is it worth it to get a weighted vest

razorhoof

White Belt
Reaction score
I found a 40 lb weighted vest for $100. I have been in kickboxing for 3 weeks, I go three times a week. Would wearing a weighted vest while shadowboxing and hitting the bag improve my speed and power? Am I better off leaving my strength training and cardio seperate from my bag and technique work? Thanx

Honestly I see a vest getting a little bit in the way. I mean doing cardio and stuff with a vest makes sense because of resistance but bag work and shadowboxing is mostly technique. Divide and conquer. Best way to improve.

I have a 40 lb vest and its great for sprinting or jogging, doing pushups and chin ups and stuff but.... i think it would get in the way if i used it when boxing but mayb urs fits better. i think i saw Anderson Silva training with one before. Another good workout is to jus put on the 40lb vest and put the treadmill on its steepest incline and just walk at about 3mph

I think they would be good for body weight exercises but I wouldn't run in one because of joint issues.

I think they would be good for body weight exercises but I wouldn't run in one because of joint issues.
What joints are you refering to your knees?? I put on 30 lbs in the last 3 months cuz i was injured should i not run now because its bad on my joints????

I see it only benefiting your calves. It doesn't provide rotational resistance, therefore it would pretty much feel the same in shadowboxing.

I train bjj gi & nogi and use a vest when I circuit train and kettlebell train and love it...

I have one. But i dont use it when training martial arts. I use it for dips, pull-ups, burpees, high jumps and things things like that.

I wouldn't use it when doing skill training as it will affect your timing. It's great for strength & conditioning though.

you sure about this? i heard that wrist and ankle weights are bad for your joints and thats why everybody uses the weighted vest? im PRETTY sure it cant be any worse than carrying a backpack around... anybody that knows a little more care to explain?

I read an article that claimed punching with weights would only condition you to punching with weights. As much as thats not refering to weighted vests i can imagine the same would apply in this case.

I read an article that claimed punching with weights would only condition you to punching with weights. As much as thats not refering to weighted vests i can imagine the same would apply in this case.

wearing a weighted vest for body weight exercises is not the same thing as punching with weights...

I bought one and use it while doing conditioning work. I like it for plyo or H.I.T.T training drills, and for footwork drills and jump roping. Tried to run in it a couple times and immediately my knees started aching, so i put a stop to that.

My opinion, if you got the extra $, it can be a novel training tool. But ya get the same basic results by just doing extra reps or going a couple extra minutes....... that is my take. It fatigues you faster, but doing a 4 minute round instead of a 3 min round does the same thing, as does doing 20 weighted push-ups with a vest, do 30 (or whatever gives you the same level of fatigue) without, same principle. In short, the only benefit i really have found is that it can cut down my workout time, but i am not sure that is necessarily a benefit?

wearing a weighted vest for body weight exercises is not the same thing as punching with weights...

You are correct. Punching with weights is not the same thing as wearing a weighted vest. Well done, heres a cookie.

You are correct. Punching with weights is not the same thing as wearing a weighted vest. Well done, heres a cookie.

what's with the attitude? i just wanted to point out that what you said is irrelevant. unless you were joking in your previous post...

I bought one and use it while doing conditioning work. I like it for plyo or H.I.T.T training drills, and for footwork drills and jump roping. Tried to run in it a couple times and immediately my knees started aching, so i put a stop to that.

My opinion, if you got the extra $, it can be a novel training tool. But ya get the same basic results by just doing extra reps or going a couple extra minutes....... that is my take. It fatigues you faster, but doing a 4 minute round instead of a 3 min round does the same thing, as does doing 20 weighted push-ups with a vest, do 30 (or whatever gives you the same level of fatigue) without, same principle. In short, the only benefit i really have found is that it can cut down my workout time, but i am not sure that is necessarily a benefit?

Yea, I got an Amazon gift card and thought the vest might be cool to have. I was just curious if anyone here got any quick monster gains by using one. I probably won't get it though. After reading a lot of reviews for them, it seems like most of them are uncomortable or start tearing after a while. damn! hard work, practice and sacrifice, is this the only way?

if you're just running with it, you could save a bunch of cash and just get a backpack with waist and chest clips on it and fill it with water jugs/sand. probably wouldn't be good if you're turning/jumping/dropping to the ground a lot, though.

what's with the attitude? i just wanted to point out that what you said is irrelevant. unless you were joking in your previous post...

You are correct what i said was irrelevant. I just gave you attitude because i didnt really read much in the thread. Often a bad move. Dont take this as an apology though, i assure you it isnt :D

You are correct what i said was irrelevant. I just gave you attitude because i didnt really read much in the thread. Often a bad move. Dont take this as an apology though, i assure you it isnt :D

LOL! I actually read this and could hear the British accent coming through the type! Bloody yanks are such wankers! :icon_chee

What joints are you refering to your knees?? I put on 30 lbs in the last 3 months cuz i was injured should i not run now because its bad on my joints????

You should definitely break back into running slowly. If you tried to go as hard as you can you would invariably end up with some running related injury. I guess the same is true for wearing the vest. You can get away with it but you should give it respect and build it up gradually. Common sense really.

When I started using my vest I started with only short runs to give my body a chance to get used it. I've never had joint problems from using it when running distances of up to 5 miles in a 40lb vest.

Back