Is Jon Jones the best fighter we've ever seen

Jones is the best, agree?

• Total voters
Prime Aldo is up there with him as p4p one of the most well rounded fighters. Its a pity we never got to see Jones fight HW's. That would have told us a lot.

Jones was fighting in a weak division. WW and MW and LW are way tougher divisions.

Prime Fedor is the greatest and most skilled of all time. He would have beaten the shit out of Jones.

I'm a Jones hater, but I will give this my most unbiased answer.

No, and that isn't because I hate him.

To be the best you would have to distinguish yourself physically and skillfully, and I can name at the very least, 5 fighters if not 10 that fit the bill better than Jones. That is no knock to him though, as a fighter he is great, but I will explain why.

Fedor
GSP
MM
TJ
Frankie E
Aldo
Cruz
and I'll stop here.

These are just a few, now what do all these men have in common? Unlike Jones they are/were great everywhere the fight goes, and in every facet. The only thing stopping Jones from being on this list is his standup and size advantage.

His boxing if frustratingly atrocious, has no ability to use his length to damage fighters besides poking their eyes. It makes you wonder if he trains boxing at all. That is the clear weakness of his game, the inability to use his advantage fairly to damage opposition with jabs/straights from outside...and landing effective uppercuts from mid range. He is the mma version of Paul Williams...Lengthy fighter who can't use his length to save his ass.

Jones falls into the category of great fighters with one GLARING hole in their game.

Jones(boxing)
Anderson Silva(wrestling)
Cormier(Kickboxing)
Mousasi(wrestling)
etc...

That's not shitting on these fighters, it's a testament to their success given the hole they were able to overcome to win as much as they did.

As far as best fighters are concerned, Jones doesn't make the list.

Theres no such thing as ignoring the PED use.

Its like saying if Jones didn't have a 10 inch reach advantage, he wasn't 6'4. The guy relied on PED use. It cancels him out of any conversations of GOAT,etc. He's a cheat and should remain as such.

Ubereem in prime would beat the living shit out of Jones,

Jones cant be the best of all time, since Overeem cant be either cuz of the roids
ridiculous comment....

athletes perform better on PEDs; thats why they take them....

ubereem is likely a better version of econoreem, and jones on the sauce likely better than natty.....

drugs make them better, not worse....

Theres no such thing as ignoring the PED use.

Its like saying if Jones didn't have a 10 inch reach advantage, he wasn't 6'4. The guy relied on PED use. It cancels him out of any conversations of GOAT,etc. He's a cheat and should remain as such.

98%+ of pro athletes use peds....

i swear this is like the armstrong thing all over again.....

if PEDs disqualify you from being the best, then the best in the world is likely a KOTC mid-card freak athlete who will never see the top 20 in his career....

Not taking alleged PED use into account, Jon Jones is the greatest of all time thus far. No bones about it.... Pun intended.

istill think its fedor....10 years of undefeated dominance....7 years ranked #1 hw in the world....

Nope. Current Stipe is. Jon is fantastic but I really think a number of other HW's would murk him, if not give him an incredibly difficult fight. I think Jon is like Aldo and just matches up well with a certain type of fighter (shorter wrestlers) and did so in a time where his division was littered with them. As soon as he fought someone that was not a midget compared to him, he looked mortal - he stayed clear ofd HW for a good reason.
Wait Stipe?
The guy that got knockef out by, Stefan Struve? ??

No, he would get beaten easily by former legends if they met at similar weights.

Come on man, like he did Old Man Henderson?

Fedor was old and 6 years past his prime in 2011 when he lost to steroid guzzling TRT juicer Dan Handerson.

You think Hendo would beat a prime Fedor? If so then kill yourself, sir.

Come on man, like he did Old Man Henderson?
hendo is more skilled than hammill.....

if youre going to bring up fights where a slow depleted fedor was fighting 6 years passed his prime, i suppose its fair to bring up fights jones lost because he was too green to understand all the rules before his prime....

yes by a landslide. Anderson, Fedor and yes MM have a lot of reasons to choose them as well, but the names Jones has beaten and in this era to be so dominant against legends and legit best comp ever. gsp is NOT in the discussion please stop bringing him up.

imo, fedor and gsp are the only two names that belong in the discussion so far....just complete dominance.....

gsp was more into planning away from his opponents strengths.....fedor more about dominating them anywhere.....

gsps way was safer, but they are the two masters of imposing their will....

Fedor was old and 6 years past his prime in 2011 when he lost to steroid guzzling TRT juicer Dan Handerson.

You think Hendo would beat a prime Fedor? If so then kill yourself, sir.
Lmao
My Emotional arent we?
Well Fedor was losing a lot after leaving the organization with predetermined outcomes and referees with head sets.

Henderson was a powerful mw

if youre going to bring up fights where a slow depleted fedor was fighting 6 years passed his prime, i suppose its fair to bring up fights jones lost because he was too green to understand all the rules before his prime....

Hendo was a beast! No doubt!

But I dont see how these two fights are analogous

elbones_medium.jpg

0fb664243381d7bd4274493910599eb5.jpg

Any fighter could have a legacy like Jones if they ignore their conscience.

istill think its fedor....10 years of undefeated dominance....7 years ranked #1 hw in the world....

The only reason I didn’t go with Fedor is because the quality of opponents

Lmao
My Emotional arent we?
Well Fedor was losing a lot after leaving the organization with predetermined outcomes and referees with head sets.

Henderson was a powerful mw

Henderson was known as "Decision Dan" in Pride as a guy in his 30s before he got on the TRT and started knocking people out. That version of Dan Henderson wouldnt even sign the contract to fight a prime Fedor. The Fedor that Hendo fought was 6 years past his prime. Plain and simple.

Guys who struggle with Misaki arent KOing a prime Fedor.

FOH with this "powerful MW" bullshit, noob

full

Without a doubt, Jonathan Jones is the greatest mixed martial artist to ever compete so far.

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Back