Is Jon Jones beating his opponents at LHW with his skill or his size?

there is no argument there because if true then as others have pointed out Grove, Diabate, Gus, Struve and others would all dominate too.

What separates Jones is his ability to UTILIZE that body just as that is what separated the Fedor and Cain types. And what that is that allows them to utilize it is a high level of SKILL. It is only the skill that separates the top guys from all the rest. You can find guys with every body type in MMA and what separates the top guys from the bottom is the level of skill they can apply. that you want to believe it is simply a birth rate of body dimensions just shows how stupid you (and a few others) are.

most guys are dumb or lazy ... jesus :eek: mario b. could have been one of the soccer GOATS, but this guy was was sooo damn lazy ... he acutally didnt give a fuck lol. he just fucked bitches and did other stuff

skill. DC was a heavyweight and used to fighting guys way bigger than Jones and NO ONE has done that to DC before. cant simply call it size. his reach definitely plays a factor especially considering he learned to be so good on the inside where his reach would be a disadvantage against smaller opponents. But if you look at the laundry list of guys he's beaten badly, he legitimately outskills them all too. I dont think he's fought a single guy who I could say was "more skilled" equal? sure DC and Gus are definitely in his class, but better? I dont think so

Saying that he was exposed when he fought gus is stupid Gus gives literally everyone but Rumble a tough fight. You would have to say DC got exposed too cuz they went to war as well. as previously stated DC is used to fighting 260lb HW's so obviously thats not correct.

Jones beating DC is proof that being taller, bigger is not skill and you win due to size.

DC beating the HW he fought is proof that being taller, bigger is not an advantage and you can lose due to size.

Jones has adapted skills to fight were many lanky guys typically struggled in the past. His inside clinch game wrecks the more stocky grappler types when in the past getting to clinch and out muscling the lanky guys was a key to victory.

It is funny how people making this argument talk out of both sides of their mouth to do it. Jones beat DC not with skill but by being 'bigger' and yet DC beat how many 'bigger' HW's??

It is funny how people making this argument talk out of both sides of their mouth to do it. Jones beat DC not with skill but by being 'bigger' and yet DC beat how many 'bigger' HW's??

LOL this.

DC's whole thing is he was a small HW dominating bigger HW's.

He's beat up guys way bigger than Jon, including Gustaffson who has a very similar body type. But Jon beat him because he's bigger? LOL.

Jon is one of the smaller guys that DC has fought in his career.

weight is weight...how that weight is distributed is solely dependent on that person...dc is the way he is, cause of his lack of will power, when not fighting...if he ate correctly all year round, he could be ripped..but his appetite for kfc, won't allow for that.
Yes. The question still doesnt change though. Jon is built how he is. IS HIS SIZE the deciding factor between he and his opponent? We seen him look human fighting a guy his size in Gus. If he had not the frame he does nor the reach does he win all the fights he won?

People are so ignorant on this topic.

Never, NEVER has have a tall and lanky build been seen as an advantage in MMA. No one sees a Season of TUF and instantly picks the taller and lankier guys as the favorites.

The ideal build for MMA that has been the most successful has always been seen as the more stocky grapplers build. People feared for guys like Semmy when he fought Fedor.

Suddenly you get one (or two, Anderson Silva) who can break through to the highest level and that is because they have such a high level of skill that they are able to hold off the strengths of the other style while imposing their own.

No one can doubt if it was simply the build that brought success and skill was not the key factor then we should have had MMA dominated by tall lanky guys like Struve, Kendell Grove, Diabate, etc.

It's a confluence of factors, of which length is certainly one. Length doesn't equate solely to reach, but also to leverage. So why create a list of lengthy but lesser-skilled fighters to prove your point? Many of the lengthy fighters you identify had the moderate success they did due to their length and despite their lesser skill, which counters the point you are trying to make.

Ceterus parabus, a longer fighter will win. But ceterus isn't always parabus, so take caution when using examples.

So I ask a question, on an MMA forum...A thread that clearly is very divided throughout on opinions....Your opinion is what matters? Ok I got it, thats fair, discredit my knowledge all you want but I believe the purpose of the discussion was met. Still is being debated. SO sorry you dont approve of the thread. Conor vs Floyd is thread click away my friend

You seem to want a pass for asking stupid questions. It does not work that way. Ask a stupid question and expect to get ridiculed.

It is not my opinion to point out the basic fallacy of your thread and view. This thread is a troll thread and you know it. If not explain how if you believe Jones wins due to being 'bigger' as you say how DC then had the success he had at HW against everyone he fought who was 'bigger'?

Answer that question and expose your own stupidity here.

Yes. The question still doesnt change though. Jon is built how he is. IS HIS SIZE the deciding factor between he and his opponent? We seen him look human fighting a guy his size in Gus. If he had not the frame he does nor the reach does he win all the fights he won?

DC beat Gus but he couldn't beat Jones. Even though they have very similar body types.

This fact alone proves that its not just size that's making Jones win.

LOL this.

He's beat up guys way bigger than Jon, including Gustaffson who has a very similar body type. But Jon beat him because he's bigger? LOL.

So exceptions prove the rule?

Guess what, people have fallen from planes at 30,000 ft altitude, without parachutes or some other netting device, and lived .... so you figure that means that falling from great heights isn't dangerous?

So exceptions prove the rule?

Guess what, people have fallen from planes and lived .... so you figure that means that falling from great heights isn't dangerous?

What are you even on about mate?

You seem to want a pass for asking stupid questions. It does not work that way. Ask a stupid question and expect to get ridiculed.

It is not my opinion to point out the basic fallacy of your thread and view. This thread is a troll thread and you know it. If not explain how if you believe Jones wins due to being 'bigger' as you say how DC then had the success he had at HW against everyone he fought who was 'bigger'?

No offense, but your responses are no better than the question you are criticizing.

The contention that length is, ceterus parabus, an advantage != a shorter fighter cannot be successful. Are you familiar with multiple linear regression? Think of length as an independent variable.

DC beat Gus but he couldn't beat Jones. Even though they have very similar body types.

This fact alone proves that its not just size that's making Jones win.
Gus almost finished DC but the power isnt there that Jones has. He dropped DC with uppercuts as well, not a head kick

OK you make a good point. So why be A DICK about it? Im sure you can find better threads to spend your time on then.
Because I hate Jones and want to see him suffer a Ronda like end to his run and stupid troll threads like this (which people think they are doing to make Jones look bad) bring all sorts of people together to defend Jones ultimately to rebuff the idiocy presented.

The guys thinking they are trolling Jones and his fans actually do the most to bolster the arguments for his greatness and that makes me angry.

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Because I hate Jones and want to see him suffer a Ronda like end to his run and stupid troll threads like this (which people think they are doing to make Jones look bad) bring all sorts of people together to defend Jones ultimately to rebuff the idiocy presented.

The guys thinking they are trolling Jones and his fans actually do the most to bolster the arguments for his greatness and that makes me angry.

<JonesDXSuckIt>
7404998.jpg you boggle my mind

What are you even on about mate?

Maybe I misinterpreted your post.

In a later post you said "This fact alone proves that its not just size that's making Jones win." And I agree with this.

Gus almost finished DC but the power isnt there that Jones has. He dropped DC with uppercuts as well, not a head kick

What?

Listen here:
Gus and Jones are roughly the same size.

DC beat Gus but he never came close to beating Jon.

This literally proves that Jones is winning due to his skill, not his size, because Gus is the same fucking size as him and has not been nearly as successful.

LOL this.

most HWs are slow. anyway ... DCs HW run is overrated.

What?

Listen here:

This literally proves that Jones is winning due to his skill, not his size, because Gus is the same fucking size as him and has not been nearly as successful.

Gus would kill him this time, but fight wont happen anyway. its possible to win as a very "small" fighter (depends what sport .. boxing/soccer/mma etc.), but its hard, thats just my experience. as a defender in soccer for example, you have to be big (its a huge ++++), but there are still guys, who can mess with them ... cannavaro for example :eek: hes small, but he jumps like a fucking frog and is fast as fuck and hes also the first defender to receive the ballon d'or ... #skill

You are looking like the troll to be honest lol. Spending awful lots of time typing away on a troll thread

You mad at the world.

What?

Listen here:

Ok then its proven. You are no longer needed. :)

Back