Is judo really suboptimal for MMA or are there just more wrestlers?

Judo is best in real world, slam a person to the ground with the force of the earth, cuz they're wearing clothing, which the gi resembles.

octagon mat where ppl are practically naked? yea no use.
Absolutely ridiculous assessment

clothes or not, an experienced judoka will still throw your ass around the room.

Came in to say this. I've done judo for years, and it relies VERY heavily on the gi. A large portion of the throws, traditionally taught, can't be used without the gi, or at least have to be heavily modified.
obviously like anything It would require a certain level of adaptation. You're obviously not going Into a high level mixed martial arts fight straight from the gym.

Fedor and Khabib are primarely ( combat) sambists.
Sambo is better than Judo. Combat Sambo is really powerfull.
Much more techniques allowed, more throws, subs and leglocks!
I wouldn't say sambo is better than judo. It's a different art. Very aggressive

they compliment each other very well

I don't think It's appropriate to say one Is better than the other though.

Pure judo beats pure wrestling. Look at Olympic medalist wrestlers, like Karam Gaber Ibrahim, Istvan Majoros, Katsuhiko Nagata, Eldar Kurtanidze who tried MMA. Then look at how Yoshida, Akiyama, Takimoto, Nastula, Nakamura etc did right away without much cross-training. And look beyond their records too.

As for a base for further MMA training, I don't know. Wrestling benefits from being no-gi, judo benefits from submissions. Both train hard and physically.

Sure but if we use Yoel Romero, Henry Cejudo and Sara Mcmann who either have or will fight for the title, wrestling > judo.

I wouldn't say sambo is better than judo. It's a different art. Very aggressive

they compliment each other very well

I don't think It's appropriate to say one Is better than the other though.

In cross-competitions where everything is allowed, sambists beat judokas pretty convicingly.

It doesn't matter if you are a gold medalist in judo (Ishii) if your style that made you successful (throws) in judo does not translate to MMA. A more well-rounded skill set in grappling is also needed. And that's not even addressing how a judoka would transition to picking up striking arts.

the thing about wrestling is that they can get a lot of takedowns without going to the clinch making them easier to set up

And so does judo.

Sport judo doesn't permit lower body takedowns, but it doesn't mean they aren't trained in the dojo.

It seems a fairly common belief that judo is inferior to wrestling as an MMA base but is it necessarily accurate or does the much greater number of high level wrestlers that enter MMA compared to high level judokas just make it seem that way? We've seen some accomplished MMA wrestlers get thrown around by judokas - Shields by Lombard and Tate by Ronda, and Fedor took a good part of his grappling game from judo. Of course wrestling would have some advantages like more focus on shot takedowns, but is judo truly as inferior as some claim or might it see greater success if more top judokas started coming over?

1) Cage favors wrestler, as in pinning opponent against the fence.
2) UFC is American based, hence more wrestlers.
3) Judo is gi based. Clothing allows for traction to grab a hold of and to throw. In MMA, you wear just a swim trunk.

Case in point: Randy Couture. Excels in the cage, using his wrestling, clinching and dirty boxing against the fence. Won UFC belt, went over to Japan, got subbed by Igor and Enson, sent packing back to America where the rules and the cage are easier on the wrestler. Then went on to win both LHW and HW belts in UFC.

Judo is best in real world, slam a person to the ground with the force of the earth, cuz they're wearing clothing, which the gi resembles.

octagon mat where ppl are practically naked? yea no use.

If this girl used this guy's shirt, it would have ripped. I'm still waiting for this sort of seionage -- or worse -- in MMA.

The most judokas have a very hard time using judo on someone who doesn't want to grapple then back. Most the techniques are about using your opponents strength and weight against them, that's very hard to do against someone who only wants to pull away

Most wrestlers can hit takedowns from further out and get people through sudden powerful movement

Back