Is McGregor vs. Nurmagomedov really the biggest fight in MMA history?

2 mil? You really think so? With the way buyrates have been going lately, I'm not sure it breaks 1.5 mil. How much longer will the casual, non-MMA general public have interest in McGregor? He is definitely the biggest star we've seen to date, so if anyone can do it, it's Conor.
The Floyd fight is still relatively fresh in peoples minds. Same with the bus incident. The guy has 24 million Instagram followers, 7 mil on twitter.

Pretty sure Conor Is a bigger star than he's ever been.

If by "biggest", they mean most PPV buys, I think that it definitely could be IF they promote it properly. However I don't really have faith that they will...

Biggest in terms of significance? In UFC history? Nah. It's up there though.

No need to fret. McGregor Sports & Entertainment is running this show.

There's been lot's of fight I've been just as if not more excited for.

Fedor vs Nog

Rampage vs. Chuck 1

Chuck vs. Randy

Fedor vs Cro Cop

Conor vs. Aldo

Conor vs. Nate 2

DC vs. JJ 1

I'm sure there's more that I just can't think of atm.

Every few years we do get the "biggest fight in mma history", the ufc isnt lying for once, either. As long as Conor keeps winning his next fight will always be the "biggest fight in mma history". Haters keep hating.

This is nothing compared to the hype of GSP vs Penn 2. Two of the all time greatest champions and the best in their division. That is the biggest fight ever.

Not as big now as it would have been a year ago but regardless it's still pretty big. I'd say that as far as legacy etc. goes the DC vs Stipe fight was "bigger" but the Conor vs Khabib fight will do better numbers

Not even going to be top 10 in UFC history, let alone the greatest match in MMA.

Kazushi Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie (Pride 2000 Grand Prix) has always been widely considered as the most important match in MMA history, it is also pinning the undefeated Royce Gracie (12-0-1) against the future of Takada's Dojo, Kazushi Sakuraba (8-1-1). The match took place at the Tokyo Dome in front of an audience of 38,429 people. The match even had "special rules" put in place at the request of the Gracie family. They called for an unlimited number of 15 minute rounds, no judges, no referee stoppages, and only knockout, submission or towel throw as ways to win. Sakuaraba won as Royce Gracie corner threw in the towel after 90 minutes. 6 rounds later. It wasn't so much the action of the fight as much as the vast significance at what was being achieved, in which can never be replicated nor witnessed again.

Yes, it is. Atleast it is the case for the hardcore fans, who followed both these fucking savages from the local scene. Both them have steam rolled thru elite competitors like a knife cutting thru butter. The noobs who pay attention to fan bases above techniques, drama above fighting and act like soap opera queens will not understand. This is the highest level grappler vs striker match ever, and by a long shot.

Fedor vs Nog

Rampage vs. Chuck 1

Chuck vs. Randy

Fedor vs Cro Cop

Conor vs. Aldo

Conor vs. Nate 2

DC vs. JJ 1

I would think rampage vs wandy 2 would be in there...

McGregor vs Diaz 2? This fight is legit, but no one can even say the name of Conor's adversary.
Conor’s adversary is khabib. Khabib is an undefeated Russian who holds the belt. He’s 26-0 and has been dominant. You know who he is. He’s also the guy on the bus.

He’s not a popular name to casual fans but he’s part of the narrative for this fight which will add to the drama.

Fedor vs Nog

Rampage vs. Chuck 1

Chuck vs. Randy

Fedor vs Cro Cop

Conor vs. Aldo

Conor vs. Nate 2

DC vs. JJ 1

Those were all great fights to anticipate. But this will be a bigger fight. It just will be.

Not even going to be top 10 in UFC history, let alone the greatest match in MMA.

Kazushi Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie (Pride 2000 Grand Prix) has always been widely considered as the most important match in MMA history, it is also pinning the undefeated Royce Gracie (12-0-1) against the future of Takada's Dojo, Kazushi Sakuraba (8-1-1). The match took place at the Tokyo Dome in front of an audience of 38,429 people. The match even had "special rules" put in place at the request of the Gracie family. They called for an unlimited number of 15 minute rounds, no judges, no referee stoppages, and only knockout, submission or towel throw as ways to win. Sakuaraba won as Royce Gracie corner threw in the towel after 90 minutes. 6 rounds later. It wasn't so much the action of the fight as much as the vast significance at what was being achieved, in which can never be replicated nor witnessed again.

That was a big fight for its time, but it's definitely not the biggest fight ever at this point. It wasn't even the biggest fight in PRIDE. Fedor vs Cro Cop and Hendo vs Wandy were bigger fights. There's been bigger fights in the UFC, too.

It's not 2002 anymore.

Biggest fight would be dern till vs darren till with no weight limit, can't get any bigger than that lb 4 lb the biggest ever, would need to reinforce the octagon floor.

If it breaks the PPV numbers it will be the biggest obviously.

Is it once in human history though??
Is this really the best UFC/WME can do
Or are they just checking boxes

It's got all the makings for it honestly.

Conor is a bigger star now than ever before, random people who have never watched an MMA fight have heard of Conor McGregor and this is his return fight to reclaim the belt he was never beaten for.
He's going against an undefeated champion who's dominated everyone who they've put infront of him, and also has a whole country behind him.

Add the bus incident which had a lot of mainstream attention and it's on course to be the most anticipated MMA fight ever. And that's before you even look at how they match up.

2 mil? You really think so? With the way buyrates have been going lately, I'm not sure it breaks 1.5 mil. How much longer will the casual, non-MMA general public have interest in McGregor? He is definitely the biggest star we've seen to date, so if anyone can do it, it's Conor.
You gotta remember Conor's 1.5 & 1.6m gates where before he became the Champ Champ, and before the massive MayMac fight that catapulted him to new heights.

I think any fight he took would have broke the record, but this one after the bus incident will smash it in my opinion.

Name a fight bigger without Conor in it.
There are none. Cro Cop Fedor, Royce Saku, Mir Lesnar II, Jones vs Teh DC, Andy Chael II, Andy Teh Chris are all big but really don't hold a candle if we are being completely honest here. From a technical standpoint, Cruz Dilli was great, DC Jones was great, but none of them brought the popcorn to these levels. Nate McGregor was popcorn AF, same with Aldo McGregor, but this fight has all that popcorn but is more intriguing technically. The hardcore fans have been waiting this fight since 2014

Back