Media Is Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega The Most Skilled Featherweight Fight Of All Time?

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 545701

Whenever I thought of the most skilled 145 pound fight, I thought of Aldo vs Edgar.

Both have good chins, good stand up, good grappling, good cardio (aldo is meh), and an overall solid skill set.

tumblr_mhn885jw5L1qa295zo2_500.gif

When most people think of the 145 pound division, they think of Conor vs Aldo.

You had this very skilled stand up fighter with decent TDD going at the long reigning champ

giphy.gif

Chmo.gif

UnlinedConcreteEeve-size_restricted.gif

WSqk.gif

9PDu.gif

LimitedAgileIndigowingedparrot-size_restricted.gif

Jose-Aldo-vs.-Chan-Sung-Jung-2.gif

So is Ortega vs Holloway more high level than the past 145 pound fights?

CoolCarefreeBovine-size_restricted.gif

BrightEmbellishedIcelandichorse-max-14mb.gif

giphy.gif

MAIN-UFC-206-Holloway-v-Pettis.jpg

I personally believe Aldo vs Holloway was probably the highest level considering how good Aldo is everywhere, but Ortega poses lots of threats in his hands and on the ground.

yo mods can I get a poll for this?

Options being:

Aldo vs Conor
Edgar vs Aldo
Holloway vs Aldo
Holloway vs Ortega

Aldo vs Mendes 2 should be in the mix as well

Didn't you make this thread before or am i remembering wrong?

the concept of your thread title is so flawed, i don't even know where to begin. Are you asking if the combination of "skills" between the two combatants equals the highest level of combined "skills" What do you even mean by "Most Skilled"?

i really think it is.

Almost as skilled as Lobov vs Hall
eJaB7va.gif

unless I have memory loss the only threads ive made about Ortega vs Holloway is about ring rust and who are you rooting for
Searched it and found out and you made a thread about who to root for between these two.False alarm.I'm rooting for Holloway BTW.

Aldo vs Mendes 2 should be in the mix as well

That was my favourite FW fight of all time but I think it's tough to put Chad in there

Don't get me wrong, he's a serious talent but Aldo, Conor and Frankie have all finished him inside 10 minutes so I think it's tough to take one of them out for him

The majority of people thought Edgar won the 2nd fight against Benson and he was moving down to where people thought was his right weight class to challenge a prime and dominant champ in Aldo. Both guys were the most well rounded in the division along with Mendes because they could strike and grapple. Aldo doesn't use his wrestling anymore and Holloway isn't as well rounded as Edgar or Mendes so I wouldn't choose Aldo/Holloway over Aldo/Edgar or Aldo/Mendes 2. My personal favorite FW fight of all time was Aldo/Mendes 2 because both guys gave it their all and showcased all their skills.

Conor vs Aldo had the two best fw’s in a while and was the biggest fw fight of all time. I doubt that will ever be passed up. Aldo was undefeated forever and was never even touched until the second mendes fight. Conor ran through everyone at fw and didn’t have much of a test until mendes as well.

That was my favourite FW fight of all time but I think it's tough to put Chad in there

Don't get me wrong, he's a serious talent but Aldo, Conor and Frankie have all finished him inside 10 minutes so I think it's tough to take one of them out for him

That’s fair.

But at the time of Aldo vs Mendes 2, Chad was on a nice little streak and was 11-1 in the WEC/UFC with his lone loss to Aldo, his striking was really on point and he was a real complete fighter, he gave Aldo everything he had in the rematch.

We can only tell that after the fight happens. Max has better boxing and the cardio edge (baring some weight cutting issues). Ortega has to have the grappling advantage, and some slick striking in his own right, but he gets tagged a lot. He was losing to cub before getting the sub.

Max has more ways to win, but could very well get caught in a sub at any point.

I think prime Aldo was the best featherweight we have ever seen. His 2nd fight with mendes might be the GOAT featherweight fight, but even there I think he wasn't quite as vicious as in his WEC days

Aldo vs mendes and Aldo vs Edgar both times

Back