is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self defense classes will help but useless against someone who knows a thing about fighting, competition is what lets you see where your at and what you need to work on no self defense art does that.

I don't know how a Krav Maga practitioner would do in a real fight but besides the ground techniques it lacks a lot of footwork and range.

Krav Maga *is* what works in a real fight. You use a bag, a phone, a brick, a knife, a chair, an iPhone, and you kick someone in the balls, poke his eye out with a pencil etc. - compared to Krav Maga, MMA is just competition stuff where almost everything you would encounter in a real fight is banned.

Also, in a real fight there is no ref, and you can tap all you want, it doesn't do shit.

I don't know how a Krav Maga practitioner would do in a real fight but besides the ground techniques it lacks a lot of footwork and range.

Krav Maga is not a separate martial art, like karate, judo, krav maga etc., but a way in which you apply stuff. Krav Maga is what you get when you give a muay thai fighter a beer bottle or a screwdriver.

When you kick someone in the balls and then whack him on the head with a beer bottle, and you do it all in a very quick and brutal manner fueled by adrenaline, that's Krav Maga way of doing things. In a Japanese-like lingo, it's "beer-bottle-do".

KM is not a striking art, is not a ground art, it's a street art.

As a layer on top of a striking/ground art background it is worthwhile for potential real life situations such as: surprise attacks/mugging/weapons/multiple attackers/disadvantaged etc. lots of good stuff in it.

Its good to be aware of "dirty" moves, but the aren't some magic bullet or instant fight enders. They are most likely to piss off a trained fighter than hurt him badly.

Those kind of moves can't be trained at higher level of contact or resistance, leaving you without the most important element in martial arts training.

Krav Maga on its own lacks an effective delivery system, and I would be rather kicked in the groin by a KM practitioner then a Muay Thai guy.

krav maga is a scam and is a waste of time. Krav maga is not an art form or a discipline. The only thing that is consistent with krav maga is its use of groin kicks. Eye gouging, groin kicking and all that bullshit isn't rocket science. Pretty sure little school girls know how to pull the hair, scratch and kick the groin.

You want to know how to strike? You go to a boxing/muay thai gym
You want to know how to grapple and learn to do chokes/submission? go to a BJJ gym
You want to learn now to combine the two? Go to both gyms or find an MMA gym.

Krav maga tries to take things from boxing, bjj, wrestling, yet it doesn't focus on either discipline. So in the end, you don't know how to properly strike, your submissions and your wrestling is shit and you just wasted your time and money.

It's just wanna-be street fighter/self defense scam. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that 9/10, a pro boxer, mma fighter, grappler will easily take out a guy that's been doing krav maga his whole life.

krav maga is a scam and is a waste of time. Krav maga is not an art form or a discipline. The only thing that is consistent with krav maga is its use of groin kicks. Eye gouging, groin kicking and all that bullshit isn't rocket science. Pretty sure little school girls know how to pull the hair, scratch and kick the groin.

It's just wanna-be street fighter/self defense scam. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that 9/10, a pro boxer, mma fighter, grappler will easily take out a guy that's been doing krav maga his whole life.

I haven't done much research on Krav Maga, or actually seen a KM training session... so yeah, grain of salt time... but I'm relatively positive that Krav Maga does NOT teach how you to fight a pro boxer, or an mma fighter, or a grappler.

Krav Maga trains you how to fight against street thugs, how to deal with people who may be armed, how to react when a person comes at you swinging wild. So while a guy who teachers KM couldn't handle a boxer or a grappler, he would deal with your average street thug better than a boxer or a grappler.

The idea is, 99% of the time, the guy who attacks you on the street is crazy or desperate. But mostly untrained.

Now, the idea of whether someone can truly be taught to act appropriately in a street scenario by repeated actions and pseudo-realistic sparring is debatable. But saying "A KM GUY WOULD BE OBLITERATED BY A BOXER" is absolutely besides the point. Someone should go into boxing if he wants to learn to beat a boxer.

So basically they are training for the lowest common denominator: desperate, untrained street thug. Why should you learn to fight against untrained people, when good martial arts prepare you to take on other competent fighters?

Also, the idea that your attacker would be that desperate untrained guy is very dangerous.

To be effective Krav has to be taught in the way Bas Rutten does it as his gym, a piece of the puzzle. At his gym, he offers krav along with striking, and grappling...this is what the founder of krav said to do (he was a professional boxer who said everybody should take boxing along with krav).

Krav Maga has been bastardized. Much like other fighting styles that are easily exploitable.

I always think of KM as one of those arts people just make up as they go along.

In terms of using a martial art for self defense, I believe that Krav Magra is one of the best if not the best. If you are learning it to compete in MMA tournaments, there are better things you could learn because of the restrictions of MMA fighting and because of not that much ground work in Krav Magra.

In terms of using a martial art for self defense, I believe that Krav Magra is one of the best if not the best. If you are learning it to compete in MMA tournaments, there are better things you could learn because of the restrictions of MMA fighting and because of not that much ground work in Krav Magra.

Cheick Kongo uses Krav Maga.

I haven't done much research on Krav Maga, or actually seen a KM training session... so yeah, grain of salt time... but I'm relatively positive that Krav Maga does NOT teach how you to fight a pro boxer, or an mma fighter, or a grappler.

Krav Maga trains you how to fight against street thugs, how to deal with people who may be armed, how to react when a person comes at you swinging wild. So while a guy who teachers KM couldn't handle a boxer or a grappler, he would deal with your average street thug better than a boxer or a grappler.

The idea is, 99% of the time, the guy who attacks you on the street is crazy or desperate. But mostly untrained.

Now, the idea of whether someone can truly be taught to act appropriately in a street scenario by repeated actions and pseudo-realistic sparring is debatable. But saying "A KM GUY WOULD BE OBLITERATED BY A BOXER" is absolutely besides the point. Someone should go into boxing if he wants to learn to beat a boxer.

Have you seen the training sessions? The training obviously doesn't prepare you to face a real life situation, simply because there is hardly any resistance from your sparring partners. They let you perform these krav maga tactics on them. In a real street fight, there will be wild, fast punches from every direction and stumbling around and the krav maga guy simply won't have the experience to fight a real opponent who IS resisting and IS actually trying to knock the shit out of you. They aren't ready for a full contact match up.

In addition, if a boxer can obliterate a krav maga guy, then technically he would easily obliterate the street thug, correct? Therefore, boxing is a much better form of self defense for a street scenario.

Furthermore, I think the people that train in krav are just lazy and don't wan to train in a real sport. Because lets face it, boxing/bjj training isn't easy. S&C, endurance, etc. are vital in these sports and aren't easy things to accomplish. Also, in a competitive sports like boxing or bjj, you have to face other trained opponents which will be difficult and you risk getting hurt.

But in krav, you don't have to do all that hard training because the entire time you tell yourself, "oh well the people i'll be fighting won't be trained anyways, so i'll easily take them on". Krav maga is great because your training partner isn't resisting and they easily let you perform all these submissions. Makes you feel powerful.

This video says it all.

Keep a look out for 00:15 seconds in, where he hits the guy with a rolled up magazine. Shit is deadly for sure.

The point is, what is shown in this video isn't realistic. Much like aikido. Not full contact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back