is it worth learning how to fight southpaw

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
hey boxings my first art. started at 12, im almost 26 now, and a pro in mma, and bout to turn pro in boxing. i fight orthodox, and wrestle orthodox, but i feel id have alot more power if i could shoot southpaw and much stronger jab and hook. i jab and hook alot of lead hand. i have 15 years left fighting. is it worth trying to learn how to fight southpaw? i fight at a top level pro. i use to would say no to just get great at one stance, but i feel i need to learn both incase i get hurt, i need to switch what do you guys think? i feel it would work great when throwing a cross then switch mid punch then follow up with combos while moving to get something

Could you post a few of your fights so we could get a better idea if it's worth the effort?

all my fights were taken down sadly only one thats even up i shot in right after i threw my right hand so cant really go off that

all my fights were taken down sadly only one thats even up i shot in right after i threw my right hand so cant really go off that
that sucks man! How many fights have you had? Who took them down?

Grappling southpaw can be a pain in the arse, at least in my experience, if you're trying to go for anything other than a single it can be a little awkward. In sambo I often have to make a step to switch to orthodox, which isn't the worst thing in the world, it's just a pain

Sounds like you have identified some strengths you could utilize better from training some dedicated southpaw.

I always thought fighting ambidextrous gives you a bigger arsenal and more unpredictability so if it doesn't take away from your core regiment and your tried and true tools don't dull, than by all means.

Plus after your competing years (cough, cough) it's not like you wilt and die. There's still tons of training and lighter contact opportunities for development. you may wind up teaching or training the young turks and be able to pass that real world experience on.

thats a bummer man. Even your boxing fights?
your tellin me lol made me not wana believein submissions anymore but i just need to find some better details on my heel hook its a scary feeling when your balls deep on a reverse heel hook and the guys not tapping but if he was my size 40 pounds lighter im sure it would have snapped but still heel hooks are the way to beat bigger people

I dunno anything about training but if youve been training for 14 years, it seems like some of the lowest hanging high reward fruit left for you to pick and learn

your tellin me lol made me not wana believein submissions anymore but i just need to find some better details on my heel hook its a scary feeling when your balls deep on a reverse heel hook and the guys not tapping but if he was my size 40 pounds lighter im sure it would have snapped but still heel hooks are the way to beat bigger people
wat?

Wait a second, heelhooks don't work on people bigger than you?

Do it bro. Im lefty who fights orthodox and my jab is very good.

Theres no real drawback to learning how to fight from southpaw, especially when kicks are allowed. That said, you don't want Southpaw to be your takedown stance, if only because switching to it will cue your opponent that you want to take him down; you need takedown options from both stances.

What you can try and do from orthodox is chain into a double from a single so you can use your strong leg for the penetration step.

my boxing coach told me to do it but i dont like to half ass do things ill work on it i wont ever just come out southpaw but ill go southpaw during a combo to confuse the guy and to set up takedowns from my right stance tj dillashaw does this alot i think he has some of the best mix ups for takedowns in mma which really gave me the idea

hey boxings my first art. started at 12, im almost 26 now, and a pro in mma, and bout to turn pro in boxing. i fight orthodox, and wrestle orthodox, but i feel id have alot more power if i could shoot southpaw and much stronger jab and hook. i jab and hook alot of lead hand. i have 15 years left fighting. is it worth trying to learn how to fight southpaw? i fight at a top level pro. i use to would say no to just get great at one stance, but i feel i need to learn both incase i get hurt, i need to switch what do you guys think? i feel it would work great when throwing a cross then switch mid punch then follow up with combos while moving to get something

I dont know about mma, but in muay thai, most the top level guys can fight both stances. I think its very effective but you must be good at it, and comfortable. at worst, if you end up in southpaw for some reason you can fight your way out of it. at best, you can use it to create different openings and angles. I was forced to train southpaw for a while, i find it helped alot.

Back