Is Michael Myers the Spider-Man of the Horror genre?

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It seems like his films keep getting funded by Hollywood even if his last 4 films were a flop.
And just like Spider-Man, his films keep getting rebooted, remade, sequeled, prequeled, or dashequeled. No continuity in the film series whatsoever!
He's not even the most exciting horror villain either, so I dont get it.
I never thought Spider-Man was the most exciting comic book hero, so even his push by Hollywood seems nonsensical.

We need something new!!!
These characters are too safe.

Nah Peter didn't want to fuck his sister

In both cases, the diminishing quality of the films necessitated new visionaries to come on board with restarts. Then, when those visions sucked, it created a loop that cycles over and over until they "achieve" the impossible task of replicating the success and effect of the original work.

That being said, the only thing I want to see Michael Myers in next is a big slasher crossover with him and Jason Voorhees as the two focal points.

Pinhead > Mike Myers, IMO

Hollywood/British Cinema need to put more money, effort, and creativity into the Hellraiser franchise.

hellraiser-poster-main.jpg

Just my $0.02

In both cases, the diminishing quality of the films necessitated new visionaries to come on board with restarts. Then, when those visions sucked, it created a loop that cycles over and over until they "achieve" the impossible task of replicating the success and effect of the original work.

That being said, the only thing I want to see Michael Myers in next is a big slasher crossover with him and Jason Voorhees as the two focal points.

Great point about the diminishing returns.

The only issue I have with the crossover is that both guys are big f'n dude frightening presences but have no personality to them. In a given film, that relentless force of nature quality works well and you have the actors playing off of that. But with both of them- it's too much lumbering menace sans personality that it becomes dull.

Freddy vs. Jason worked, in my opinion, (not only because the essential plot of him using Jason to conjure up fear on Elm Street again so he could return was a surprisingly clever plot) because Freddy had that sardonic personality that could keep things entertaining.

How this new one performs will say a lot about whether people are just past the franchise or not. They are hyping it a lot and JLC is back, but if it tanks, then I doubt we see the character for a long time.

Halloween 3 is an underrated gem of the franchise. No Myers, but Tom f'n Atkins plus a great villain turn from Dan O'Herlihy, a weird James Bond-ish vibe to the segment at his compound, that annoying-ass jingle that you start to love because it gets stuck in your head, and Conal Cochran's plot is really messed up.

Plus there's this really unsettling Invasion of the Body Snatchers type ending.

I'd say Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween 3, and H20 are my favorites.

4 and 5 I remember little about so I have to re-watch.

Druid curse one is utter trash despite the presence of the man Rudd.

Halloween Resurrection is the nadir of the series. Awful.

It seems like his films keep getting funded by Hollywood even if his last 4 films were a flop.
And just like Spider-Man, his films keep getting rebooted, remade, sequeled, prequeled, or dashequeled. No continuity in the film series whatsoever!
He's not even the most exciting horror villain either, so I dont get it.
I never thought Spider-Man was the most exciting comic book hero, so even his push by Hollywood seems nonsensical.

We need something new!!!
These characters are too safe.

No. The spider man franchise is a far bigger cash cow than the Halloween franchise, so it makes more sense that they would keep rehashing Spider Man.

Great point about the diminishing returns.

The only issue I have with the crossover is that both guys are big f'n dude frightening presences but have no personality to them. In a given film, that relentless force of nature quality works well and you have the actors playing off of that. But with both of them- it's too much lumbering menace sans personality that it becomes dull.

Freddy vs. Jason worked, in my opinion, (not only because the essential plot of him using Jason to conjure up fear on Elm Street again so he could return was a surprisingly clever plot) because Freddy had that sardonic personality that could keep things entertaining.
Hit the nail on the head here.

The big problem of a crossover with a bunch of supervillains is that the structure of a typical narrative would necessitate that at least one of them be turned into a protagonist—if they are to fight each other (which is kind of the whole point of a crossover like this).

You can take your chance at introducing an actual hero (who's not a serial killer), but then the conflict isn't between the serial killers, but the regular human hero and them—again, defeating the point of a crossover.

It's not impossible though, just complex. I'm thinking about trying my hand at writing this (for sport...).

There were so many versions of Spiderman in a short time because Sam Raimi and Tobey McGuire left after Spiderman 3. Originally they had at least two more films planned for that version of the character. When that fell through the idiots at Sony decided to reboot it rather than just recast someone like what happened with Batman in the 90's. You can actually see from the Sony email leaks that several people at Sony at the time think the dude who was behind the decision to reboot so soon made a terrible mistake in doing so.

Then the reason that version fell through after only two movies is because they didn't make enough at the box office to justify continuing. Sony wanted those films to be $billion earners, but they grossed in the $700 million range, less than any of the Sam Raimi films. That's why the co-production deal with Disney happened, and why we got yet another actor playing a new version of Spiderman. Sony basically went to Marvel and Disney in desperation, their cash-cow franchise in serious trouble. It was a good decision to introduce Tom Holland's Spiderman in Civil War, I think it helped push that film to over $1 billion, and was the major factor in Homecoming earning more than the Andre Garfield films, in fact it's the second highest grossing of the franchise after Spiderman 3.

Hit the nail on the head here.

The big problem of a crossover with a bunch of supervillains is that the structure of a typical narrative would necessitate that at least one of them be turned into a protagonist—if they are to fight each other (which is kind of the whole point of a crossover like this).

You can take your chance at introducing an actual hero (who's not a serial killer), but then the conflict isn't between the serial killers, but the regular human hero and them—again, defeating the point of a crossover.

It's not impossible though, just complex. I'm thinking about trying my hand at writing this (for sport...).

You should! I'd read it.

They did that in Freddy vs. Jason by making Jason "sympathetic" (and again, given the backstory of each, that's the route you would have to go) and the de facto face in the feud. But I use sympathetic extremely loosely of course. But I think I recall even the lead characters being like, "oh fuck can't believe what happened to that poor kid," and then saving him when Freddy is going to drown him.

But the problem is that most people I recall watching the film were "rooting" for Freddy in that feud (again used loosely) because Freddy, again, is the more fleshed out, verbally interesting character. So you had a scenario where they want one of them to be the face, the other to be the heel, but like The Rock in WWE back in the late 90s, the heel is the one who is getting cheered.

And it's sort of one of the difficulties they injected into the Nightmare series in general because they made Freddy somehow into a one-liner spouting, sardonic anti-hero. Which is problematic because given how messed up his backstory is let alone the horrific nature of the dream demon, you don't really want the audience to be considering him anything but heinous.

No different than any of the big horror icons of the 70's and 80's.
-Last four Friday the 13th films had nothing to do with one another (Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, and the Friday the 13th remake).
-The Texas Chain Saw Massacre- remake, prequel to remake, sequel to the original that ignores 2, 3, and The Next Generation (which itself ignored III which ignored II), prequel to the original that ignores said sequel from a few years prior.
-A Nightmare on Elm Street- Freddy's Dead, New Nightmare in which the ANoES movies are movies, Freddy vs. Jason, and the remake, nothing to do with one another.
-Hellraiser- Every sequel since part IV has been a script that had nothing to do with the Hellraiser mythos that had Pinhead and Cenobites planted in it so that New Line could keep the Hellraiser property.
-Child's Play and Phantasm have at least a decently steady continuity, even if there is no way Chucky came back from the ending of 3 (chopped into small bits and those bits exploded in mid air), never mind that he just looked like he had some stitches in Bride.

You should! I'd read it.

They did that in Freddy vs. Jason by making Jason "sympathetic" (and again, given the backstory of each, that's the route you would have to go) and the de facto face in the feud. But I use sympathetic extremely loosely of course. But I think I recall even the lead characters being like, "oh fuck can't believe what happened to that poor kid," and then saving him when Freddy is going to drown him.

But the problem is that most people I recall watching the film were "rooting" for Freddy in that feud (again used loosely) because Freddy, again, is the more fleshed out, verbally interesting character. So you had a scenario where they want one of them to be the face, the other to be the heel, but like The Rock in WWE back in the late 90s, the heel is the one who is getting cheered.

And it's sort of one of the difficulties they injected into the Nightmare series in general because they made Freddy somehow into a one-liner spouting, sardonic anti-hero. Which is problematic because given how messed up his backstory is let alone the horrific nature of the dream demon, you don't really want the audience to be considering him anything but heinous.
Based on your encouragement, @ufcfan4, I've actually started on this:

Halloween is still the best slasher movie and one of the best horrors and better movie than any Spider-Man movie :)

Last edited:
Firstly, It's Spider-Man.

Secondly, no firstly again, Spider-Man is awesome.

Thirdly, Spider-Man, Spider-Man Spider-ManSpider-ManSpider-Man

What an odd comparison...
Spiderman isn't Superman or Batman popular, but he's definitely up there

The Spiderman movies and their reboots are a special case. The 3rd movie with Tobey Maguire basically killed that franchise.
The reboot with Garfield really wasn't bad, and had it came out first, it'd be one of the most loved hero movies out there. The 2nd one was a stinker, and could have been a lot better had they went with a different villain. Foxx was terrible as Shocker.

The current Spiderman is in the hands of Marvel. It's not just about the individual character now, it's him being in the MCU that makes this different, and why there was a relatively quick reboot.

How this new one performs will say a lot about whether people are just past the franchise or not. They are hyping it a lot and JLC is back, but if it tanks, then I doubt we see the character for a long time.

Halloween 3 is an underrated gem of the franchise. No Myers, but Tom f'n Atkins plus a great villain turn from Dan O'Herlihy, a weird James Bond-ish vibe to the segment at his compound, that annoying-ass jingle that you start to love because it gets stuck in your head, and Conal Cochran's plot is really messed up.

Plus there's this really unsettling Invasion of the Body Snatchers type ending.

I'd say Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween 3, and H20 are my favorites.

4 and 5 I remember little about so I have to re-watch.

Druid curse one is utter trash despite the presence of the man Rudd.

Halloween Resurrection is the nadir of the series. Awful.

I am left unimpressed with the trailer for the new movie. Halloween H20 and Resurrection were not perfect movies yet at least the audience received what appeared to be Michael aesthetically. I really hate what the filmmakers have turned Michael into especially Rob Zombie. Michael was never intended to be a lumbering idiot. I have no hope for the series and wish they would just stop. Toying with the main character and making a mockery of him makes it even worse.
michael-myers-gif-14.gif

halloween-resurrection-michael-myers-2687492-900-585.jpg

Back