Is Megumi Fujii the Strawweight GOAT?

It's either Megumi, Joanna, Cyborg, or Ronda. I don't see a reasonable argument for any other WMMA fighter. At this point, I don't think anyone necessarily has a claim to the throne, simply because WMMA hasn't been fully formed for a long enough period of time.

I tend to think of Mega Megu as a pioneer, as opposed to GOAT. She's the female equivalent to Royce Gracie. She was great for her time, but the quality of opposition was very low.

Ronda had an amazing run of success, but she loses major points because of the way her psyche was broken by a single loss; and the fact that the sport essentially passed her by in the middle of her prime.

Cyborg is a tornado of violence, but he quality of opposition has been very low, and she only fights women much smaller than her. And the whole PED hangs over her career, as well.

As for Joanna, a lot depends on how she bounces back from her first defeat. If she comes back to form and puts together a few more quality wins, then she'll undeniably be the GOAT.

More mma fans(casual and hardcore) know who ronda rousey is than any other mma fighter. Shit i know average joes who know who ronda is.

So youre wrong
Knowing one fighter is not knowing WMMA.

Try not to sound like a dumbass

I would put Ronda at #1. She main evented and put butts in the seats.

There's Cyborg, easy GOAT, then everyone else.

imo yes, no one except extreme hardcore fans know who she is though so she never gets brought up.

also anyone who knows their shit knows that zoila fight was a robbery, and then she lost due to eyepokes in the second aguilar fight.

really only 1 legit loss at the end of her career.

i think cyborg will probably take it though since she most likely won't lose against these bum ass 135'ers and nobodies. joanna could also come back and take GOAT status eventually if she beats rose then keeps winning again.

Last edited:
I think she is the hipster WMMA fan pick for GOAT. None of the names on her record are even close to Claudia Gadelha or Jessica Andrade in terms of skill and those 2 are not even the best at 115 now.
Hard to say, styles makes fights just because Rose is champion now doesn't mean they might not be favored to beat her. And Joanna already beat them but again her style might just match up well to theirs, the 4 might all be on the same level or Rose could even be worse overall (has proven the least despite the Joanna win).

Megumi Fujii was certainly one of the best. Calling her the GOAT is not an absurd statement. No one would deny putting her in the Top 3 of all time. She never fought her true rival, Miku Matsumoto, who was also extremely dominant around the same time. So, we'll never know if she was truly the GOAT. Ragardless of skill and records/results, I tend to give more credit to Rousey just because she did much more for the sport.

Cyborg is the WMMA GOAT in the same way some people might say Mia St. John is the GOAT of women's boxing.

Jarl

Pioneer of WMMA. Might not be the greatest... but had a great run.

Megumi Fujii was certainly one of the best. Calling her the GOAT is not an absurd statement. No one would deny putting her in the Top 3 of all time. She never fought her true rival, Miku Matsumoto, who was also extremely dominant around the same time. So, we'll never know if she was truly the GOAT. Ragardless of skill and records/results, I tend to give more credit to Rousey just because she did much more for the sport.

Cyborg is the WMMA GOAT in the same way some people might say Mia St. John is the GOAT of women's boxing.

Jarl

I would say Mega Megu's greatest rival was Yuka Tsuji.

I believe 10 years from now we'll be talking about UFC fighters as the "GOAT" fighters of WMMA.

But right now, none of them are fucking with what the Japanese fighters were doing in the 00's.

Megumi Fuji, Yuka Tsuji, Satoko Shinashi etc etc.

The problem with Cyborg in this conversation is that she is such a monstrosity of a woman that it's rare for her to be matched up with an opponent that is physically appropriate for her, which might not be a problem if she wasn't so obviously chemically enhanced.

I doubt another woman will start 22-0 or even have a 22 fight win streak for a looong time. Rin Nakai started 16-0 which was impressive (despite being embarrassed in the states). Fujii's record is comparable to some of the guys. Bas won 22 straight, Barao won 22 straight, Julio Cesar Neves started 30-0, and Vovchanchyn won 37 in a row.

Megumi can definitely make a case for WMMA GOAT

Yup. I say she's the goat. Lots of finishes and even her losses were controversial and / or contentious at the very least.

There's Cyborg, easy GOAT, then everyone else.
You mean the girl who was oversized at Featherweight and primarily fought Bantamweights and Flyweights? Who also popped twice for PEDs? You mean that one?

I would put Ronda at #1. She main evented and put butts in the seats.
giphy.gif

I doubt another woman will start 22-0 or even have a 22 fight win streak for a looong time. Rin Nakai started 16-0 which was impressive (despite being embarrassed in the states). Fujii's record is comparable to some of the guys. Bas won 22 straight, Barao won 22 straight, Julio Cesar Neves started 30-0, and Vovchanchyn won 37 in a row.

Megumi can definitely make a case for WMMA GOAT
Julio is GOAT material. :p

Back