Is Lloyd Irvin a Sociopath?

To answer thread starters question, he certainly displays sociopathic behavior, but a mental health professional would have to diagnose him as a full fledged sociopath.

To answer thread starters question, he certainly displays sociopathic behavior, but a mental health professional would have to diagnose him as a full fledged sociopath.
This.
Also, as a mental health professional, we don't diagnose people as sociopaths. That's just an extremely outdated and media-sensationalized term. Same with psychopath. Antisocial Personality Disorder is the actual legitimate diagnosis used

I was in the DC area many, many years ago and stopped by his academy to train....Luckily, Lloyd wasn't there, at the time, and basically had a private lesson with one of his much older black belts. This guy was really cool, showed me around this multi level academy and told me i was lucky that i didn't stop by while Lloyd was teaching.. He laughed and introduced me to some skinny white kid that was rolling named Ryan (LOL) . They both laughed and said something like yeah he puts visitors through the gauntlet and basically has his higher belts just rag doll everybody. I was barely blue belt at the time and ended up rolling with the older black belt and had a good time. I took the hint and have never been back Lol

This.
Also, as a mental health professional, we don't diagnose people as sociopaths. That's just an extremely outdated and media-sensationalized term. Same with psychopath. Antisocial Personality Disorder is the actual legitimate diagnosis used
I've heard some legitimate health practitioners still use the term, and some disagreement about whether it is legitimate or not. Even recently heard a legitimate psychologist (Todd Grande I believe) discussing the difference between psychopathy and sociopathy.

Personality disorders all have so many overlapping traits and are difficult to tease out. Is sociopathy in the current DSM?

I was in the DC area many, many years ago and stopped by his academy to train....Luckily, Lloyd wasn't there, at the time, and basically had a private lesson with one of his much older black belts. This guy was really cool, showed me around this multi level academy and told me i was lucky that i didn't stop by while Lloyd was teaching.. He laughed and introduced me to some skinny white kid that was rolling named Ryan (LOL) . They both laughed and said something like yeah he puts visitors through the gauntlet and basically has his higher belts just rag doll everybody. I was barely blue belt at the time and ended up rolling with the older black belt and had a good time. I took the hint and have never been back Lol

LOL were you by any chance there in late 2004/early 2005? I used to drop in sometimes after work and that skinny white kid Ryan used to beat my ass. I couldn't understand how he was only a blue. Then I saw him on TUF 10 years later, looked him up and found out he had won worlds in 2006 as a purple.

How did those students not get convicted when the rape was caught on video?

How did those students not get convicted when the rape was caught on video?
Sleazy lawyers. IIRC she had had a sexual relationship with one of them in the past, and they played that angle up big time. Nevermind that she was three sheets to the wind.
I mean, Lloyd got off his gang rape charge by claiming that he couldn't get hard. Some evil shit.

Here ya go.
There used to be a big sticky thread in F12 but it's not stickied anymore. Maybe you can find it.

I mean, Lloyd got off his gang rape charge by claiming that he couldn't get hard. Some evil shit.
The gang rape case wasnt so clear cut. From what I remember reading about the trial the girl was terrified and didnt protest much. There also where passer by witnesses that she was encouraging dudes at the start. It wasnt a decent thing to be involved for sure but there was a lot more doubts then in the simplified narrative.

LOL were you by any chance there in late 2004/early 2005? I used to drop in sometimes after work and that skinny white kid Ryan used to beat my ass. I couldn't understand how he was only a blue. Then I saw him on TUF 10 years later, looked him up and found out he had won worlds in 2006 as a purple.

Yeah it was around that same time.. He wasn't wearing a gi at the time so i didn't really know what rank Ryan was. I just remember watching him roll and the guy he was rolling with couldn't pass his guard. Ryan could folding up like a lawn chair Lol If I had known who it was at the time I would have hung around and rolled with him. Wasn't till years later he kind of blew up on the tourny scene that I recognized him.

he seems like a decent coach I guess, a bit abrasive tho for my tastes

Anyone that sells a broom handle as a training device is a fucking schmuck and anyone that defends him is a fucking sucker.

The gang rape case wasnt so clear cut. From what I remember reading about the trial the girl was terrified and didnt protest much. There also where passer by witnesses that she was encouraging dudes at the start. It wasnt a decent thing to be involved for sure but there was a lot more doubts then in the simplified narrative.

Don't get involved in running trains. Don't stick around if there's a train being run. Teach your sons not to run trains. Teach your daughters not to pull trains. We're not animals. Don't fucking act like one. Animals get put in cages for a reason. Act like an animal, get put in a cage.

There's a LOT of smoke around Lloyd, just like there was around Lance Armstrong. It's the old duck pond analogy. You walk, talk, swim, and quack like a duck, you hang out at the duck pond, eat bread with a bunch of ducks, but I'm supposed to believe you're not a duck? Then what the fuck are you doing at the duck pond?

Maybe he didn't get convicted, but this is some shady shit. He clearly ran an academy with a super toxic environment. I can't imaging this happening with any of the members of my gym. Also, I don't, never have, and never will date a female bjj practitioner, much less a teammate, because of situations like this.

Keep pussy and past time separate. This is why you don't mix business with pleasure.

Yeah it was around that same time.. He wasn't wearing a gi at the time so i didn't really know what rank Ryan was. I just remember watching him roll and the guy he was rolling with couldn't pass his guard. Ryan could folding up like a lawn chair Lol If I had known who it was at the time I would have hung around and rolled with him. Wasn't till years later he kind of blew up on the tourny scene that I recognized him.

I got the sense he preferred no gi - only saw him in a gi maybe once. But due to work schedule I could only make it infrequently after the main class or open mat with a buddy who trained there. First time I rolled with him (nogi) I assumed he was a brown or something and was shocked when he told me he was only a blue. I mentioned how good he seemed for blue to the BB instructor who was hanging around after class (maybe the same guy you rolled with) and he nodded and laughed and was like, "yeah, he's getting pretty good!"

Don't get involved in running trains. Don't stick around if there's a train being run. Teach your sons not to run trains. Teach your daughters not to pull trains. We're not animals. Don't fucking act like one. Animals get put in cages for a reason. Act like an animal, get put in a cage.

There's a LOT of smoke around Lloyd, just like there was around Lance Armstrong. It's the old duck pond analogy. You walk, talk, swim, and quack like a duck, you hang out at the duck pond, eat bread with a bunch of ducks, but I'm supposed to believe you're not a duck? Then what the fuck are you doing at the duck pond?

Maybe he didn't get convicted, but this is some shady shit. He clearly ran an academy with a super toxic environment. I can't imaging this happening with any of the members of my gym. Also, I don't, never have, and never will date a female bjj practitioner, much less a teammate, because of situations like this.

Keep pussy and past time separate. This is why you don't mix business with pleasure.
Not defending runing trains. Pretty sure nobody involved was a decent person.
I went on a date with a girl who used to train at our bjj club 2 weeks ago the date sucked and she got fat but nothing horrible happened.
With girls who at least I have something in common, it's super hard to relate to people who are completly different and share nothing.

I've heard some legitimate health practitioners still use the term, and some disagreement about whether it is legitimate or not. Even recently heard a legitimate psychologist (Todd Grande I believe) discussing the difference between psychopathy and sociopathy.

Personality disorders all have so many overlapping traits and are difficult to tease out. Is sociopathy in the current DSM?

AFAIK, psychopathy and sociopathy are still considered as 'traits' in some research/comparison circles and many instruments still measure them as such; however, from a clinical/diagnostic standpoint, they fall under Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) in the Personality Disorders section of the DSM-V, while psychopathy is recognized as a "specifier" under ASPD.

There are indeed many overlapping facets among various disorders and their sub-types, and there remains much disagreement within the field regarding classification systems and their utility.

And DJ Jackson for that matter. A picture is worth a thousand words...

djjackson1.jpg

The fuck kind of mean muggin' is this? Who the hell doesn't smile during a belt promotion, especially the proffessor?
Nobody smilies when taking a pic with his most evil henchmen. DJ was literally a wanted fugitive (pleading down rape to a lesser charge) when training at TLI.

Back