Is Kavanagh/SBG Ireland all gimmick?

Still better than 95 percent of MMA gyms around the world. They are a gym set in a country where MMA is new and have UFC caliber fighters. Meanwhile detractors kick a heavy bag in their parents basement.

Like Artem. They are just living off of Mcgregor's success. Lets see where their at in a couple of years.

Fighters sometimes lose. Not everyone is a top-5 fighter.

They do pretty well for a gym that was unheard of three years ago.

Ever since Conor hit the scene, his coaching staff (especially Kavanagh) have been made to look like these new and innovative coaches who are changing the game.

However, it looks like Kavanagh isn't as good as the media makes him out to be.

Last night SBG Ireland had a shit night going 0-3.

1. Charlie Ward got knocked the fuck out
2. Neil Seery got smoked
3. Gunnar Nelson got KTFO

Artem Lobov is doing terrible, Cathal Pendred retired on a losing skid, Holohan retired after getting choked by Smolka.

I don't know if they have any other fighters, I know obviously Conor is doing well. James Gallagher is also rising up, need to see him fight some names however.

Seems like their team is just riding on the backs of Conor more and more.
Gallagher did his last camp outside of Ireland, with Gunner, not at SBG. Gunner was open after the fight saying he found a new home at his new camp.

Still better than 95 percent of MMA gyms around the world. They are a gym set in a country where MMA is new and have UFC caliber fighters. Meanwhile detractors kick a heavy bag in their parents basement.

LOL 95% If it wasn't for Mcgrgeor no one would know about SBG, their coaches, or their fighters.

BAMMA and Cage Warriors are the minor leagues of the minor leagues.

Gallagher did his last camp outside of Ireland, with Gunner, not at SBG. Gunner was open after the fight saying he found a new home at his new camp.

Except he used SBG fighters for training and sparring and used the coaches. So outside of geography, what really changed?

Fighters sometimes lose. Not everyone is a top-5 fighter.

They do pretty well for a gym that was unheard of three years ago.

Living off the success of their cash cow and not by their own merit is hardly considered doing "well".

If not for Conor, all of them except for Gunni wouldn't have been in the UFC. They would have been relegated to the regional circuit

Kavanagh is working with some skinny little bitches man give him a break.

At one point, Hayastan MMA was invading UFC. You had guys like Karo and Manny in the UFC as well as Sevak and Sako who became BFFs with Josh Koscheck. Also, Karen Darbedeyan who was doing great in WEC and Harout Terzyan was kicking ass in pancrase and was like the Armenian version of Cain but with Judo skills.

BRO!

Living off the success of their cash cow and not by their own merit is hardly considered doing "well".

If not for Conor, all of them except for Gunni wouldn't have been in the UFC. They would have been relegated to the regional circuit

Aside from Conor & Gunni, has SBG lost all of their fights in the UFC?

I kind of disagree with you.
1) Conor is obviously their biggest star, but not the only champion they have.
Luka Jelčić - Final Fight Championship (Lightweight Champion: 2016)
John Phillips - BAMMA (Middleweight Champion: 2016)
Frans Mlambo - IMMAF World Championships (Featherweight Champion: 2015)
Cathal Pendred - Cage Warriors Fighting Championship (Welterweight Champion: 2013)

They also have about 10 guys with the UFC.
Conor McGregor obviously
Artem Lobov who just main evented and had a FotN with Cub Swanson
Gunnar Nelson who just main evented for the UFC.

They also have several more guys that are signed with Bellator.
All in all, it is a very respectable stable of fighters.

And while it is not a Greg&Wink type of gym yet, let us not shit on them for that.
Most gyms in US are not that big either.

they kind of remind me of Nova Uniao.
They had ALdo.
Then Barao
then Junior joined them (much later).

and now, who do they have that is at the top?
exactly!

As I said, they all had their top and their bottom. Conor will fall at some point. But more will rise.

I seriously have a hard time understanding why such a hate for them.
IMHO it is a breath of fresh air. New gyms opening up and becoming a top gym, bringing a lot of new names....
...what do you want? Always the same people from the same gym time and again???

lighten up! Change is good!

Well..if we consider the UFC as the cream of the crop, top of the line, the absolute best, then NONE of those guys count. at all.
How many UFC champs has any of the given houses produced?
And there are several diff gyms, Tristar, Blackzillians, TAM, AKA, Unao, WinkJonhs Gym. There are several more...

if your gym only produces one outstanding fighter and the rest are all bums then yeah...its pretty much a mcdojo.

I do also give some credit to Cathal Pendred. At one point he was on a 4 fight win streak in the UFC, he also has a pretty stellar 17-4 record I believe.

I do also give some credit to Cathal Pendred. At one point he was on a 4 fight win streak in the UFC, he also has a pretty stellar 17-4 record I believe.

Given easy match ups and guys you never heard of.

Anyone who was halfway decent he folded faster than a cheap lawn chair

According to TS all gyms are frauds full of Edmonds
Even Edmond at some point was doing great. How can you underestimate the fucking coaching experts by hiding yourself behind the monitor?

Except he used SBG fighters for training and sparring and used the coaches. So outside of geography, what really changed?
What changed? Well Nelson still teaches and trains at Mjolinr, so not much has changed for him being he's never been ano actual SBG product, nor is SBG where he does the majority of his fight camp. Change? Well, Danaher going out to Iceland is prob a huge change for Nelson, instead of heading to NY to do so. Also odd he hasn't used Renzo his last two camps.. could it have to do with Jake moving to NY and going to Renzos often? Axel and Rolf arent part of SBG, nor is Vidar. So most of Nelsons coaches, beside Kavanaugh and Karl, arent SBG, but from his gym and other gyms.

But what I speak of orginally, was Gunnar referring to Gallagher in thinking that James will be doing his next fight camp in Iceland too. As far as sparring partners recently, beside the known, I have no clue who Mjolinr has, and have no clue who trains at SBG Ireland these days full time beside the known, and who trains at SBG Manchester full time.

All 3 of those fighters retire, 2 by illness or disease, what are the chances of that happening? and they only have a "winning" record is because they were spoon fed great match ups. Cathal had a gift decision too, didn't he?
He did have a dodgy decision, so take that away if you want...

Still has a winning record.

Back