Is Michael Johnson the most talented fighter to go on a 1-5 run in the UFC

travis browne is currently sitting at 1-5 in his last 6 fights. not sure's he more "talented" than mj, but he was close to getting a title shot.

kailin curran is currently 1-6 in her last 7.

Travis Browne was a good fighter

Travis Rousey...meh...not so much

He's Melvin Guillard 2.0

giphy.gif

I hate to see him starve himself down to 145

I think he has about the same result in either division... So why not eat?

His picture is in the book of fighting under "styles make fights" Meaning he can look very good against some high level guys.. He has great wins, but less opponents who are not a good matchup have beaten him.

Let him eat,,, put him back at 155 after a few months to recover physically and mentally and then let us enjoy watching him try to work his way back up... He can maybe earn fights with top 10 guys, but I doubt if he ever challenges for a belt...

But I like fights and he comes to fight.

I like Johnson

Dan Henderson went 1-5:

Split decision loss against Machida
Split decision loss against Evans
Got Ko'd by Vitor
Ko'd Shogun
Sub'd by Cormier
TKO'd by Moose.

Apart from Moose everyone on that was a former champion or went on to be a champion.

Actually Moose is the former Strikeforce LHW Champ.......As many good fighters as Strikeforce had at that time period...don't know why one wouldn't recognize the title, especially when the UFC has announced fighters as either the "Former Strikeforce, or Former WEC" Champ. Not to mention...I would rank Moose as a Top 10 MW All Time myself.

Actually Moose is the former Strikeforce LHW Champ.......As many good fighters as Strikeforce had at that time period...don't know why one wouldn't recognize the title, especially when the UFC has announced fighters as either the "Former Strikeforce, or Former WEC" Champ. Not to mention...I would rank Moose as a Top 10 MW All Time myself.
You're right. I don't know why I didn't actually.

I really like MJ, I feel hes such a good fighter and could potentially be a title challenger at FW

Its hard to believe such a talented fighter is 1-5 in his last 6 fights

His sole win was against Pourier, who he destroyed and Pourier looking like a future contender at LW, and has beat former title winners Pettis and Alvarez (well he would have beaten Alvarez if not for the illegal blow)

The Derush decision was a robbery. MJ wins the rematch

He underestimated Nate Diaz while being a heavy favorite. I feel MJ wins the rematch

Both Gaethje and Elkins he had on the ropes, and should have finished them, if not for their incredible resilience and heart. I really think he beats both in a rematch

Then there's Khabib...well no one at LW seems to be able to even challenge Khabib

Not giving you shit but Pourier?Derush?Then you spell Gaethje correct lol.I just find that funny.Maybe you should have copied and pasted the first two also.Seriously though I would say Hendo,Chuck,Melendez and probably a bunch more.As far as talent wise,ugh that just messes up the question.Is he super talented on the ground?

He’s not a talented grappler though..

He has had so many years to improve in that area but hasn’t been able to.

He’s a good fighter but he has never fought for a title.

High level gatekeeper type guy.

Fun to watch.

We need the Michael Johnson's of the game, just because he doesn't earn a TS doesn't mean he isn't a relevant fighter. Joe Lauzon is all all-time great gatekeeper and made a fortune in bonuses.

Explosive athlete with a weak mind. I love making money off his quitting in fights.

Not a big fan of his but I really respect his toughness and never looking for a way out of a fight.

Like his fight with khabib. The majority of fighters today would have just balled up and waited for the referee to come stop the fight. I see it all the time. There is no quit in Michael.

While I think Nate is a gatekeeper at LW Nate is a bad stylistical match up for MJ. It wasn't about underestimating him. I cashed in on that fight.

Nate is just as good or a better boxer than MJ but is longer. MJ doesn't have the comfortability or skill set to implement a leg kick heavy gameplan and even if MJ was better in wrestling Nates BJJ scared him off from trying it much and I give the cardio edge and chin to Nate.

Nates length and jab centered southpaw boxing style negated MJs speed advantage.

So Nates sharper boxing and size pieces him up on the feet and solid chin protects him from single shots that might sneak through while his BJJ negates MJs wrestling and there you have it.

Plus MJ has a sharp 1 2 and lead hook but instead swings a bit too wild for some ridiculous reason.

Nate was destined to win that fight.

Jonathan Brookins doesn't have wins over fighters like Ferguson, Barboza and Poirier though.
good point, however those guys kept getting better and evolving and growing. Johnson hasn't.

I like watching mjs striking , hes fast and uses different strikes to mix it up , his ground game needs tons of work. Reminds me of a better version of yves Edwards with his stand up

Back