Is Kavanagh/SBG Ireland all gimmick?

You only notice them because they get undeserved shots.

That Charlie Ward got a shot in the UFC is laughable, the fact he got a second shot after his first performance speaks volumes about where the promotion is currently at.

Artem Lobov main event

<{hughesimpress}>

Strabanimal's a beastly young fighter, Conor's p4p. Gunni's already shown he's legit. A loss won't change that. Then they have a bunch of low to mid-tier fighters like most gyms.

Kav comes off as a open-minded coach willing to try new stuff, which is more than most coaches will open up their horizons, but of course he gets praise through Conor's talents.

Their top fighter is MMA's greatest of all time.

Their second top fighter is taking over Bellator.

Even the dude with the "sparring partner" role is known more than 95% of the UFC roster, with a couple of wins in the top org.

Hell, they even have a guy with ZERO MMA fights, yet everyone knows who he is and are massively rustled by him.

SBG isn't doing too bad after all.

Well..if we consider the UFC as the cream of the crop, top of the line, the absolute best, then NONE of those guys count. at all.
How many UFC champs has any of the given houses produced?
And there are several diff gyms, Tristar, Blackzillians, TAM, AKA, Unao, WinkJonhs Gym. There are several more...
Yes, that is true.
But like I said, this is cyclical.
Most gyms have a couple top fighters and the rest are middle of the pack to good fighters.
SBG is not an exception.
They are a (relatively) new gym, but they have less competition (being in Europe), so I believe they have a bright future ahead of them, as long as they keep it nice.

Why is there even an expectation that SBG should be producing elite talent? They are in a country with a population of 4 million, with a huge housing problem, huge heroin problem and not the best genetic makeup for sports. They are never going to be ATT or Jackson-Wink.
SBG is NOT based in Ireland, there are gyms around the world. It's home is in Portland, OR.

Yes, that is true.
But like I said, this is cyclical.
Most gyms have a couple top fighters and the rest are middle of the pack to good fighters.
SBG is not an exception.
They are a (relatively) new gym, but they have less competition (being in Europe), so I believe they have a bright future ahead of them, as long as they keep it nice.

SBG is not new. The head, Matt Thornton, is OG. Started in 1992....

Most of the team truly is hype and riding on Conor's coat tails. "Here to take over..." yeah right!

Those gyms are some of the biggest gyms in the world. SBG is a small gym in a country with only 4 million people. SBG is basically a small regional gym who has put multiple guys in the ufc
Yea but they're getting a cut of Conor's paycheck, so that also kinda makes them the richest MMA gym in the world.

Unfortunately, money can't transform you into a good coach/trainer.

I remember IrishEdmond missing out on Artem's fight because he had books to sell in Australia or something. Shows you the level of commitment at that place.

I think artem is doing well personally. Went 5 rounds with top 5 fighter. Stays in fight even with his physical limitations, especially his short reach. The hammer is tough as nails.

SBG is not new. The head, Matt Thornton, is OG. Started in 1992....
I meant new in the spotlight.

My reasoning is that when this happens (i.e. having fighters raising to the top, with some becoming champions, etc), other top fighters (and aspiring top fighters) tend to migrate to successful gyms, thus making it soar even higher.

Back