Is Jumping Rope good for MMA?

SocialJusticeFighter

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
Is it good for MMA as well or just boxing? My MMA gym doesn't do any jump roping but it's something I'm looking to incorporate on my free time if it is a good cardio exercise. Do I just need a regular jump rope or is there a special kind of rope I need to buy? Are there specific exercises I should do or just simply jump the rope for as long as I can?

Thanks

NOOOOOO, oh dear no. Jumping rope is BAD for mma. Shin splint among other things. Have you ever seen anyone run out of breathe doing jump ropes?

Just jump rope and play around with it. It's good.

NOOOOOO, oh dear no. Jumping rope is BAD for mma. Shin splint among other things. Have you ever seen anyone run out of breathe doing jump ropes?
just looking for some advice man you don't have to be an ass

just looking for some advice man you don't have to be an ass
No I'm serious about shin splint. And a bit of the running out of breathe while jumping rope. Takes me forever to run out of breathe jumping rope. My arms would give in before my legs before my lungs. If I sprint a block or 2, I'd be out of breathe right away.

I got terrible shin splints while playing basketball in college from jumping rope.

I basically lost my entire sophomore season and tried to redshirt.

No I'm serious about shin splint. And a bit of the running out of breathe while jumping rope. Takes me forever to run out of breathe jumping rope. My arms would give in before my legs before my lungs. If I sprint a block or 2, I'd be out of breathe right away.
Come on. Shin splints? That can happen with any repeated jumping or running. There's absolutely nothing wrong with jumping rope.

Jumping rope is good for a lot of things. You can get a cardio workout yes, other than that you build up calf endurance, work on rhytm, work on being light on your feet and having a more forceful step.

You can definitely get out of breath as well, just up the tempo if it's too easy for you or mix it up.

It noticeably improved my footwork. If you can, jump rope on some place that's padded, little less wear and tear on ya. I also share Sano's philosophy, if you don't get a cardio workout with the rope, then you're just not doin it right.

I love jumping rope. It's a great cardio workout and it's really helpful for footwork and coordination. You don't need anything special as far as a rope... pvc/plastic ropes are easier for beginners, wire speed ropes are faster if you want to crank it up but you can get a good-enough one of either for $10-20.

Last edited:
Of course it's good! Great cardio workout, great quickness and timing training and will give your footwork a huge step forward if you cross train footwork patterns with the kind of rhythm, balance and speed you learn from the rope.

Back in the day I use to rope in bare feet on hardwood floors and never got shin splints. The thing you have to do is take your time advancing and religiously stretch your feet, shins and calves...Full disclosure I'm getting all the shreds of cartilage scraped out of my left hip soon and a cap and socket installed in my early 40's so who the fuck knows anymore. But I think that's from breakfalling for 15 years not the 9 years of TKD/KB training where I roped a lot back in my 20's.

People in mma rely on different strengths. I doubt Brock lesnar did a lot of rope jumping, but I bet Frankie Edgar and Dillasnake do

I love jumping rope. It's a great cardio workout and it's really helpful for footwork and coordination. You don't need anything special as far as a rope... pvc/plastic ropes are easier for beginners, wire speed ropes are faster if you want to crank it up but you can get a good one of either for $10-20.

I would avoid the cheap plastic speed ropes though, the ones with no metal bearings at each end

Jumping rope is absolutely essentially in my opinion. Not just for conditioning, but in developing the explosive push off the ground critical to various strikes and grappling moves.

Never got shin splints once

I dedicated 15 minutes straight to skipping rope before eve before everu practice

Why would you get shin splints if you are on the balls of your feet. You are much more likely to get shin splints from running especially since a lot of people run landing on their heels. Of course you can get out of breath jumping rope. Ever heard of double unders? They'll get you out of breath and you can sprint whilst jumping rope. If you aren't getting out of breath then you aren't jumping rope fast enough.

Yes. do it.

if you can find one of these type (the rope is heavy not the handles) you're conditioning will be off the charts.

Jump rope doesn't work your bicep hard enough.
All you should be doing for MMA is training your guns

Yes. Martial artists should add jump rope to their training IMO

Back