Is Michael B Jordan's performance in Black Panther overrated?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Ever since it came out everyone raved over his performance. Personally, I don't see it.

I didn't believe that he was an intelligent mastermind. The museum scene, where he talks to the museum lady and poisons her....he didn't make me buy it. It didn't make me think "this is Killmonger" it made me think "this is MBJ reading lines for Killmonger"

Now not saying he did terrible, but he didn't strike me as the best performance in the film. IMO the best performances were Andy Serkis and Letita Wright. Him and her respectfully were the two performances that shot out at me. Also Winston Duke.

Now, Killmonger as a character in the film is terrific and written very well. However I don't think MBJ added anything more than what was in the script.

Not trying to hate on MBJ. He's great in Creed and is not terrible in this but I think people are really overblowing this performance.

Maybe because YOU'RE still talking about it, but I haven't heard much lately.

He was black, what more do you want?

I didn't like Letita Wright's character at all. It seemed like one of those characters that belong on a network TV, the generic sassy CSI lab assistant, or hacker, or some other "nerd" added to provided some witty eccentric banter.

Serkis was awesome, Duke was good, MBJ was good too.

The movie was overrated, just like every other Marvel/DC movie is severely overrated.

Whoo good guy with superpowers defeats bad guy with superpowers when it looked like bad guy with superpowers was about to beat good guy with superpowers up until 5 minutes left in the movie.

when people make a thread about something being overrated, you should have to provide some evidence of its current 'rating'.

you're not providing any counter points to the majority's reasoning, all you're doing is saying "someone says this, but i say that."

Overrated like breakfast burritos

I can think of 1000's better acted villains

You will never see his character here:

when people make a thread about something being overrated, you should have to provide some evidence of its current 'rating'.

you're not providing any counter points to the majority's reasoning, all you're doing is saying "someone says this, but i say that."

I literally made 3 reasons why I didn't like it

I was triggered by lack of diversity in Black Panther.

He way overworked a few of his lines.

He basically tried to growl everything out.

As far as MCU movies go though, it was a good movie and a good performance. Not great though.

I liked BP, it grew on me the more times I watched it.

FFS though, people acting like it was a failure because it wasn't another Citizen Kane can fuck themselves. It was a comic book origin story.

And the people who were unsettled by all the black people in a movie can fuck themselves too. The public didn't shit the bed over how white Captain America the First Averger was.

As a comic book movie I give it ~8/10.

I thought he was trash. Not believable as a hardcore mercenary killer. "Hi auntie"

Back