Is Michael Johnson the most talented fighter to go on a 1-5 run in the UFC

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I really like MJ, I feel hes such a good fighter and could potentially be a title challenger at FW

Its hard to believe such a talented fighter is 1-5 in his last 6 fights

His sole win was against Pourier, who he destroyed and Pourier looking like a future contender at LW, and has beat former title winners Pettis and Alvarez (well he would have beaten Alvarez if not for the illegal blow)

The Derush decision was a robbery. MJ wins the rematch

He underestimated Nate Diaz while being a heavy favorite. I feel MJ wins the rematch

Both Gaethje and Elkins he had on the ropes, and should have finished them, if not for their incredible resilience and heart. I really think he beats both in a rematch

Then there's Khabib...well no one at LW seems to be able to even challenge Khabib

He is up there. Condit is 2-6 in his last 8.

Both guys are good fighters. They just fight in the two most stacked divisions.

I wouldn't pick MJ in any of those rematches. Those were all better fighters he lost to. I still have faith in MJ moving up the FW ranks. No shame in losing to Elkins who has good takedowns and top game.

Chuck Liddell went 1-5 before retiring.

Talent means shit if you have a terrible fight IQ.

Michael Johnson is severely overrated. No one seems to have a problem recognizing and understanding what type of fighter Jonathan Brookins is; MJ is the same that just one rung lower.

Dan Henderson went 1-5:

Split decision loss against Machida
Split decision loss against Evans
Got Ko'd by Vitor
Ko'd Shogun
Sub'd by Cormier
TKO'd by Moose.

Apart from Moose everyone on that was a former champion or went on to be a champion.

Most Talented is BJ Penn. However, talent doesn't mean anything without proper training, motivation and preparation.

Michael Johnson may be the highest level fighter to do it though. He's still very very good and capable, but has lost to just great fighters.

Michael Johnson is severely overrated. No one seems to have a problem recognizing and understanding what type of fighter Jonathan Brookins is; MJ is the same that just one rung lower.
Jonathan Brookins doesn't have wins over fighters like Ferguson, Barboza and Poirier though.

I don't know if he would win most of those rematches...

He is talented...but a bit aggressive in the stand up and his sub defense isn't good at all...

Hatsu Hioki should be mentioned...massivley talented...but also went like 1-5 in his last 6 UFC fights

He is a very talented fighter, his 1-5 is astonishing. I believe Guy Mezger, who was a talented all round fighter back in the 90's-00's, went on a similar loosing run. That's the only one I can think of.

travis browne is currently sitting at 1-5 in his last 6 fights. not sure's he more "talented" than mj, but he was close to getting a title shot.

kailin curran is currently 1-6 in her last 7.

Jonathan Brookins doesn't have wins over fighters like Ferguson, Barboza and Poirier though.

Both fighters are middle of the pack. While MJ has some good wins, that you named, their value is greatly diminished because of the lack of consistency in his career.

MJ is a very good athlete with very solid striking. He beat the brakes off Barboza with pure boxing and moving forward.

He's always lacked fight IQ and he is a liability on the mat.

Nope, Gilbert Melendez is more talented than MJ

A few of those fights he looked like he was gonna run through fools in the first round. He's super talented but he's had the same issues over the last few years.

Back