Is Michael B Jordan's performance in Black Panther overrated?

Fuck yes. It almost makes the movie unwatchable for me. I really enjoyed the movie as a whole, other than his performance.

I kept waiting for the show to transition to being centered in a city somewhere and then the show ended.....

I thought he was trash. Not believable as a hardcore mercenary killer. "Hi auntie"

That was his best line. The grin and everything.

As far as his lines about being buried at sea... yeesh...

Every single thing about that movie is overrated.

it's a good film, but we have reached peak woke-syndrome when a serial blockbuster with a 7.4 on IMDb is generating incessant chatter that it deserves a Best Picture nomination. Avengers: Infinity War is pulling an 8.5, but there's no agenda to drive it beyond good taste.

Every single thing about that movie is overrated.

it's a good film, but we have reached peak woke-syndrome when a serial blockbuster with a 7.4 on IMDb is generating incessant chatter that it deserves a Best Picture nomination. Avengers: Infinity War is pulling an 8.5, but there's no agenda to drive it beyond good taste.

Best Picture? Come on man...
<36>

I watched the first 6 minute of that movie and was blown away st how bad it seemed it was going to be and how popular it was. Turned it off ...
Is it actually worth watching

I didn't like Letita Wright's character at all. It seemed like one of those characters that belong on a network TV, the generic sassy CSI lab assistant, or hacker, or some other "nerd" added to provided some witty eccentric banter.
tumblr_mfzihbkMjY1qc4cp9o7_250.gif

His performance in everything is overrated. I don’t know what it is about him, but I just cannot stand him. He’s so corny.

I watched the first 6 minute of that movie and was blown away st how bad it seemed it was going to be and how popular it was. Turned it off ...
Is it actually worth watching

Its worth watching IMO. But don't expect it to change your life.

Ever since it came out everyone raved over his performance. Personally, I don't see it.

I didn't believe that he was an intelligent mastermind. The museum scene, where he talks to the museum lady and poisons her....he didn't make me buy it. It didn't make me think "this is Killmonger" it made me think "this is MBJ reading lines for Killmonger"

Now not saying he did terrible, but he didn't strike me as the best performance in the film. IMO the best performances were Andy Serkis and Letita Wright. Him and her respectfully were the two performances that shot out at me. Also Winston Duke.

Now, Killmonger as a character in the film is terrific and written very well. However I don't think MBJ added anything more than what was in the script.

Not trying to hate on MBJ. He's great in Creed and is not terrible in this but I think people are really overblowing this performance.

It's a Marvel movie.... What are you expecting? DDL as Lincoln?

Didn't TDK get nominated or almost nominated?
TDK caused a major controversy because it didn't get nominated.

The fact we are talking about a comic book blockbuster is only half my point. I don't care what the corrupt critics on RT or MC think in 2018 long after those site scores stopped meaning anything. I'm talking about the people. BP's IMDB score is 7.4. That's a very, very low score for any Best Picture nominee to get-- even in this stupid era of "up to 10" nominees. Typically only more abstruse or controversial (not in a political sense) arthouse/indie movies squeak in with that, or in the past some movies that had the powerhouse lobby backing of studios like Weinstein's Miramax.

There were four MCU films this year. Not only did IW make a boatload more money than BP, since the Academy is keen to include an "accessible" option ever since their TDK omission travesty, which ironically has correlated to an opposite effect with the ceremony's TV viewership, but it also utterly destroys it in terms of how the public rates it: 8.5 vs. 7.4 is a massive gap. That's the difference between an all-time Top 50 film and a better-than-average but still middle-of-the-road annual release.

I find it stupid that people want these deep characters from these films. Of course they have depth, but when people talk about oscars, I gotta laugh. These movies are popcorn entertainment, as they should be, given the content.

He was just another good, but not great bad guy from the MCU, imho.

he is a good actor and the movie was ok, but people act like its the greatest movie ever made or some shit just because its all black people with a white bad guy

TDK caused a major controversy because it didn't get nominated.

The fact we are talking about a comic book blockbuster is only half my point. I don't care what the corrupt critics on RT or MC think in 2018 long after those site scores stopped meaning anything. I'm talking about the people. BP's IMDB score is 7.4. That's a very, very low score for any Best Picture nominee to get-- even in this stupid era of "up to 10" nominees. Typically only more abstruse or controversial (not in a political sense) arthouse/indie movies squeak in with that, or in the past some movies that had the powerhouse lobby backing of studios like Weinstein's Miramax.

There were four MCU films this year. Not only did IW make a boatload more money than BP, since the Academy is keen to include an "accessible" option ever since their TDK omission travesty, which ironically has correlated to an opposite effect with the ceremony's TV viewership, but it also utterly destroys it in terms of how the public rates it: 8.5 vs. 7.4 is a massive gap. That's the difference between an all-time Top 50 film and a better-than-average but still middle-of-the-road annual release.

Yeah they added 5 more slots the same year TDK came out I think. Its crazy I really remember it getting nominated. I think Juno and little miss sunshine got nominated lol

As far as best picture nominations goes BP is up there with the worst for sure

He was the best part of the movie, but it became iconic because of broad overall appeal combined with deep demographic appeal. Marvel has had a strong run of villains in recent movies, it elevates tired or repetitive characters to have them face different types of enemies. This was definitely a case of the bad guy carrying the movie, so it’s hard to get on him about being overrated, since he earned some mass appeal, much more than the rest of the cast.

Back