is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way in hell that you're going 100% with a guy who outweighs you by 100 pounds if you're of similar skill levels.

I mean, if our instructor says - "100%" I go 100% and if this guy is much bigger than me and he is not complete idiot he will probably realize that if he'll go 60-70% on me it will be the same thing if I'll go 100% on him ...
Yeah, in my previous post it might sounded like exaggeration, but we do go 100% time after time (of course we use boxing gloves and shin protections)... And the spars we have are very similar if not identical to MT spars...

So why not go train MT with a real Muay Thai instructor ? :icon_lol:
First of all read my previous post... I don't want to repeat myself, but - my KM instructor is also MT instructor in the same school... Second, (shit I have to repeat myself all the way) since my school is mostly based on BJJ we do a lot of ground work in KM also... Do MT fighter do any ground work at all? I guess not...

First of all read my previous post... I don't want to repeat myself, but - my KM instructor is also MT instructor in the same school... Second, (shit I have to repeat myself all the way) since my school is mostly based on BJJ we do a lot of ground work in KM also... Do MT fighter do any ground work at all? I guess not...

Your writing style is very hard to follow.

Barut,
What's not clear?

Your first post could have better organized. It's not unimaginable that someone would have trouble understanding the very points that you later criticized Kellogg's for not noticing.

Enjoy KM.

Question to everyone:
When you first learned a technique did you drill over and over again to develop a skillset?

For example: Jiu-jitsu

Wouldn't say mma is ineffective in self defense situations. if your mean mma as in the mma seen of tv then that's correct. some schools teach mma that's it's not sport related at all. those places are few and not in high demand but their out there. i don't think there is a martial art in existence that's effective against guns. unless it teaches you how to dodge bullets

Wouldn't say mma is ineffective in self defense situations. if your mean mma as in the mma seen of tv then that's correct. some schools teach mma that's it's not sport related at all. those places are few and not in high demand but their out there. i don't think there is a martial art in existence that's effective against guns. unless it teaches you how to dodge bullets

Matrix-Fu FTW

Really though its all in HOW you train, if you train for realism then yes Krav Maga would do fine.

Heh. Strangely enough...

If you can, check out the Fight Science episode titled "Special Ops." One of the special ops guys they had on there was Amir Perets, a former Israeli spec ops operator who is now a Krav Maga instructor at the Krav Maga Worldwide National Training Center in LA.

He demonstrates one of the Krav Maga gun defenses on the show and they explain a little about how it works. You might find it interesting.

As for MMA being ineffective for self-defense, I wouldn't say that at all. But MMA schools, even if they teach "dirty tactics," tend not to teach situational defense, such as multiple opponents, being blindsided in a club full of people, getting attacked with a weapon while walking through a crowd, etc. Krav Maga teaches all of this.

In a real combat on the street, people become animals. And does everything like biting,hitting, kicking,eyepoking and whatever. Its the human surviving instinct.

well this is what they're training a lot of the cops in these days. at least out here. and cops are always been sued for use of exessive force. i would assume it works perfectly against person of average strength and average fighting skills, just not sure about someone who's at an amatuer level skill wise, like a lot of black belts out there, and experinced boxers. the weapon take aways might be worth learning if you know you'll be in situation where you will have a gun pulled on you a lot in close quarters.

This is the problem you guys keep ignoring in my posts. I am saying that my experiences were with the national training center in LA, Sherman Oaks, and Rancho Cucamonga (this 3rd one was VERY McDojoish) but what Im saying is I have been to the "high quality" Krav gyms and they are still very amateur and sloppy. Even the instructors themselves are not so great. I agree with the guy who said Krav is fake fighting for chicks, tiny fuckers, and let us not forget fat guys. I liked the stuff at the time because I had no further martial arts experience then TKD and Karate as a kid. I didnt realize I was wasting my time til I went to an MMA gym. I trained one month at an MMA gym and then moved to the gym Im at now cause I moved to a new house in a different area. I even had 2 friends who started with me around the same time. One still trains in Krav last I heard.

Oh one more point I wanna make. Scratching, biting, eye poking are things that people naturally do in street fights with no training at all. You cant label this Krav Maga.

No, I didn't ignore the fact that you've taken Krav at the Sherman Oaks location or the fact that you visited the National Training Center in LA. Did you actually take any classes at the National Training Center? Because I've trained with Darren Levine, John Whitman, Amir Perets, and Wade Allen, all of which teach classes at the NTC, and none of them teach any snap kicks or fancy bullshit like you've mentioned that you experienced.

I think what you're missing is that Krav Maga cannot be compared to fight sports like Muay Thai because they are two completely different things. As such, they attract two different types of people.

Muay Thai attracts people who want to fight; Krav Maga attracts people who don't. Those attracted to Muay Thai are generally already in better shape and more physically gifted than those that are attracted to Krav Maga.

When you go to a beginners class of Krav Maga, it's going to look very sloppy, just as a class full of Muay Thai beginners is going to look sloppy. However, because the average fitness level of Krav Maga newbies is lower than that of Muay Thai newbies, the Muay Thai class is going to look better.

However, if you watch experienced Krav Maga students train, they should move and perform techniques at a high level. If not, the instructor sucks. Straight up.

Look, I'm not saying that all KM schools are good. Hell, I'm not even saying that most KM schools are good. What I'm saying is that the Krav Maga system itself is a very good reality-based self-defense system.

To quote Bas Rutten, it's "MMA for the street."

Oh one more point I wanna make. Scratching, biting, eye poking are things that people naturally do in street fights with no training at all. You cant label this Krav Maga.

Oh, yeah. Forgot to address this point:

Punching and kicking are also things that people naturally do in street fights with no training at all. Does that mean that people that don't train these things are good at them? Of course not.

In Krav Maga, while you don't train biting and scratching, you do train eye poking and kicking to the groin, as well as other "dirty tactics" such as fish hooks. And just as high level Thai boxers are experts at kicking the legs, high level Kravists are experts at kicking to the groin.

Sort of a funny story: I went to a seminar put on by John Whitman at the headquarters of a large Taekwondo McDojo organization. Now, most of the students that this organization teaches are crappy fighters. This organization is probably where the term "McDojo" came from, actually. The instructors are pretty decent martial artists, though. A few of them are starters in the World Combat League and at least one has extensive MMA experience (he fought Genki Sudo several years ago).

Anyway, Mr. Whitman was asked why Krav Maga emphasized the groin kick, as it was difficult to kick someone in the groin. In answer, he said that he would like to spar the best 5 fighters at the seminar. The head of the McDojo organization selected his best five fighters based on their experience.

Well, the first one came out and threw a couple fancy kicks to gauge the distance. Whitman moved back a few steps and circled away. Then he feinted forward and the Taekwondo fighter immediately tried a spinning backkick. Whitman dropped down low with his hands on the floor in a sort of round sweep motion and kicked the guy straight in the nuts. Needless to say, even though he had groin protection on, that sparring match was over.

So, the next fighter steps up. This one is obviously wise to the situation and keeps his feet closer together. He starts throwing tentative round kicks to the legs with an occasional front kick to the body. Whitman takes the kicks to his front leg, occasionally throwing a jab or straight right into the guy's face. On one particular round kick, Whitman comes forward fast with a blitz of punches. The taekwondo fighter jumps back and throws a high round kick...and gets kicked straight in the nuts. Two up, two down.

Long story short, Mr. Whitman proceeded to kick each of these black belts in the jewels even though each one knew it was coming. The joke that was going around was that Mr. Whitman had ball-seeking feet.

Finally my main point is... why Krav?

Simple answer: Krav Maga was designed for reality-based self defense. That's the reason why.

Those other martial arts are excellent martial arts, many of which I either actively train in or have trained in the past, but they were not designed to deal with real life attack scenarios. They were designed to be used competitively against a similarly-trained fighter in a ring or cage.

Some people have no desire to ever step foot in a ring or cage and are looking for something that will help them deal with a mugger or two. That's what Krav specializes in.

Well what do we know so far? Krav maga people steadfastly stick by their arts honor and reputation. Much the same as found with other systems of martial arts. Its all revolving around philosophy, your particular outlook on the world and the concepts you hold as fact in your own psyche.

Some people are prone towards martial arts like Aikido because it suits their personality much better than saying a traditionally hard style of Karate. Once you've put so much time into a specific skillset, often times it will be difficult to accept differing opinions on the effectiveness of the style in which you've spent untold amounts of time training in. Your philosophy, for better or worse, can be as equally true as the opposing side who has their own reasons for believing what they like. Whose to say who is right, and who is wrong? Again, it all comes back to you as the individual. Make up your own mind, if your not satisfied move on until you are.

If you're happy, who cares what other thinks? Its only when you have doubts yourself that their opinion starts to creep in and bother you.

Oh, yeah. Forgot to address this point:

Punching and kicking are also things that people naturally do in street fights with no training at all. Does that mean that people that don't train these things are good at them? Of course not....

....Long story short, Mr. Whitman proceeded to kick each of these black belts in the jewels even though each one knew it was coming. The joke that was going around was that Mr. Whitman had ball-seeking feet.

Hey Whitman, long time no see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back