is it true

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i heard marcelo and mendes bro dont show half guard because they both dont believe its a strong position in jiu jitsu

i know everyone has there own style due to body type or attributes ect but i find that crazy being half guard is a go to position for danger its easy to snag a leg than trying to pull any other guard esp from escaping mount or side.

you do have to know the game well but thats grappling in general being able to get completely under a guys base its hard for him to attack you and you have so much leverage to sweep to come up on top i think for top players that should be your paradise trying to hit that single

Marcelo Garcia shows halfguard all the time.

He just calls it X-guard tho.

Lol.
They probably know a thing are two but I'm sure they will pick something up by reading your post. Maybe make a video, post and we can send to them

I use half guard to get to the back, sweep, or get back to full guard. But what do I know?

both are great guys but theres a mssive roster of other guys who use it alot faria jeff glover ryan hall maia lepri

i think its a great position especially for wrestlers i think that should be a wrestles go to on bottom working up to that single then it turns into a part of there world

Mendes and Marcelo teach variants of half guard, they're both just against trying to play a traditional half guard game because it's so hard to maintain distance and so easy for the top guy to smash you and kill your activity. But as long as you have the knee in the way (Z or RDLR), you're fine and I'm pretty sure both schools utilize those positions.

As far as I can tell what's getting really popular is butterfly half, which makes a lot of sense as it gives you good entries into sweeps and leg locks while keeping your feet very safe. I play it a lot with good success.

One of marcelo's major passes starts from half guard. He calls it the over under pass (different from bernardo's).

I prefer half guard to full guard. But, as said- I prefer to either be controlling distance (Z guard) or about to enter deep half. I try to avoid the middle ground. I do like playing butterfly half as well.

I just got the AOJ online membership. So far they have shown half guard, but only how to transition to full guard. No subs or sweeps yet. But I have barely scratched the surface of the library.

But as long as you have the knee in the way (Z or RDLR), you're fine and I'm pretty sure both schools utilize those positions.

The Mendes bros don't use the Z guard at all and openly consider that it sucks.
The also teach that deep half sucks.
They use a high RDLR style shield a bit and show some moves (mainly X guard entries and inversion from there) mostly to deal against guys who stall and keep you there.
They use a modified waiter sweep a lot.

I believe the Mendes brothers do teach it. They don't like it but they'll teach it.

From memory Rafa's took the pessimistic side of half guard. ie that it was half way to being passed. He preferred his other guards first to attack and only went to half if he was forced there which to be fair, he's probably never been forced to go to in about a decade

half guards better than full guard to me when comes to punches and no gi but u have to have a game and know what you plan to do alot of mma guys make it work wlel for them with punches being thrown so thats enough for me
trying to get super low on it pulling yourself underneath the guy making him have to whizzer you coming up for singles or sticking in butterfly hook to sweep or stand or use it to transition to leg locks x for guys like me whoa re extremely flexible and good hip movement

i hated half guard until i got my brown back in 2012 i only liked playing de la riva or reverse or spider i was afraid to get that close to someone because i was afraid of getting smashed having there weight on me thats fine with the gi but with no gi you dont have those grips and de la riva isnt a very solid position no gi its to helps top pressure but not tons of offense.

reverse is fine but getting to half guard getting up underneath the and making a good wrestling scramble is what its about to me for fighting good guys i think half guard is much more improtant no gi because he cant use grips to pin you as much as she can do is whizzer and head arm control

The Mendes bros don't use the Z guard at all and openly consider that it sucks.
The also teach that deep half sucks.
They use a high RDLR style shield a bit and show some moves (mainly X guard entries and inversion from there) mostly to deal against guys who stall and keep you there.
They use a modified waiter sweep a lot.

Gui and Rafa teach slightly different philosophies of the RDLR from what I remember of the site.

Gui teaches that the RDLR is 50/50 getting passed or hitting something. This might be influenced because he teaches all gi. I think I've seen him teach maybe just the rollover sweep from there and getting back to DLR.

Rafa teaches more traditional ATOS RDLR - kiss of Dragon, tripod sweep, transition to X guard, and rollover sweep.

They teach very little z guard, although it would fit their "control the distance" mantra. I've only seen then teach full guard recovery and transition to x guard. Some of their student instructors have taught a few things but not much.

Incidentally the AOJ website switched beck to four videos a day or so instead of ten, and only Rafa or Gui. Some of their instructors are really good, I'll miss that.

For me the Rafa videos are a lot better. Some instructors they have where even teaching inferior shit like the lockdown.

At a seminar they said something along the lines of (Mendes Bros) that they always want to control the distance and they feel half guard does not provide the best opportunity for this.

At a seminar they said something along the lines of (Mendes Bros) that they always want to control the distance and they feel half guard does not provide the best opportunity for this.

yeah its true but sometimes you need to gain control cause theres just too much space especially a guy whos super strong whos avoiding you trying to be super defensive you gotta get up into him tight so can sweep

i use to play that range game works on with the gi but without the gi you dont have grips so you need body control

I love half guard, I feel like I know what to do more often from there. One of my knees has been messed up lately so I've had to be careful and avoid it more than I'd like. I don't usually do well from full guard

yeah its true but sometimes you need to gain control cause theres just too much space especially a guy whos super strong whos avoiding you trying to be super defensive you gotta get up into him tight so can sweep

i use to play that range game works on with the gi but without the gi you dont have grips so you need body control

Yeah I agree. I definitely don't have a good enough RDLR that I can prevent huge guys from getting to half. I also used to (still do) LOVE Caio Terra's 101 half-guard DVD as a blue belt that I drilled so many time, so I still find myself there.

Everyone has their own style and beliefs etc.. Different things work for different people and strategies.

Back