Is missing weight a lack of mental toughness?

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score
I turn to you sherdog becuase I am well aware how many of you hold vast knowledge on all things fighting, financial, fitness and physiology

Seen plenty of fighters miss weight.
Having seen what these fighters go through and the mental anguish they do to squeeze out every single ounce.

When a fighter misses weight is it a lack of mental strength or....

tenor.gif

Fit or fat

I think it's complicated and multi-faceted:

- A lot of times people are simply trying to cut too much and their body shuts down.

- Someone might miscalculate and/or make stupid decisions. The cut might be going great and they decide to treat themselves and it backfires spectacularly (Anthony Pettis, Khabib, Charles Oliveira, and many others)

- Or they might be suffering through an injury that impedes training

Yes, you should always be able to diet down to a reasonable weight, which is an exercise of discipline

No such thing as being fat because of genetics

it could be a variety of issues. Laziness, poor preparation, mental weakness, their bodies genuinely giving out, etc.

maybe

If it's too hard to cut weight, maybe it's because they cut too much
and
maybe it's because they are affraid to fight fighters their own size?

Cutting weight is a sign of mental weakness.

Yes

1. You're scared of fighting at your correct weight class
2. You don't have the discipline to keep your weight from ballooning (lack of discipline is mental weakness)
3. You can't stand the "agony" of being cooked in a sauna so you'd rather give up the 20% fine and quit

I feel it is a a huge part and if your body struggles so bad it shuts down why not move up?
I don't like the concept of cuttin weight overall. I'm probably not gonna cut for my pro fight debut as well (in about a year and a half. Healin injury right now)

I have never cut any more than 8 pounds, but I compete with roughly 2 hour weigh ins before I lift. It can sometimes be a timing thing. If someone is way out, then it's a lack of discipline. Or they are just frankly much too big for the class.

I have never cut any more than 8 pounds, but I compete with roughly 2 hour weigh ins before I lift. It can sometimes be a timing thing. If someone is way out, then it's a lack of discipline. Or they are just frankly much too big for the class.
Say the person has been competing for years

Shouldn't they know in regards to how to time a cut?

I turn to you sherdog becuase I am well aware how many of you hold vast knowledge on all things fighting, financial, fitness and physiology

Seen plenty of fighters miss weight.
Having seen what these fighters go through and the mental anguish they do to squeeze out every single ounce.

When a fighter misses weight is it a lack of mental strength or....
Depends on the fighter. Some that miss weight are lucky that they manage to make weight a majority of the time. It takes a lot of mental toughness to even make weight period with how much they weigh. Then there are fighters like Dern, Hendricks, Gastelum, who are overweight but aren't even cut up to there's obviously more they could do.

Say the person has been competing for years

Shouldn't they know in regards to how to time a cut?

They really should. Well Professionals should.

My cuts have always been basic and pretty minor. All I do is manipulate water and sodium. Sometimes really hot baths the night before.

Body failing attempting to cut 5-20% body weight in the span of 7-10 days?
Definitely a mental thing
tenor.gif

Some people cut too much weight, and use it to their advantage to discontinue cutting the rest, or are physically unable. Some people lack the dedication when it comes to their diet. But I wouldn’t call anyone in the ufc mentally weak. It takes extreme dedication and mental toughness to make it to the ufc, do countless interviews, and interview with rogan/anik while you know millions are watching.

Sometimes it is just bad dieting.

Obvious answer is sometimes obvious.

It's a scam. They're either scared of their opponent and want to be as big as they can and fook the 20%. They have months to prepare. No excuse. If they can't make weight they shouldn't be at that weight class. Not laziness though.

Back