Is K-1 back in the game?

vanguard86

Adi! Ahoy!
Banned
Reaction score
Is the Japanese kick boxing promotion K-1 back in the Kickboxing game?

Do you guys think it can reclaim it'd former glory?

I watched their last event and surely I'm entertained,

Yuta Kubo won the GP.

Can it compete with Glory, Enfusion, Super Kombat, Respect, Lion Fights, WFL and Krush?

What do you guys think?

K-1 is such a legendary brand in the kickboxing community, that I think whoever owns the IP (FEG?) will eventually sell it to someone who wants to build kickboxing as a spectator sport using the UFC model.

Wouldn't even be surprised if Coker drops the Bellator Kickboxing branding and buys the K-1 trademarks, given his history with the brand.

It's nice that K-1 Japan puts their fights on YouTube for the hardcore fans around the world that really want to see the tournaments and super fights, but with no English commentary team and focusing pretty much exclusively on television in the Japanese market, they are never going to reach the heights internationally that the brand had years ago under the previous regime.

And there is no way that Viacom is purchasing the K-1 trademarks and pusuing that legendary brand even if they are available. According to Coker, Viacom wants just four Bellator Kickboxing cards per year and they already have a combat sports brand in Bellator that costs them nothing extra.

Is the Japanese kick boxing promotion K-1 back in the Kickboxing game?

Do you guys think it can reclaim it'd former glory?

I watched their last event and surely I'm entertained,

Yuta Kubo won the GP.

Can it compete with Glory, Enfusion, Super Kombat, Respect, Lion Fights, WFL and Krush?

What do you guys think?

K-1 Japan has been running good events for a few years but it will be imposible to revive the golden days of K-1. they focus on lighter weight classes now and don't have massive tv deals in Japan or money flowing from questionable sources.

it co-promotes or owns Krush (I don't know for sure), already competes with Glory (in terms of quality) and is better than Enfusion, Super Kombat and WFL IMO. the best kickboxing org right now is Kunlun; Lion Fights is muay thai at the bottom level.

K-1 is such a legendary brand in the kickboxing community, that I think whoever owns the IP (FEG?) will eventually sell it to someone who wants to build kickboxing as a spectator sport using the UFC model.

Wouldn't even be surprised if Coker drops the Bellator Kickboxing branding and buys the K-1 trademarks, given his history with the brand.
you mean Strike Force I'm pretty sure that's what ESPN use to list his events as along with the old K-1 events where they'd show Sanda, Full Contact, watered down Muay Thai. I think the only Muay Thai fight they showed under full rules was Kit Cope vs Alex Gong I 'm pretty sure Duane Ludwig vs Alex Gongwas modded rules. That was damn near 20 years ago though the Krush guys running the new K-1 are doing a decent job and at lower weights are able to get a decent fan base around the Japanese fighters. There is no need to fuck it up by bringing back HW Kickboxing and freakshow fights Glory is already doing that.

k1_hw.jpg

YES! And EL BOUNI will be the next big thing!
This guy is on another level

K-1 seems to do good number on Ameba or whatever web streaming service they use. I wonder how much money they could possibly make off it.

Last edited:
Back