Is Khabib's inability to finish fights bothering you?

You cannot possibly compare Abel Trujillo to Jon Fitch though, right?

Georges' level of competition is way higher. At the rate Khabib is going he is going to finish his career with more decisions than GSP ever did and even now its close. GSP fought in 15 title fights, meaning he was fighting a top guy every single fight for years. Khabib has fought very few top guys and is already about to pass Georges as the decision king. I mean you gotta realize, who has Khabib fought? He has only finished 4 times in 10 fights and he hasn't even fought the top guys of the division.

Look at the LW Top 15, how many of these guys has Khabib fought?

1 Conor McGregor
2 Tony Ferguson
3 Eddie Alvarez
4 Dustin Poirier
5 Kevin Lee
6 Edson Barboza
7 Justin Gaethje
8 Nate Diaz (Never fought at LW)
9 Michael Chiesa
10 Al Iaquinta
11 James Vick
12 Anthony Pettis
13 Alexander Hernandez
14 Paul Felder
15 Olivier Aubin-Mercier

He submitted TRT Vitor, that's no normal Middleweight.

Of his 17 UFC fights he finished 11, and for those he didn't finish he still battered.

LOL, gotta love the MW statements the inevitably arise when talking about Bones. These "Middleweights" were former Light Heavyweight Champions.

It would be one thing if he was mostly laying on guys ala GSP, but he's mauling them (or trying to maul them) ala Caín vs JDS 2.

In fact if you don't appreciate the CTE that Khabib is doling out, you're not really a just bleed fan imo

Stop your lies, or your ignorance, whichever applies. Georges was under the old rule set and some of his 50-45's would be scored 50-43's under the new rules.

Khabib has finished 16 of 26 for almost the same finishing rate and has battered those others as well though, so I'm not really seeing why TS would consider him that much different than Jones.

Mostly because Jones was the youngest champion in history and was finishing former world champions, whereas, Khabib has a very padded record at this point.

I think its more that you need to sprint, to use a large burst of energy to finish someone and if it doesn't go the way you planned, you may gas out and the momentum could swing the other way.

I prefer killers like Fedor and Wand but I understand the GSP side of the story.

this isn't true.

Roy Nelson finished Kimbo without using a large burst of energy because he understands the rules. you don't have to concuss people, you only have to put them in a position where they no longer can intelligently defend themselves, and once that happens the fight is over.

ironically, GSP finished BJ Penn using a crucifix also. it's not about damage, it's about your opponent's ability to stop you from causing it, no matter how large or how small the damage is, if you can feed them a steady supply of damage, and they are in a position where they can do nothing, then the fight is over.

People are discounting that at the level Khabib is fighting, all of his opponents are high level and ranked. Some time these fights don't end in 3 seconds. Also taking into consideration an degree of caution are exercise on both sides. One simple mistake and its back to the line with years of waiting for another shot.

On the flip side, Khabib is out there throwing strikes, getting TD, and GNPing. So it's not like a complete blowover like Tyrone, where fans are using phones to illuminate lights

Have you actually looked at Khabib's record and who he has fought?

I have two thoughts on this subject. First, I believe it's remarkably difficult to finish an opponent who's really only trying to survive to the final bell. GSP, with his top control dominance put a lot of his opponents into survival mode very early in their fights. Khabib is much the same.
Second, I personally hate to see a fighter pull a brain fart to lose a fight they were winning handily. Thus, I don't have as much of a problem with a fighter "playing it safe" as long as they are fighting intelligently. For instance, the oft-rehashed Condit versus Diaz fight. Condit *might* have been able to win a dogfight, but with an interim title on the line, he fought intelligently and, in my opinion, won fairly easily.

Where did you come up pussy? On the streets I came from up finish rate was all that mattered.
Montréal. The beautiful thing about this website is everyone gets an opinion so you care more about finish rate. :)

The fights got considerably more exciting though, Robbie Lawler put on 4 title fight performances for the ages, absolute wars.
I don't take issue with anyone thinking that.

The point i was addressing is this lack of recognition that when guys fight other elite guys it is much more difficult to get a finish. You have @MMA_Fan up thread trying to compare Khabibs finish record built mostly on no names to GSP's including his run of top 5 level talent. He says that is fair as you must consider Khabibs level at the time.

Well if you do that for GSP as well he finished 100% of his fights in his pre UFC no name fight days. And he was a finishing machine even in the UFC until he got to that part of his fight curve where it was endless top guys.

LW and WW in particular always have such a strong, proven and tested top 5 that any time truly any of them could be a champ. Many other divisions don't have that depth and once the top guys lose it takes a while to build new talent. The top five at LW and WW are typically elite.

That is something Pride learned early and why they gave top guys one or two CAN fights a year to build their highlight reel. You look at Fedor, for example, and only look at his fights against the top elite guys at HW and remove the fluff and his finish rate drops significantly. I would not question his status as anyone's GOAT based on him not finishing his top opponents.

I say it is on the losing guy to do something. If they can't, that is more telling about Khabib's opponent than khabib.

Exactly what I’ve always said about Kos vs Daley. If Daley didn’t like being on his back. Maybe he should have done something about it during the fight. But noooooo. The cry baby douche nozzle punches Kos from behind after the fight was over. Which of course got him shit canned for life by Dana.

The object of fighting is to impose your will on the other guy. And it’s his fucking problem to do something about it. And it works both ways. So fucking deal with it, right ?

And no I’m not bothered. Winning is the only thing that matters. As long as it’s done within the rules. I don’t care how a win is obtained. Sometimes it might be a little boring. But it’s usually way better than boring.

Being on the ground can be a real chess game. Alot of people can’t appreciate high level grappling. But that’s mostly because they don’t even know what they’re watching. And it’s casual noobs that tend to whine about those kinds of fights. But we all know those assholes are fans of Convict. They are in no way shape or form actual fans of the sport of mma.

So fuck them.

He gets the important part right, a win at the end of the fight. Not much else matters.

TS, your obsession with khabib is bothering.

That's one reason I don't like him. I also don't like his inability to consistently show up and his boring ass fighting style. I don't know why anybody would be a fan of his

Khabib’s lack of ability doesn’t bother me at all. He just does not possess striking ability or a knowledge of submissions in order to finish a fight. It’s not his fault.

Khabib’s lack of ability doesn’t bother me at all. He just does not possess striking ability or a knowledge of submissions in order to finish a fight. It’s not his fault.
His knowledge of subs is actually way above most of his peers. He just doesn't attempt all that many since his best subs come from scrambles or bottom. If he attempted more subs then his finish rate would be closer to 60-70%. Hopefully that's something that he changes.

Back