Is Jose Aldo the most prestigious win in MMA?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Kind of looking through the all time great fighters in MMA history.....it looks like beating Aldo is probably the most prestigious win in MMA currently (and ever).

Arguments against the others
1. A win against Fedor was huge (in his prime) can be argued as one of the most valuable wins in MMA history. Beating him now aint really that special.

2. GSP has losses to Hughes, Serra, arguable split dec loss over LW Penn (not really but the fight was close), and consensus that he probably should have lost against Hendricks

3. Anderson Silva in his prime had multiple losses to relatively unknown competition. Also showed many times that he was beatable against high level wrestlers. Everyone felt like there was a blue print to beat him, but there wasn't anyone who could execute it. All the other all time greats never had an obvious blue print or route to beat them

4. Jon Jones would easily be the most valuable win in MMA history if someone could do it. DC's getting older and I doubt he can get it done. If he ever losses, it'll be an unbelievably huge upset. But since he hasn't technically lost, he doesn't count on this list.

Before Max and Conor, there was no available blue print on how to beat him. A high level wrestler couldn't take him down (Edgar, Mendes), there wasn't anyone at BW, FW, or LW who could out strike him, there was no one with enough submission knowledge to submit him since he was a world class black belt. Never was in serious danger, hurt, badly rocked in a fight prior to McGregor or Holloway. McGregor beating Aldo is in my opinion the greatest win in MMA history based on the method and the fighter that Aldo is. Max beat him also, but it's always easier to beat an all time great once someone else proves that they're beatable.

Probably, when talking about GOAT it's either him or GSP imo.

Beating GSP nowadays just wouldn't have the same value though.

Jones would be there too but he popped for ped's in his prime which just leaves a huge question mark.

In b4 Conor haters say he was never good and a can

P0QFEvK.gif

<{silvanormal}><{silvanormal}><{silvanormal}>

Well, I guess but at the same time not really

Demetrious Johnson, Jon Jones, GSP are all ahead of Aldo so a win over MM or Jones would trump it- GSP probably not nowadays as hes unranked.

The weidman win over Silva beats it too.. then again Anderson gave away that KO on a platter, and was like 38

Demetrious Johnson, Jon Jones, GSP are all ahead of Aldo so a win over MM or Jones would trump it- GSP probably not nowadays as hes unranked.

Well to be fair to TS he's asking about wins that have actually happened, not hypothetical ones.

The weidman win over Silva beats it too.. then again Anderson gave away that KO on a platter, and was like 38

I think McGregor's win over Aldo was certainly more impressive given the speed and nature of it. Weidman's win over Silva is questionable for the reasons you've said. But I agree that the Silva KO was certainly just as shocking as Aldo.

no one really gave a FUCKING SHIT about aldo till mcgregor sold people on his value.

NO ONE.

beating Jones will be. Jones is still hands down the best MMA fighter we've ever seen imo. Regardless the excuses Shertards will make regarding his reach, drug tests, his competition etc.

Initially I balked that this suggestion but after reading you may be correct

Holloway deserves a ton of respect, he's the man.

Aldo gon get the runback tho.

You are wrong on that score buddy.
suck a dick, despite this accounts dating. i have been on mma underground and sherdog for 12 years. no one really gave a shit, noob.

I trained at MULTIPLE championship mma gyms accross the globe... no one ever talked about Aldo.

NO ONE.

Sorry hommie, suck my drunk dick.

How can it not be Jon Jones? No one has beaten the guy besides Hamils BS win.

You could have argued Also MAYBE before Connor wrecked him and his legacy.

Back