is leandro the p4p king atm?

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
id say so some may say bruno but man he can win in 4 major divisions he just won the heavy weight division at pan ams his passing is amazing id love to see him without a gi though id love to see how he mods his passing and open guard without grips.

id say so some may say bruno but man he can win in 4 major divisions he just won the heavy weight division at pan ams his passing is amazing id love to see him without a gi though id love to see how he mods his passing and open guard without grips.
he had a no-gi match with jake shields, was fun although i think consensus was Lo did not do as well as expected, or maybe people underestimated jake.

P4P it's probably still Rafa Mendes.

I personally think Lucas Lepri is in the conversation with Rafa.

I personally think Lucas Lepri is in the conversation with Rafa.

I prefer Lepri's game, but I don't think he's shown the kind of sustained dominance Rafa has over the last few years. Rafa hasn't lost since 2013 in the ADCC finals to Cobrinha (according to his record on BJJ Heroes anyway).

Lo is such a "rules fighter" it gets annoying at times. His match against Matheus Diniz in the semis was particularly hard to watch-- he "won" 2-0 for a temporary guard pull to sweep that Dinis immediately countered. No points for Dinis because Lo rolled out of bounds as he was being swept. Lo stalled most of the match on the feet, was down 3 advantages at the end, and almost got his guard passed twice. Lots of stalling in the finals against Tanner Rice also.

Rafa Mendes in terms of consistency and legacy, Buchecha in terms of dominance IMO

Lo is such a "rules fighter" it gets annoying at times. His match against Matheus Diniz in the semis was particularly hard to watch-- he "won" 2-0 for a temporary guard pull to sweep that Dinis immediately countered. No points for Dinis because Lo rolled out of bounds as he was being swept. Lo stalled most of the match on the feet, was down 3 advantages at the end, and almost got his guard passed twice. Lots of stalling in the finals against Tanner Rice also.
This. I'm a huge fan of Lo, but after watching his matches yesterday I was not impressed. During his match with Diniz he would just stop rolling to fix his belt, even though the ref didn't stop the action. I was hoping Diniz would just go for a blast double while Lo was disengaged. He stalled like a MFer too.

Stop the presses! Can someone send a telegram to Leandro fucking Lo and tell him inverted vortex is not impressed with his double gold performance at the second toughest jiu jitsu tournament in the world? He's got a lot of work to do!

This. I'm a huge fan of Lo, but after watching his matches yesterday I was not impressed. During his match with Diniz he would just stop rolling to fix his belt, even though the ref didn't stop the action. I was hoping Diniz would just go for a blast double while Lo was disengaged. He stalled like a MFer too.

Wins double gold at Pans and this asshole is not impressed... lol

Stop the presses! Can someone send a telegram to Leandro fucking Lo and tell him inverted vortex is not impressed with his double gold performance at the second toughest jiu jitsu tournament in the world? He's got a lot of work to do!

Lo lost in the first round of the Five Grappling tournament the week before. I think inverted vortex's point, as is mine, is that Lo is obviously great but it's hard to start throwing around gilded plaudits when he's such a points fighter, so gi-only, and with a very low submission rate.

I also don't think he's looked nearly as good at the heavier weight class.

Not to mention that this is a grappling forum, so it seems a little odd to chastise anyone for offering and opinion on grappling.

He's in that conversation nowadays, no question. On a related tangent, I was very impressed by Meregali against Lo. Podium your first year at BB? Bodes well for the future.

I prefer Lepri's game, but I don't think he's shown the kind of sustained dominance Rafa has over the last few years. Rafa hasn't lost since 2013 in the ADCC finals to Cobrinha (according to his record on BJJ Heroes anyway).
And 2013 was just a bad year for him in general (by his standards.) Got silver at Worlds and ADCC instead of gold, and it was the first year of adjusting to owning and operating an academy, full time. He has 2 three-peats at Worlds, with 2013 being that off-year. Given that his off year is still better than what 99.9% of the population could ever dream of, I agree that his dominance is hard to match.

Also, not only has he had sustained dominance, but he gets better and better, and continues to innovate his own game and spread the knowledge. You see him doing things like winning the Worlds with all cross collar chokes from the back in 2014. Or going to Japan in 2015 and winning with all armbars on the same arm, and you start to think he's not satisfied with just winning but rather how he wins.

I don't know how much more he has in the tank. I assume he will do worlds this year. I hope he does one more adcc too. I love his no-gi style and miss seeing it in action. If he retires today he's a legend forever.

And 2013 was just a bad year for him in general (by his standards.) Got silver at Worlds and ADCC instead of gold, and it was the first year of adjusting to owning and operating an academy, full time. He has 2 three-peats at Worlds, with 2013 being that off-year. Given that his off year is still better than what 99.9% of the population could ever dream of, I agree that his dominance is hard to match.

Also, not only has he had sustained dominance, but he gets better and better, and continues to innovate his own game and spread the knowledge. You see him doing things like winning the Worlds with all cross collar chokes from the back in 2014. Or going to Japan in 2015 and winning with all armbars on the same arm, and you start to think he's not satisfied with just winning but rather how he wins.

I don't know how much more he has in the tank. I assume he will do worlds this year. I hope he does one more adcc too. I love his no-gi style and miss seeing it in action. If he retires today he's a legend forever.

He's the best featherweight ever, and in a division that saw Cobrinha and Royler Gracie competing, that's saying something.

I totally agree with mataleaos, Rafa is hardly beatable p4p, it's not only this incredible win streak but the dominance and the ability to always tweak his game and adapt to new challengers that feels amazing in such an unique way.

LEandro winning new weight class and absolute at the next worlds would be quite an extroardinary feat tho... Bernardo beat him soundly the last times they faced, but with his new weight and Rodolfo/ Buchecha (?) out all might be different..

Lepri looks noticeably better this year and last year. Before, he was winning with his guard passing, but now you see him really dominating opponents and finishing in all facets. The announcers were perceptively pointing out how Marcio Andre had a damned if you do/damned if you don't sense of uncertainty in his final match against Lepri.

Back