Is McGregor vs. Nurmagomedov really the biggest fight in MMA history?

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was already thinking about making this thread because ive seen ariel helwani say this over and over and it really doesnt sit well with me. Im not saying it isnt or it wont be and im hyped as hell for it.... but, im not sure im 100% convinced this is the biggest fight ever.

To my surprise ESPN just posted an article on it: http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...vs-khabib-nurmagomedov-biggest-mma-fight-ever

So what does sherdog think?

IMO this might turn out to be very dissapointing. The ratings are so low right now that even a conor comeback might not hit that #1 spot ever.

Jeffs answer is interesting, although hindsight: "Define biggest. If we're evaluating in terms of big-picture significance, the gold standard has to be Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar, right? For years, we've been fed the narrative that the Spike TV telecast of the Season 1 finale of "The Ultimate Fighter" saved the UFC from financial ruin. Would the whole circus tent collapse without this big October 6 showdown?"

The next McGregor fight is always the biggest one. No one cares for his opponents.

Every couple of years we get a "Biggest fight in history."

Yes, it'll break 2m PPV buys.

Then his fight with GSP will beat that.

If by "biggest", they mean most PPV buys, I think that it definitely could be IF they promote it properly. However I don't really have faith that they will...

Biggest in terms of significance? In UFC history? Nah. It's up there though.

It's the biggest in terms of PPV

Its a big fuckin fight. I know that nostalgia will make some angry at the notion that this fight is bigger than fights of yesteryear but it likely is bigger than whatever fight you’re comparing it to.

2 mil? You really think so? With the way buyrates have been going lately, I'm not sure it breaks 1.5 mil. How much longer will the casual, non-MMA general public have interest in McGregor? He is definitely the biggest star we've seen to date, so if anyone can do it, it's Conor.

This is what im saying... i think this PPV will flop if the standard thats being set is 2M ppvs. I highly doubt that, and ive seen this being throwing around like its guaranteed

Now with GSP i can entertain that thought seriously. That fight would have a chance for being the biggest.

Its a big fuckin fight. I know that nostalgia will make some angry at the notion that this fight is bigger than fights of yesteryear but it likely is bigger than whatever fight you’re comparing it to.
McGregor vs Diaz 2? This fight is legit, but no one can even say the name of Conor's adversary.

It's gonna depend what they put on the card as far as the sales go. The ones that are top sellers are stacked top to bottom.

As far as historical significance to the UFC, that can only be determined after the fight because the significance depends on khabib and Connor and where they end up in the record books

In terms of numbers, yes.

Biggest fight overall In terms of significance? prob nowhere close

They say every fight is the biggest fight in history.

Back