Is It Too Late For Me In MMA

DaleyChamp

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have about 100 amatuer boxing matches but only started jiu jitsu less than two years ago. Ive competed at numerous tourmanents have about 30 grappling matches behind me and I'm looking to fight in mma before the end of the year. I just turned 24. Is it too late for me to ever have a pro career?

Seems like you've already decided and want validation for the choice.

Well, here it is: probably not.

Last edited:
Hell nah it's not too late. I mean, a lot of high level wrestlers don't start until their late 20's or maybe even early 30's. Daniel Cormier didn't start pro MMA until his 30's, granted, he was wrestling so many years before that, but still.. it's never too late to start anything. don't be that 40 year old guy that looks back and wishes he would've done it, instead, start now, so that you have no regrets later on in life.

No way, definitely not too late. If you start taking ammy fights now, and manage to avoid major injuries that sideline you for extended time, you could be going pro in the next couple of years. Making it to one of the big promotions obviously will come down to how good you end up being. If you’re passionate about it, you should definitely go for it. Good luck

I have about 100 amatuer boxing matches but only started jiu jitsu less than two years ago. Ive competed at numerous tourmanents have about 30 grappling matches behind me and I'm looking to fight in mma before the end of the year. I just turned 24. Is it too late for me to ever have a pro career?

100 boxing matches? Jesus no. Just lear how to sprawl/technical lift (get back on your feet like bj Penn). And you will bw fine. Wrestle

Not too late, but a better question is if you're talented enough, driven enough, and in the right training situation (or willing to move to one) where you can realistically compete for world titles. Because if not, being a pro fighter is a pretty terrible way to make a living. The fight game has very, very few winners and not all that many survivors. Life for mid level pros is uncertain and dangerous with little hope of ending up healthy and financially secure at the end of your career. So unless you think you could be a top 10 UFC fighter within a few years, I would hesitate to jump into it full time. Fighting is a fantastic mistress but a terrible wife, if you know what I mean.

You already master a major martial arts (boxing), you should be decent at BJJ after 2 years. Now you need to do MMA training (cage strategies, ground and pound, GnP defense, MMA wrestling...). Nothing you can't get while you start competing in the amateur circuit.

Most pro prospects in my area are around your age and they don't have your background in boxing. The only thing is how much you're gonna get injured while training and how much of a backstep you're gonna take from it.

It all depends on the competition you will get. Where I'm from, wrestling is so poor that , anyone with decent BJJ and good striking can become top amateurs or ''pros'' in TKO. But if you put a top wrestler in there he would pretty much destroy everybody.

If in your area there's many good wrestlers doing MMA, you need to work on your takedown defense very fast, because it's a long and difficult skill to acquire.

You've got a lot of experience already and you're still young. Absolutely have time

Its certainly not too late to start considering you already have a significant amount of combat sports experience. Do you plan on focusing on MMA and ignoring any other career growth? If so be prepared for the very likely outcome that you are unable to make a living doing MMA which means that you will have given up on some of the most productive years in establishing and growing a career. If you are doing this in addition to a career then go for it no worries.

Your age and experience is fine.

The thing that seems out of place is you have 100+ amateur boxing matches at age 24, but you want to become a pro MMA fighter.

Why didn't you go pro in boxing at some point? The same dynamics are in play for going pro in MMA.

I would say think long and hard about why you didn't go pro in boxing over the last six years given your experience. Then be honest with yourself and decide if what needs to change has changed.

Also the same rules of progression apply as with boxing. Before you even think seriously about going pro in MMA, you need to go amateur first. It's definitely not too late time wise. But you are at least two steps ahead of yourself with plans to go pro in MMA when it sounds like you haven't even found a proper gym to train at yet.

No, go for it. There's only one way to find out and that's if you try. You got 10 good years and maybe 5 decent more left. Go for it bro

Your age and experience is fine.

The thing that seems out of place is you have 100+ amateur boxing matches at age 24, but you want to become a pro MMA fighter.

Why didn't you go pro in boxing at some point? The same dynamics are in play for going pro in MMA.

I would say think long and hard about why you didn't go pro in boxing over the last six years given your experience. Then be honest with yourself and decide if what needs to change has changed.

Also the same rules of progression apply as with boxing. Before you even think seriously about going pro in MMA, you need to go amateur first. It's definitely not too late time wise. But you are at least two steps ahead of yourself with plans to go pro in MMA when it sounds like you haven't even found a proper gym to train at yet.
Ive just always prefered mma didn't have the same love for boxing thats why i never pursued going pro in boxing!

Taking pro fights is a super far way from being professional.

If you are willing to actually work on your wrestling and not throw the stereotype striker hissy fit over getting man handled at first and do the right things it’s not too late at all.

In fact I’d imagine adjusting your striking and stance to kicking might be the hardest thing because you e boxed so long

I would say you are primed and ready to get going. Way ahead of most guys coming in.

You live in new jersey? I'm looking for some training partners. Me and a guy at the Y were doing a drill where he only can punch me and I just practice the mechanics of going for the takedown. With your background you can help out a lot. I might be of some help, I can help you practice kicks and muay thai clinch, and help you with elbows (even though that's not really allowed in amatuer mma. If you want to fight amatuer first). Anyways PM me if your in new jersey and want to help me train too.

Edit: I have 5 years of muay thai and boxing too and have brief bjj training. I could use all the help I can get.

Last edited:
100 boxing matches? jesus man at 24 thats wild

Back