is she down there sucking dick because this is all bullshit.
You take the risk and Tim probably had an unforeseen issue where he should not have been fighting plain and simple.
Look at Mark Coleman that fucking guy has literally been to the Sunni triangle because their is no hell sorry to disappoint and back and he is fine.
One incident happens every so often and the liberals get off their knees and come out of the fucking woodwork criticizing.

I'm surprised Dan Mariagliotta's late stoppages (Carwin/Mir, etc) didn't result in a death.

It's definitely brutal and it's not for everyone, but humans are violent beings, especially men. It's our nature. Embrace it. It's a controlled environment but shit will happen sometimes.

MMA and boxing are brutal, violent sports, but I wouldn't call them "barbaric" because that word insinuates a lack of skill and intellect involved, which we all know isn't the case.

But we're talking about sports where the main objective is to give your opponent a brain injury, so yeah these are brutal sports.

Back