Is Making Weight All Discipline?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Sid Arthur, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM.

1. Sid Arthur Green Belt

Sid Arthur
    I seem to remember Rogan telling a story of Rhonda going into the sauna and dropping 15 lbs after someone whined about not being able to make weight.

This goes for wrought control with people in general. I've been between 145 and 198 in my adult life, and in my experience its purely a matter of intention to control calories.

chitoortiz and RiseAboveHat like this.
  2. Leinster Rugby Brown Belt

Leinster Rugby
    Not if you're Hendricks or Khabib. Then it's all fries and desserts.

3. Sid Arthur Green Belt

Sid Arthur
    Khabib has weight problems? Hell, he barely fights to weigh in!

4. Sid Arthur Green Belt

Sid Arthur
    I'll admit I'm thinking of Calderwood and this idea women can't be criticized for their weight.

5. NastyGenes Purple Belt

NastyGenes
  6. joeyjoejoe Red Belt

joeyjoejoe
    Yeah pretty much, nobody is forcing these athletes to eat like shit.

RiseAboveHat, Egnuldt and Sid Arthur like this.
  7. dsdoubled Green Belt

dsdoubled
    Yeah. Especially considering all of these people are athletes at the highest level. If they cant make weight its bc they lack the discipline. Even the guys that have pushed it way too far, the disciplined ones have made weight. Even in the face of serious negative health effects. For the general population its also about discipline. But you find more people with legit health problems that can make it a bit harder. But still, a lot of those health problems are from terrible diet and lifestyle.

VVarhead and Sid Arthur like this.
  8. TheAmericanGazelle Blue Belt

TheAmericanGazelle
    No it's not all discipline.

There are inferior and superior ways to cut weight from a scientific perspective. With respect to dieting down, people's set points are different. Lots of things that are relevant to making weight are different among fighters to some degree, which gives different burdens and challenges to each fighter.

That being said, all fighters should have the level of discipline needed to simply make weight, even if the cut is harder or easier for some.*

*This is assuming they are fighting at a reasonable weight class. All the discipline in the world won't help if people aim for things their bodies simply aren't capable of producing.

Drain Bamage and Sid Arthur like this.
  9. OlderMan Blue Belt

OlderMan
    I hate Connor...That said. He shows that discipline is what it takes to make weight................. DISCIPLINE. Fuk Hendricks,Big Country(for being a fat ass)Cadlewood ect ect...

Sid Arthur likes this.
  10. czitos188 Orange Belt

czitos188
    Calderwood can't control herself. Take a look at her body. She is covered in useless fat in fight. Joanna has the same height and reach and you can spot a diffrence in body

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cevo Brown Belt

cevo
    Genes and other things play a part in it too.

If you have appetite that's out of control, a propensity to store fat and a body that doesn't want to get rid of water then obviously it's going to be a lot harder to make weight. Also everyone reacts differently to being severly dehydrated. Some people just feel thirst while others get all kinds of ugly symptoms.

Genes also play a part in rehydrating, especially with the IV-ban and USADA (diuretics).

12. Chagaev Blue Belt

Chagaev
    It's a matter of discipline and designer peds, if you can afford them.

13. campbecc Red Belt

campbecc
    It's also about doing it properly. they have it down to a science. I think a lot of time people miss weight on purpose when they know it is going to drain them too much; a loss hurts your career far worse than missing weight.

Sid Arthur likes this.
  14. mjmj Brown Belt

mjmj
    Cutting weight and losing weight are two different things.

TriangleMonkey, Spath and Sid Arthur like this.
  15. Jeff Forrler Custom Pimp

Jeff Forrler
    Shows why one is a champion and the other will never be close.

16. FedorGOAT Ultimate Fedorist

FedorGOAT
    Height & Reach aren't the end of all. You have to consider Bone density. Also shape of Body differs from person to person. There are 3 types of body
    Ectomorphs, Endomorphs & Mesomorphs. Also different types of Metabolism, which apparently also depends on the environment of your living, makes difference a lot.

17. mmacrisis Green Belt

mmacrisis
    Making weight is a major discipline issue. Did you eat like crap for a month prior to the fight? Do you have the stamina to cut the weight for weeks leading up to the fight? Then the age factor comes in along with genetics. It is much harder to lose the weight as you age, so over time making 170 becomes more and more difficult like Johnny.

Sid Arthur likes this.
  18. Sid Arthur Green Belt

Sid Arthur
    Fair enough. There's definitely variation among people, faster metabolism and slower, different cutting techniques. But the fighters have lots of time to prepare, they're not failing because it's their first try.

The way the rules are now they test for dehydration, right? If so then maybe you can't just jump in the sauna in a wetsuit and sweat away whatever you need.

And getting ill or having an injury that prevents cardio exercise is definitely a factor. I'm not asking people to cause themselves long term damage.

But ultimately it's all a function of calories. Illness and injury aside, given enough time, I don't see how anyone could have consistent problems making weight without discipline issues.

Drain Bamage likes this.
  19. fearoth Silver Belt

fearoth
    Calories out > Calories in

chitoortiz and Sid Arthur like this.
  20. Sid Arthur Green Belt

Sid Arthur
    Then why do so few fighters struggle with this? Old ass Randy Couture, or Romero? No problems. Maybe Calderwood can't afford to hire a dietician, but a guy like Hendricks doesn't have that excuse.

To be fair, some cut a lot more than others. Those that struggle with this tend to be the same ones, instead of it showing up more randomly.

I can also understand if I fighter doesn't want to reveal they are sick, or were recently sick, or had an injury that prevented them from being able to do cario during weight cutting. And it's not like you can just ask for a different weight class and fight at the last minute if it's not going well!