Is Kavanagh/SBG Ireland all gimmick?

They do very well in regional promotions and international ammy MMA championships but they are drawing from a small talent pool. And they don't recruit pro fighters from abroad to live in dorms etc. Look at TriStar, AKA, ATT - most of their fighters started their careers elsewhere and moved there. SBG still pay their bills by collecting gym fees and teaching jiu-jitsu to hobbyists for self defense, teaching fitness classes etc. They're doing very well all round.

Ever since Conor hit the scene, his coaching staff (especially Kavanagh) have been made to look like these new and innovative coaches who are changing the game.

However, it looks like Kavanagh isn't as good as the media makes him out to be.

Last night SBG Ireland had a shit night going 0-3.

1. Charlie Ward got knocked the fuck out
2. Neil Seery got smoked
3. Gunnar Nelson got KTFO

Artem Lobov is doing terrible, Cathal Pendred retired on a losing skid, Holohan retired after getting choked by Smolka.

I don't know if they have any other fighters, I know obviously Conor is doing well. James Gallagher is also rising up, need to see him fight some names however.

Seems like their team is just riding on the backs of Conor more and more.

I think so. If you look at Rondas Coach..she was the only one that came out of there.

giphy.gif

Geeze....well..okay:
mcgregor-diaz-column1.jpg

I think you are reading too much into it.
At some point, tristar was doing great. Then they fell.
At some point, Jackson Wink was doing great. Then they fell.
At some point, AKA was doing great. Then they fell.
At some point, Blackzillians was doing great. Then they fell.

Every single gym had their low point and their high times.
Some fighter comes out, starts winning and the morale goes up and all of a sudden, that gym has killers.

But then someone loses, someone gets injured, morale takes a hit and they lose.

It is not always like that, but that's the highs and lows of some great gyms in MMA.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Those houses you named have had MULTIPLE strong fighters.
Connors house has...conor...who hasnt even defended his belt yet.
The house is very weak and im shocked that youd even put Winks Gym or Tristar in the same league with Conors gym.

Threads like these are the worst. Fighters are allowed to lose, people.

Were not talking single fighters.
Were talking fighter houses.
Different subject. Take note of the title dude...

Last edited:
Those gyms are some of the biggest gyms in the world. SBG is a small gym in a country with only 4 million people. SBG is basically a small regional gym who has put multiple guys in the ufc

Now it's a small gym in a small country...

Even though you guys are proud to include Makwan and Gunni when it's convienent and they're winning.

But when SBG starts getting exposed it's a small gym in a small country. Even though Kavanagh gets fighters from other countries lol

I don't think SBG are some super camp that will have fighters from round the world knocking their doors.

McGregor is a great natural talent and they have worked well with him, I don't think they dragged him down though, as someone said above, small talent pool population wise and less money resource wise to ship in expensive coaching staff/sparring partners.

Ever since Conor hit the scene, his coaching staff (especially Kavanagh) have been made to look like these new and innovative coaches who are changing the game.

However, it looks like Kavanagh isn't as good as the media makes him out to be.

2. Neil Seery got smoked
3. Gunnar Nelson got KTFO

Artem Lobov is doing terrible, Cathal Pendred retired on a losing skid, Holohan retired after getting choked by Smolka.

I don't know if they have any other fighters, I know obviously Conor is doing well. James Gallagher is also rising up, need to see him fight some names however.

Seems like their team is just riding on the backs of Conor more and more.
Ive literary never heard anyone on Sherdog say "kavanagh is the best coach or most revolutionary coach". Not once. Its a strawman argument that Conor haters use when their attacking Kavanagh and anyone associated with Conor. You might want to gets your facts straight too before you start threads. Gunnar Nelson spends most of his time training with other coaches and Neil Seery was with Team Ryano not SBG. Im a Conor fan but have never claimed Kavanagh is a superior coach. But I respect him. If you consider hes literarly the first BJJ blackbelt in Ireland and has literally built up MMA in the country from zero interest 10 years ago to where it is today you have to give some respect. Unlike America that has a huge population of athletes with wrestling and other martial arts backgrounds to draw from....John Kavanagh has had to start from scratch with most of the guys who walk into his gym. And not many were walking into his gym until Conor exploded. The fact Conor walked in with some boxig and kickboxing experience helped a lot. Because MMA is so young in Ireland....its really not fair to judge John's body of work for another 5 or 10 years from now. Thats when John will have had a chance to work with a lot of young kids who walked into his gym because of the "Conor effect". The guys like Charlie Ward and Artem Lobov walked into his gym in their 20s with zero martial.arts training.

Ok, go on....

Explain what's funny.

They've only put on fighters in the UFC because of Mcgregor's influence.

Artem shouldn't even been in in TUF, he lost to Rezi Baghdad.

Cathal and Paddy couldn't hang (Paddy was going to be cut anyways) in the UFC, both of them showed their worth.

Aisling, probably would have gotten cut sooner than later.

Makwan, has some talent, but over relies on his wrestling and grappling and is no threat on the feet.

2. Neil Seery got smoked
3. Gunnar Nelson got KTFO.

Neil Seery isnt SBG, just because hes Irish doesnt make him SBG
And Gunnar trains out of Mjolnir Gym in Iceland (His own gym), he hasnt been "SBG" for years.

so no, Charlie Ward was the only one from SBG who lost (Im pretty sure Cav cornered someone else not from SBG-I but i cant remenber who)

Face Plant Gym and Johnmund Karverdyan = fraud

Lol it's amazing, when they had a couple of wins, Kavanagh was a visionary and Ido with his "movement training". Kavanagh whose amongst the best in MMA trainers, but all of Mcgregor's losses from subs, Gunni keeps getting KTFO, Ward gets thrown to the mat in a clinch and gets KTFO.

Now the new Savior of SBG is some 20 yr old punk whose been spoon fed cans with no ground game.

And who can forget Dildo Danis, the wunderkind of submission grappling, but really is a master of cheap Mcgregor impersonations.

Neil Seery isnt SBG, just because hes Irish doesnt make him SBG
And Gunnar trains out of Mjolnir Gym in Iceland (His own gym), he hasnt been "SBG" for years.

so no, Charlie Ward was the only one from SBG who lost (Im pretty sure Cav cornered someone else not from SBG-I but i cant remenber who)

Except SBG reps him, He reps SBG. He brings in SBG fighters for his camps and still gets instructions and advice from Kavanagh

Except SBG reps him, He reps SBG. He brings in SBG fighters for his camps and still gets instructions and advice from Kavanagh

theres tons of fighters that rep various gyms and coaches, theres loads of fighters that cross train at multiple gyms. but gunnar's primary gym is not sbg and hasnt been for several years.

one of the Molnir fighters brought Joanna Calderwood over to iceland to train, does that mean that Gunny is also a Tristar fighter?

They've only put on fighters in the UFC because of Mcgregor's influence.

Artem shouldn't even been in in TUF, he lost to Rezi Baghdad.

Cathal and Paddy couldn't hang (Paddy was going to be cut anyways) in the UFC, both of them showed their worth.

Aisling, probably would have gotten cut sooner than later.

Makwan, has some talent, but over relies on his wrestling and grappling and is no threat on the feet.
Artem - Sure he got his 2nd chance because of Conor, but then he went on to get the most amount of KO's in TUF history making it to the final, recently he gave the #5 ranked FW a tough fight too, so I'd say he's earned his place, it should also be noted that he has one of the shortest reaches in MMA and has no right to be competing at all with his frame, he's amassed a 5-4 winning record in the UFC (including TUF fights)

Cathal - He amassed a 4-2 winning record in the UFC, not bad for a rugby player who came into MMA later in life. Reached #30 in the WW rankings.

Paddy - He amassed a 3-2 winning record in the UFC, pretty good for a guy with no real athleticism to call on. Reached #11 in the FLW rankings.

Aisling - She amassed a 2-1 winning record in the UFC, probably the least athletic of all the SBG fighters, yet under John Kavahagh she has been ranked as the #2 FLW, #3 SW & #5 BW .

Makwan- He's amassed a 3-1 winning record in the UFC and looks to have the talent to go places, although it seems modleing pays better as he doesn't seem to interested in MMA.

So, it seems that all the undeserving fighters you brought up, who only got where they are due to McGregors influence all have winning records in the UFC....?

Artem - Sure he got his 2nd chance because of Conor, but then he went on to get the most amount of KO's in TUF history making it to the final, recently he gave the #5 ranked FW a tough fight too, so I'd say he's earned his place, it should also be noted that he has one of the shortest reaches in MMA and has no right to be competing at all with his frame, he's amassed a 5-4 winning record in the UFC (including TUF fights)

Cathal - He amassed a 4-2 winning record in the UFC, not bad for a rugby player who came into MMA later in life. Reached #30 in the WW rankings.

Paddy - He amassed a 3-2 winning record in the UFC, pretty good for a guy with no real athleticism to call on. Reached #11 in the FLW rankings.

Aisling - She amassed a 2-1 winning record in the UFC, probably the least athletic of all the SBG fighters, yet under John Kavahagh she has been ranked as the #2 FLW, #3 SW & #5 BW .

Makwan- He's amassed a 3-1 winning record in the UFC and looks to have the talent to go places, although it seems modleing pays better as he doesn't seem to interested in MMA.

So, it seems that all the undeserving fighters you brought up, who only got where they are due to McGregors influence all have winning records in the UFC....?

Cmon son

Back