Is Julian Jackson the hardest puncher in boxing?

No.

No one know's who is the actual hardest puncher but you have a good idea of contenders, remember Julian fought Gerald McClellan and lost twice who was also a hard puncher, however it was more Gerald was just the better boxer not harder puncher but they were almost comparable.

The problem with your question is your asking if a Light MW / MW is the hardest puncher in boxing history so I can unequivocally tell you no he is not.

That would belong to George Foreman, Earnie Shaver's, Mike Tyson, these guys KO HW's, Jackson would have to get a punch on the end of the chin to KO a trained HW.

Now if you had said "P4P" we could of had a conversation ....................

Yes.. but he was almost blind. God gives with one hand, takes away with the other.

Yes.. but he was almost blind. God gives with one hand, takes away with the other.

So Julian Jackson hits harder than Tyson and George Foreman ................ ok then.

Hardest puncher per se, no.
Hardest puncher pound for pound, yes.

Your post denotes current tense. And he wasn't among the big boys. So no.

Did he even hit as hard as Gerald McClellan? I would say that these 2 probably hit as hard as any MWs, but there's no way of proving it. I've heard Matthew Macklin say that golovkins jab is like a straight right from other MWs. He has to get a mention as well as that is almost unbelievable

Overall probably Ernie Shavers. P4P It's got to be Jackson.

Hardest p4p puncher that WE KNOW about? Perhaps. But because there is no unified organizing body in boxing, so many great fighters and big punchers are totally lost to history.

As an example, Sugar Ray Robinson is now everyones consensus P4P all time boxer, but during his day (1940s) most boxing insiders thought Charley Burley was better than him, in fact Jake LaMotta and Sugar Ray Robinson, and Billy Conn all ducked Burley for years. Burley is perhaps the single most ducked boxer in the sport's history. Was Sugar Ray better than Burley? We'll never know.

So there are probably many fighters in history that punched harder than Julian Jackson that we likely never heard about.

Last edited:
I need to do a video on this topic. I was talking to mike mccallum the other day and asked him about their fight. he said that he got hit the first time and thought "this guy isn't nothing." again he got hit "He has no power." he said he got hit again and his back leg started quivering from the power which you can see in the fight. He said he guesses he hit so hard he didn't even realize it, but his body was shaking from it.

Last edited:
Hardest p4p puncher that WE KNOW about? Perhaps. But because there is no unified organizing body in boxing, so many great fighters and big punchers are totally lost to history.

As an example, Sugar Ray Robinson is now everyones consensus P4P all time boxer, but during his day (1940s) most boxing insiders thought Charley Burley was better than him, in fact Jake LaMotta and Sugar Ray Robinson, and Billy Conn all ducked Burley for years. Burley is perhaps the single most ducked boxer in the sport's history. Was Sugar Ray better than Burley? We'll never know.

So there are probably many fighters in history that punched harder than Julian Jackson that we likely never heard about.

Ezzard Charles didn't duck Burley, and beat him twice.

And to answer original question, he'd in the pound 4 pound mix. As for overall? Foreman was on late nite tv getting interviewed, asked who was hardest puncher he had faced. He spat out a couple names, Ron Lyle, Gerry C, uhhh I forget who else, then the host cuts in and asks, "did you ever fight Earnie Shavers" and Foreman gets a huge laugh emphatically replying "No! THANK GOD, NO!".

Foreman respected Shavers' power without even feeling it. That pretty much did it for me and that whole debate.

Anyway, maybe he was just playing the legend up, but always sold it for me.

There's a post somewhere from a guy who sparred a bunch of heavies including foreman and he said Wlad hit the hardest. Of course that was old Foreman.

And to answer original question, he'd in the pound 4 pound mix. As for overall? Foreman was on late nite tv getting interviewed, asked who was hardest puncher he had faced. He spat out a couple names, Ron Lyle, Gerry C, uhhh I forget who else, then the host cuts in and asks, "did you ever fight Earnie Shavers" and Foreman gets a huge laugh emphatically replying "No! THANK GOD, NO!".

Foreman respected Shavers' power without even feeling it. That pretty much did it for me and that whole debate.

basically everyone who fought shavers said he was the hardest puncher they fought

Burley was a WW/MW. Ezzard Charles was way way bigger, (eventually ending up at HW). If you look at Burleys losses its always to guys that today would be several weight classes larger. Research the black murderers row, its a group of fighters that were so dangerous they could only fight each other and/or contenders in higher weight classes. Their peers wanted no piece of them.

Btw, Burley beat Archie Moore even though Archie was a light heavy. He knocked him down 4 times. Archie Moore outweighed him by 20 lbs.

basically everyone who fought shavers said he was the hardest puncher they fought

It goes to show how good Ali's chin was. He got clipped right on the chin CLEAN with several powerful straight rights from Shavers. Never went down!

Burley was a WW/MW. Ezzard Charles was way way bigger, (eventually ending up at HW). If you look at Burleys losses its always to guys that today would be several weight classes larger. Research the black murderers row, its a group of fighters that were so dangerous they could only fight each other and/or contenders in higher weight classes. Their peers wanted no piece of them.

Btw, Burley beat Archie Moore even though Archie was a light heavy. He knocked him down 4 times. Archie Moore outweighed him by 20 lbs.

I know the murderers row, and how no one would fight them, so they fought each other. But, Ezzard was 20 and 161 and 160 for the fights, and Burley 155 and 151 respectively, so if Burley could go to LHW, and beat Moore when Moore was 20lbs heavier, young Ezzard at MW should be easy work, right? All I'm saying is not every name out there avoided murderers row, and not all of them lost bad either. Who do you really think would have won, Robinson or Burley?

I know the murderers row, and how no one would fight them, so they fought each other. But, Ezzard was 20 and 161 and 160 for the fights, and Burley 155 and 151 respectively, so if Burley could go to LHW, and beat Moore when Moore was 20lbs heavier, young Ezzard at MW should be easy work, right? All I'm saying is not every name out there avoided murderers row, and not all of them lost bad either. Who do you really think would have won, Robinson or Burley?
I have no idea, styles make fights. Theres a reason Robinson avoided him.

Back